Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Length of relationship (spousal visa) question  (Read 500 times)

• Liked: 0
Length of relationship (spousal visa) question
« on: June 23, 2006, 02:43:47 PM »
Hi, all.  I have a quick question.  Does anyone have any idea about how long a relationship has spanned in relation to obtaining a spousal visa?

I ask because my fiance and I are considering going this route rather than the fiance visa since we both know we want to get married, anyway, and it would save a bit of $/hassle.  However, I'd like to avoid any red flags, if we do decide to get married in the US and then I apply for a spousal visa.

Will the application requirements change in any way in relation to the length of the relationship?  It's viable, btw, we have proof of it but it has been quick.

Re: Length of relationship (spousal visa) question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 03:00:01 PM »
I'm not sure, my husband and I are doing the spousal visa but we've been a couple for over 7 years. I don't think it matters too much, as long as it isn't REALLY fast. May I ask how long you've been together?
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
Sure.  We met online in May; talked nonstop (4-8 hours/day) until he came over for 2 weeks (left Sunday) and are sure we want to be together.  Fortunately, we're both over 40 and know what we want from life.  We're considering the possibilities:

1) I have a potential job w/my company that will be decided by June 30 so could have a work permit but we will be living about 3 hours from each other.  Not great but doable.

2) We both want to get married and have decided that, though it is fast, it would be easier than getting a fiance visa because of the repeated cost - not a big deal, really.  We both make good $$$ but seems stupid to waste it.  We already know we want marriage, and the proof of relationship thing for fiance visa may be troublesome given the time span although we both have lots of concrete evidence.

Lastly, I'm personally not worried about how it looks because we've both been around the block and having been fortunate enough to find each other, I've ceased questioning how others might view our relationship.  We are waiting until I hear word about the job before deciding what to do.  I'm trying to find out what the options really are beforehand.  Thanks for your response!

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:19:45 PM »
Hmmm...yeah I'd try the job thing first. I'm relatively new to the immigration stuff (have been researching it for awhile but only in depth recently). I'm not sure if you would have a better chance with the fiancee visa or the spousal one. From what I've noticed they seem to view the relationship a bit more severely in the fiancee visa and view finances more in the spousal visa, but obvious the relationship is still important. Maybe someone more experienced in this will have more information for you.
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:29:36 PM »
Thanks!  I've come to the same conclusion: fiance visa - more proof of relationship; spousal - more proof of finances/support.  We're both successful so I imagine that if we decide to go the spousal visa route, it will not be a problem.  I will have relationship proof as a backup, though.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:02:22 PM »
actually, finances probably count for more with the fiancee visa because the fiancee cannot work for a period of potentially up to six months, which could lead to financial strain in a one-income household.  with a spouse visa the spouse can work immediately, so the possible financial burden is eased if they indicate that they are employable in the UK (through CV's, degree certificates etc.)   I'm definitely not an expert though, but I know this very issue has been discussed on this board before.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 03:41:51 AM »
Not sure length has as much to do with it as proof. Keep everything...emails, phone bills, pics, you name it. I think that would be the key.
Terri P O'Neale

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 12:44:55 AM »
Length of relationship should be irrelevant...it is intent which is crucial.

Vicky

Sponsored Links