Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Listing Current Salary When Unemployed  (Read 11622 times)

• Liked: 0
Listing Current Salary When Unemployed
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:02 AM »
I'm running across a lot of positions that ask you to list your current salary in the cover letter. How do you deal with that request when you are currently unemployed?

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Listing Current Salary When Unemployed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »
I would put how much you made in your last job.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 07:37:15 PM »
But since your aim is to move upward, state, "I am looking for a job with a salary range of X pounds." Ask for 10 percent more than you would absolutley settle for, so you have some bargaining leeway.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »
is it standard to put salary range on a CV?  isn't this an interview discussion point?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
I didn't put it on my CV but I did list it in my cover letter and in the appropriate field on job applications when it was requested. I know it probably put me out of the running for several jobs because my previous salary in the US was normally at least 2x the salary of the job I was applying for.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »
I've never put currnet salary on a CV.  In interview, the standard would be to say salary expectation, which might be wildly different from what you are currently earning.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »

I would never put my salary on my CV nor the cover letter. Stating a range in the cover letter is ok but I usually don't do that unless they are being strict about it. I wait until I am asked and then state a range. Remember your don't want to undercut yourself.

The way I look at it, its all about the position that is available and whether your skills/experience match it.

Example - I once hired a guy that was making "X" in his current position, he had previously earned a lot more but was laid off so took something in the interim. When it came time to decide on his salary my HR dept tried to undercut him because of his current salary. Leave it to HR to try and screw someone. My point to HR was "what he is making now is irrelevant to me, its what he brings to the position and I believe he is worth "X".

Bottom line, it can be such a game and you have to look out for yourself so don't show your cards until you have to.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »
jules- i agree entirely.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:22:44 PM »
jules- i agree entirely.

Thanks meggles. If only everyone agreed with us...life would be a lot easier!   :)

If only employers would understand that its easier to recruit and keep a happy, productive employee rather than piss them off and have to rehire and retrain. It's not rocket science but the majority just don't get it even though they sometimes talk the talk.  ::)

I have had "my day in court" more than once with HR when it comes to hiring.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:01 PM »
I agree that it's definitely better to dodge this question until interview time.

The problem, however, that I think tanis, and certainly I have experienced in applying for jobs over here is that many require their own application in lieu of a CV, and have specific spaces where they request your latest salary. A bit harder to dodge in those circumstances.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 02:34:18 PM »
*hijacks*

Okay, so here's my (horrible) situation.  I got laid off from a bank in 2005.  I worked crap jobs until July 2006, when I left to move to MI.  I never made it past orientation for work in MI because I broke my foot and had to move back home.  Since 2006, I have been doing odd-jobs that pop up, selling jewelry, house sitting, dog walking, running websites, etc. 

So would I put my salary from 2005 at the bank since that's the last time I actually earned a significant salary?

I'm also not even sure what to do with my CV, but that's another question entirely.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »
If you absolutely have too ( and I recommend not at all ) and you want to put a figure down..I would put a salary bracket down that you would be happy to earn within..otherwise your details will look a little sketchy on your C.V.

Also as for your C.V.  I would suggest you have a Personal Attributes section at the top and you can mention your bits and bobs work due to your foot problem..but now you are fit and healthy again and looking for a firmer position.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »
If you absolutely have too ( and I recommend not at all ) and you want to put a figure down..I would put a salary bracket down that you would be happy to earn within..otherwise your details will look a little sketchy on your C.V.

Also as for your C.V.  I would suggest you have a Personal Attributes section at the top and you can mention your bits and bobs work due to your foot problem..but now you are fit and healthy again and looking for a firmer position.

That sounds like a good idea.  I know it's not something usually on a resume, but if it's an okay thing for a CV, I'd add it.

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
Its perfectly acceptable here.  I always appreciate them more because it gives me a further insight into what people are looking for and why they are seeking work again  :)

This might help a little

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=43496.0
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
Its perfectly acceptable here.  I always appreciate them more because it gives me a further insight into what people are looking for and why they are seeking work again  :)

This might help a little

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=43496.0

Thanks!

I just found a position I want to apply for at Lincoln University, so I need to get my butt in gear!

Sponsored Links