Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit- Quit/Laid off Job  (Read 590 times)

• Liked: 0
Work Permit- Quit/Laid off Job
« on: June 19, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »
long story short.  in the next 6-9 months I may be out of a job.  since my stay in this country is tied to this job (i have a work permit).  this will pose some problems.

my question is this: from the date of termination/leaving job/etc how long am i allowed to stay in the country?  (ie how long do i have to find another job, get into school, marry the boy, etc). 

i'm really hoping this company hubbla stays stable until sep 08, the magic date where i will hopefully be getting an ILR.  no more visa stress!

If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Re: Work Permit- Quit/Laid off Job
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:30:34 PM »
If this happens, I believe you've got 28 days to sort your visa out before you become an overstayer. (This is what I remember from previous postings, anyway!)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
28 days.  ouch.  well i better start writing the resume and looking for jobs now.  such uncertainty though.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:58:13 PM »
Check out the work permit portion on the Home Office site.  Evidently, it;s not really that difficult for some other company to sponsor you once you already have a work permit.  They lead you to believe it's really just a matter of paperwork.  I say start looking for a new job now before you get too close to the deadline.  GOOD LUCK!!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:00:49 AM »
The thing that makes it easier is that as long as it is a similar job then the new company won't have to fulfil the advertising criteria.

Good luck.

Vicky

Sponsored Links