Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Maternity Cloths - Can U wait or Are you willing?  (Read 9181 times)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Maternity Cloths - Can U wait or Are you willing?
« on: January 16, 2004, 01:01:05 PM »
Since there are a couple of us that are "with child" as my dad calls it.  Sounds so old and proper.  That's how he's been breaking the news to his friends and distant cousins on the phone... Have you heard?  My daughter is with child  ::)   [smiley=embarassed.gif]  [smiley=square.gif]  It's so 50'ish or something like that.  But I gotta love it.  He's VERY, VERY EXCITED.  Will be his first grandchild at 65!!

So one to what I orginally was going to say.  I have a thing about maternity clothes and **will not** wear them until I absolutely have too.  So to try and change my mind my best friend in NY took me to Pea and the Pod http://www.apeainthepod.com/home.asp and Mimi Maternity http://www.mimimaternity.com/home.aspwhere I brought some really, cool, hipster matenity jeans, sweaters, and blouses, hipster short-shorts for the summer, etc.   I must admit the clothes in Pea in the Pod were very trendy, hip, and colorful.  Not your mother's maternity clothes.  You know, like little ribbons, bows or little teddy bears on your turtleneck kind of stuff.  Eeeek.  I forewarned my mother don't you even think of buying me anything remotely that looks like that.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]   And tht goes for the diaper bag as well.  Funny story my bestfriend back in NY is 7 months and is getting a Kate Spade diaperbag.  As a chuckle I went into Louis Vuitton  [smiley=joker.gif] to price their diaperbag - WOW!!!  :o :o  [smiley=stars.gif] You can get a diaperbag and have your little one lay on a Louie for a mere $1,000..  Well, I'll just go and buy one of thoses knockoff tote bags then  [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Are you excited to wear them or can you wait?

On another note, I've been doing some research for maternitywear in the UK.  Here are a couple of sites that I found.  Jojo Maman Bebe doesn't look too bad.  I also found out that Gap has a maternity line as well.  For now I'll sqeeze into my regular jeans  ;)

http://www.bumpsmaternity.com/index2.html
http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/
http://www.seraphine.com/

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 01:02:22 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Liked: 2
Re: Maternity Cloths - Can U wait or Are you willi
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 01:27:53 PM »
I can definitely wait and in fact as it will be summer when I am in my 3rd trimester I am hoping I can get away with t-shirts or vests and shorts and flip flops most of the time. I am a bit bummed I will be so huge in summer actually and won't be able to wear any of my usual cute little skirts and dresses ... I know you're not supposed to mind that or at least not admit it if you do but there you go I do jolly well mind!  

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 01:30:39 PM »
www.next.co.uk

www.mothercare.co.uk

www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk

www.avenue-des-bebes.com

www.laredoute.co.uk

www.vertbaudet.co.uk

www.funmum.com

www.dorothyperkins.co.uk

www.mamasandpapas.co.uk

H&M has a maternity line as well, but you can't look at it or buy it online.

I was in maternity clothes at 10 weeks, and I have had a neverending struggle with maternity clothes in England ever since. It's made me madder during this pregnancy than anything in the entire universe. *can feel her blood boiling right now* GRRRRR!!!!

I have 1 dress that fits me.
I have 1 pair of trousers.
THAT'S IT.
I do a lot of bloody laundry, and am sick of looking the same.
I've ended up buying a lot of scarves & jewelry to change the way this bloody dress looks!

TOTALLY take advantage of any time you can spend in the US buying maternity clothes. The only things I fit into right now were bought there from Target & Motherhood Maternity. If you like something a lot, buy it in your current size and the next size up. You might not think you'll ever fit into, but you will.

Also...

A. Good luck finding a place you can actually *go* to. I thought Cambridge would be a big enough town to have maternity clothes, or that their Next or Dorothy Perkins would have their maternity lines on display. Do they? No. The only place is Mothercare, who's clothes I've found to be mediocre, and THEY DON'T HAVE A FITTING ROOM.

B. Be prepared to spend a hundred kazillion pounds.

Here are some hints from me:

1. The under-the-bump jeans with elasticated BACK (front looks like normal jeans) are fine for a small period of time. When you're smaller the elastic in the back is bunched up and looks bad with a shirt that shows it. When you're too big, they don't fit hardly at all. So they look good for only a little while.

2. Even though they are fugly, you'll end up buying a pair of trousers with those gigantic elastic front panels. Eventually you'll go for comfort, believe me - and plus most tops cover that elasticy bit.

3. Buy your own size, really. Believe them. But also know that your own size will change because you will gain weight everywhere, even if it's only a little. And if you're like me and my bump is way bigger than the rest of me, youll have to get a bigger size anyway and live with baggy legs just so you can acommodate your hugeness.

4. I've really liked the Next Maternity clothes, and Blooming Marvellous. LeRedoute was ok, and online their selection is now just clearance, I don't know if they are phasing it out or what. Jojomaman was ok as well, but their stock doesn't change very often, not as much as Next or Blooming Marvellous does.  

5. If you live in London I hope and pray that you don't struggle like I have!!! Good luck!

6. I found that when my bump was growing fast, maternity tights really helped ease the pain. I even wore them under trousers because they just offered so much support - much better than a maternity belt. For me, anyway.

7. If you've got morning sickness, buy under the bump clothes! You will *so* regret having an elastic band around your belly if you're still barfing. Cross my heart.

8. Marks & Spencers don't make maternity clothes, but I like their maternity panties and bras. They have a limited selection, but they are WAY comfortable. I bought a maternity bra ASAP since my breasts hurt so badly, and it made a big difference.

*goes off to pout now*
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 01:33:02 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 01:41:14 PM »
.... I am a bit bummed I will be so huge in summer actually and won't be able to wear any of my usual cute little skirts and dresses ... I know you're not supposed to mind that or at least not admit it if you do but there you go I do jolly well mind!  

Hey I'm right with you!!  I love my sexy, little strapless numbers, thong bikinis, my hip shorts, etc..  and am dreading the fact that I won't fit into my hot, little racy numbers!!  I'll be full blown in the summer as well.  My mother looks at me with disgust when I get upset and talk about how **big** I am going to get and how I can't wear that or this, etc.  But my best friend who is in her second child said not to feel guilty for those feelings.  Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you can't be sexy and hang out on the beach in a thong once you're back to your normal weight.

As for maternity, I'm just going to get my stuff in Pea in the Pod.  For me that was the best bet.  My mom and my best friend already have my orders from there and will be sending them to me through the mail.  But I'll be back in NY for my amnio the end of March so I will definitely be hitting Pea in the Pod while I'm there.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 01:42:33 PM »

Sara don't scare me like that I was hoping I could get through the first 3 months at least! Oh well I guess I'd better pop along to H&M and see what they've got that isn't too ugly and too expensive. At least here in London I can go to the bigger branches of some of the chainstores you've mentioned so I'll stop grumbling now.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »
Well I was in maternity clothes a LOT sooner than anyone I knew. It was all bump. I was a UK size 8 when I got pregnant, I'm now a UK size 10 but my bump is a UK size 560. My mom carried like me, ALL out front, and it means going into maternity clothes faster. If you're like most women though, you've got a longer wait than that! Me, I'm just having a Godzilla baby...

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 01:45:25 PM »
NYSOM thanks I am glad it isn't just me! I feel  lots better for that!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 01:50:29 PM »
I *love* shopping, and *love* clothes, and this whole bloody maternity clothes thing has depressed me to no end. I can't WAIT to wear something nice again! :( Or to wear a bra that doesn't look like two tents...

[smiley=bigcry.gif]

I still feel beautiful, and I wouldn't give up my bump for the universe, but it is definitely hard going from wearing hip-huggers and really cute tops to wearing things you wouldn't buy in a million years otherwise.

Most women don't have to deal with this until much later, so I hope I'm not scaring you ladies... I just wish I had taken better advantage of Target when I was home.  [smiley=bigcry.gif]

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 01:55:36 PM »
Wow - I couldn't WAIT to buy maternity clothes when I found out I was pregnant both times.  I was so excited about the whole adventure...I got some really nice work-appropriate things from Sears and Target when I was pregnant.

But then, I've never been much for designer-wear.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 02:08:14 PM »
Wow - I couldn't WAIT to buy maternity clothes when I found out I was pregnant both times.  I was so excited about the whole adventure...I got some really nice work-appropriate things from Sears and Target when I was pregnant.

But then, I've never been much for designer-wear.

So was my mom Peedal.  :) :D  That's why she looks at me in disgust nowadays.   >:(  :o But I must admit, I'm a slave to fashion and to my body shape.  And when I know my body looks awesome --- well hence I am more confident, sexier and can wear anything I want.  It's a great feeling.  So when you're not use to that it's a huge emotional tug-o-war for some women.  Ummm, hmmm like myself.

I'm hoping I will feel that way in the coming months, we'll see.  I may sound selfish but it's hard giving up a svelte body you've worked so hard to maintain over the years and for me that is the god's honest truth.  That's why I felt it was so important for me to get some really hip maternity clothes and I hope that will do the trick.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 02:09:12 PM by NYState_of_Mind »

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 02:25:52 PM »
I'm not what you'd call a slave to fashion nor am I usually tiny (UK size 14 and busty) but I do have my own style (I like to think anyway!) but anyway as I haven't actually even looked for any maternity clothes yet I should save my complaining til I see what is(n't) on offer. I wouldn't care so much if I would be huge in winter but in summer I wil miss wearing sun dresses etc and will I even be able to reach my toe nails to put varnish on???

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 02:37:43 PM »
... will I even be able to reach my toe nails to put varnish on???

Hey that's what our husband's are for !! ;)  Or they can make sure we get ourselves pampered every week and take us to the nearest salon :D

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 02:42:25 PM »

Hey that's what our husband's are for !! ;)  Or they can make sure we get ourselves pampered every week and take us to the nearest salon :D

of course! can't wait to see Stu's face as I had him the nail varnish tee hee

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 02:47:21 PM »
It has been nice having a gigantic hot water bottle on me at all times this winter... especially since my coat doesn't button up anymore. :) Glad I'm this big in the winter definitely...

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 02:38:41 PM »
Oh well the inevitable is happeneing ... I am about to burst out of most of my skirts and trousers ... I have a few drawstring waists that will last me a bit longer but I'm gonna need some suitable for work gear in the next few weeks and I don't have the dosh to buy a whole lot .. does anyone know anywhere that sells second hand maternity wear in London area? I have seen a few things on Ebay that would be up my street but when it comes to clothes I like to try before I buy really.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab