Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: VCR VHS movies  (Read 4971 times)

• Liked: 0
VCR VHS movies
« on: January 10, 2004, 05:04:20 PM »
We were hoping to bring some of our daughters disney movie collection as she loves to watch them. Will my vhs videos work in the vcr's there.    
Thanks
Cad

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: VCR VHS movies
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 05:07:36 PM »
We have a dual format VCR which can play PAL (European) and NSTC (US) formats.  They are slightly more expensive, but may be worth it if you want to keep NSTC tapes.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 05:54:45 PM »

"We have a dual format VCR which can play PAL (European) and NSTC (US) formats.  They are slightly more expensive, but may be worth it if you want to keep NSTC tapes. "

Did you buy yours off line like someone else did here? or did you buy yours in the shops?

Just trying to get an idea on prices,because as I told Trish we will need both multi  region  VCR and DVD players
                Cheers!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 06:03:29 PM »
I believe hubby bought that VCR from QVC UK.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 07:20:50 PM »
NTSC (American) compatible VCRs are quite common in the UK and can be found in most high street electronic shops (Dixons, Currys, Comet, etc).  The one my boyfriend bought last year was around $230.  I'm sure they can be found for considerably less though.  

Keep in mind they'll only PLAY NTSC, not record in it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 07:26:33 PM by Terinth »

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 07:38:16 PM »

Ta ladies,I think we will be looking in the electronic shops in Stockton,hopefully find a good deal  :)

Ta Terinth for the info,and I will only be wanting to play them ,but good to keep in mind .

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 07:51:55 PM »
Make sure your tv is NTSC compatable too!  If it isn't you might find that your picture is distored or only in black and white....quite a disappointment!  

By the way, we have a multi-region vcr which was £40 and a dvd player which was £30 and they work with US movies great!

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 08:03:39 PM »

" Make sure your tv is NTSC compatable too!  If it isn't you might find that your picture is distored or only in black and white....quite a disappointment! "

Oh ta! well how much more are the NTSC tvs then?  

" By the way, we have a multi-region vcr which was £40 and a dvd player which was £30 and they work with US movies great! "

Well dont leave me in suspense spill the beans where did you get yours then? ;D

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 04:16:36 PM »
:)

The tv's aren't really any more at all.  Just need to check that they are compatible before you buy.  My father in-law has two tv's and we bought him a multi-region dvd player for Christmas.  The American dvd's only played on colour on his little cheap tv tho!  So it shouldn't really cost more on the tv side...you just need to check before you buy.

The vcr came from Dixons about 5-6 years ago, and the DVD player we got from Amazon.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 07:51:26 PM »
Hahah.  Yep, you'll need to have it converted.  You can usually find a local shop that will do standard tape conversions.  It can run between about $15 to $50 per VHS tape, depending on the length of the tape and the quality of the conversion.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 02:43:08 PM »
We just bought our oldest a VCR that plays NTSC tapes on a PAL TV - so the TV didn't even have to be "compatible," per se.  It was about £60 or so at a Sainsbury's Savacentre.  His grandmother tapes manga series for him off Cartoon Network in the US and sends him the tapes.  We caved in and bought him the VCR and TV so we wouldn't have to fight about him monopolising the lounge to watch this stuff!

The multi-region DVD we bought we got off of Amazon.co.uk for around £75 and it's great.  I don't think you can get multi-region DVD players in-store over here - just off the web.  At least, we couldn't find any in the stores and we LOOKED!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 02:44:03 PM »
P.S. - cad, I have two boys aged 15 and 10 - can you imagine how many Disney tapes we moved over?!  :o

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 05:22:20 PM »
peedal, I could only imagine we have about 40 movies and our daughter is only three!!!! I just dread the thought of how many she will have when she is fifteen  ???

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 08:14:06 PM »
I don't think you can get multi-region DVD players in-store over here - just off the web.  At least, we couldn't find any in the stores and we LOOKED!

This is really the husband's dept but from what I understand, almost all region 1 dvd players you can buy in the shops here can be "hacked" using the remote control to reset the perimeters to be multi-region.

I know the website he usually refers to in order to help other friends convert their dvd players is http://www.dvd365.net/

Again, I'm no expert but I know it can be done. When you take your player to a shop and pay them like £50 or whatever to make it region free, they usually only just punch a few numbers into the remote control and take your cash.  >:(

Having said that, we bought our online already region free.  :D

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 11:01:19 AM »
Yeah - there's a few websites with the codes so you can "region-free" your DVD player just using your remote control.  We're looking into doing this for my husband's parents' DVD so we can share DVDs we get from the States.

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab