Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions about citizenship application - born to Brit mother in USA pre-1983  (Read 460 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello everyone - question from a newbie on this board!

I'm an American citizen born in the USA to a British mother in 1978. I recently found out that nationality rules have changed and that people born to British mothers before 1983 may be eligible to register as British citizens, and I'd like to take advantage of this to get dual nationality with the UK.

Has anyone on this board applied for British nationality under these rules? I'm interested in hearing about other people's experiences with this.

I'm also having a bit of trouble figuring out the exact requirements from the Home Office website. Would I need to take the cultural awareness test? Are there any UK obligations I should be aware of before applying (such as taxes, etc.)?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

-- Cat

My husband did this. No, you don't need to take a test. Citizenship is your RIGHT. Fill out the form on the website and send it in-hubby's took about a month if memory serves.

There are a few threads about this in here, if you go to the search box and enter "ukm" there are four or five threads that pop up..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:09:03 PM by Saf »

• Does my bum look big in this?
I did this as well...it was pretty painless and I love my little maroon passport!!!  [smiley=heart.gif]
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

My husband did this. No, you don't need to take a test. Citizenship is your RIGHT. Fill out the form on the website and send it in-hubby's took about a month if memory serves.

There are a few threads about this in here, if you go to the search box and enter "ukm" there are four or five threads that pop up..

Ah! Thanks! This is really encouraging, and I didn't know the term to search on. I'll check that out pronto. Neat!

• Hi there.
I did this as well, in 2004.  First I sent in all the paperwork to be registered as a citizen.  The most important bits were my mother's and my birth certificates.  It took a few months for it to be processed (maybe about 4 or 5), then I got notice that my application was successful.  I then had to go to the embassy (this is all in the US) to say an oath and I got my certificate.  I then applied for my passport.  That was faster than the application for registration.

That's it.  Now I have my UK passport and I use it when I travel to the UK.  (Only for entering the UK though; I use my US passport at all other points.)
Liz

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab