Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal visa and work in EU  (Read 391 times)

• Liked: 0
Spousal visa and work in EU
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
I am British, my husband American. We live in China but are about to move back to the UK. My husband just got his spousal visa. My question is whether the visa would allow him to work in Italy like me? I used to work for a British company (language school) that runs summer camps in Italy and they want us both to work there for 2weeks this summer, a good little job for us before we start our real ones. He would be paid in pounds, by a British company, but the hours he would work would be in  Italy. Any idea if that's allowed, or how we can find out? Thanks, Imogen

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Spousal visa and work in EU
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »
He is entitled to work in the EU if you are working in the same country, but he is likely to need a visa in advance - different countries interpret this law in different ways so I am not sure.  You will need to contact the Italian Embassy and ask them about a visa for the spouse of an EEA citizen who is in Italy excercising her treaty rights.

Of course, it may be that Italy have a different visa for this sort of 'secondment' so ask about this too.

The fact that he has a UK visa has no bearing on his rights to work elsewhere in the EU.
Vicky
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:16:21 PM by VictoriaS »

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:10:03 PM »
You would have to exercise your EU right of abode in Italy, and most likely your husband should apply for a work visa in/through Italy.  If it is only for two weeks, all the paperwork might be more of a hassle then it is worth, though.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »
So will it make no difference at all that it will be a British company employing him? It is the company he works for in the UK. By the sounds of things it's not worth it for two weeks. I've lived in Italy before and I know well how the bureaucracy can be a nightmare. Thanks for your replies!

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:06:10 AM »
You really should contact the Italian consulate to double check...they may have a category of visa that allows for this that we are not aware of.

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 01:03:25 PM »
You really should contact the Italian consulate to double check...they may have a category of visa that allows for this that we are not aware of.

I was surprised to learn that Italy gives citizenship to spouses of Italians after 3 years of marriage and NO residence requirement at all  ::)

It just goes to show ya that things can be radically different in other places, even in the EU...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab