Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tourist Visa  (Read 778 times)

• Liked: 0
Tourist Visa
« on: June 14, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »
How strict are they about the 6months?  Can you get a 2 week extension?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:59:47 PM »
Only in extreme circumstances, ie illness, death etc.  However, if you apply by post before the initial 6 months expires, they will probably take two weeks to get back to you with a refusal, and you will be legal for this time.

If you have an onward flight back home two weeks after your visit visa expires, you can probably pop to France and come back.

Victoria

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:09:49 PM »
The tourist visa is for 6months but do they mean consecutive?  I left for a week and went to norway does that mean the visa starts over again?

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »
When you came back from Norway you should have been stamped with another 6 months, but check.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »
When I first came over it was for 8 days and I had a 6 month stamp,when I came over for the second time it was again stamped for 6 months. I stayed for the full 6 months, I was told the first trip for 8 days had no effect on the 6 months the second time.

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:56:55 PM »
The important thing is what the stamp says.  If you didn't get a second stamp when you came back from Norway, then you are stuck with six months from the date you first entered.  If they did stamp your passport coming back from Norway, you have six months from that date.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »
I've heard so many conflicting things about the 6 month stamp.  Some say that you can't be in the country for more then 6 months in any given 12 month period.  But then on the other hand, I know someone who kept getting new 6 month stamps for almost 2 years!  She literally lived in the UK for 2 years before her marriage on a visitor visa.  She never bothered to get a fiance visa.  She travelled back and forth from the states several times and never had problems at immigrations or getting a new 6 month stamp.  I don't get how it works...I've been bullied at immigrations several times.  Perhaps it depends on who the IO is and what type of mood their in  ::)

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 10:38:44 AM »
There is no rule to say that you can't do more than 6 months in a 12 month period - Kristina, you are dead right, it depends on the mood of the IO.

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »
I've heard so many conflicting things about the 6 month stamp.  Some say that you can't be in the country for more then 6 months in any given 12 month period.  But then on the other hand, I know someone who kept getting new 6 month stamps for almost 2 years!  She literally lived in the UK for 2 years before her marriage on a visitor visa.  She never bothered to get a fiance visa.  She travelled back and forth from the states several times and never had problems at immigrations or getting a new 6 month stamp.  I don't get how it works...I've been bullied at immigrations several times.  Perhaps it depends on who the IO is and what type of mood their in  ::)

My BIL's friend had a wife that did this.  They are married with a child and she would leave the country every six months to get her visitor visa 'renewed'.  Last time, they went to France and when returning, she was deported because she was doing this.  She had to go back to Canada and get a proper visa, which took about 8 weeks because of what she had been doing.

Of course, my husband was really angry when I said that I didn't feel that bad for her because she could've just went to Canada and got the visa earlier, saving her family this heartache. 

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:49 AM »
Being picky...she was merely refused entry, not deported.  But I agree....minimal sympathy.

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 11:03:32 AM »
Being picky...she was merely refused entry, not deported.  But I agree....minimal sympathy.

Vicky

Oops..yes, not deported.  Btw..I'm glad someone agrees with me! :)

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 12:43:49 AM »
I have a new stamp in my passport but I figured they could just scan your passport to see if you ever left? 

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 01:40:37 AM »
I went to Amsterdam for a little minibreak when I was in the UK for about a month (and only staying for a week after this break) and when we got back in to Dover they looked at my passport and stamped it again for another 6 months...so that might work. But they did ask me when I was leaving and I was honest, if they suspect anything fishy they'll jump on you. It depends on the immigration person you get, and what day they're having  ::)
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

• My blog!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 04:37:39 AM »
I have a new stamp in my passport but I figured they could just scan your passport to see if you ever left? 

It matters what the stamp in your passport says.  That is the official "record" of what date you have to leave by.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 01:55:26 PM »
Okay got a new 6 month stamp so I guess I am good. 

Sponsored Links