Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa application question  (Read 1566 times)

• Liked: 3
Visa application question
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:50:35 PM »
I'm in the process of applying for my student visa and it asks for my address in the UK. At this point, I'm not sure where I'm going to be living and it looks like I may not know that until late July or early August. Do I put the university's address? I don't want to wait too long to apply for the visa.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
Re: Visa application question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:54:26 AM »
I'm running into that same problem, so I'm just putting my boyfriend's address and ticking "Staying with Friends" option.  I don't know if this is the best, since the address is obviously in a different county than the uni I'm attending.  Does anyone have tips on this?  Last time I applied for a student visa, I already had a place to live.  Perhaps ticking "Hotel" is the best option & then pick a random one you might stay in.  From what I know, the address doesn't go on file or anything, since you fill out that form the day you actually ENTER the UK with an address as well (and I assume that's the one you're recorded under).
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »
It was my understanding that you did not have to provide a specific (flat number/hall) to receive your visa but you did have to have proof of accommodation in the form of the official offer/fees letter which I just received from my Uni this past week. 

If you are travelling with a spouse or S/O, child, etc. their need to show accommodation is greater so that's where you may have to wait but that's just my layman's understanding of the requirements. 

Perhaps someone who has gone through it will know more.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 04:05:08 PM »
I suppose, but then not everyone is going to live in halls.  I plan on finding my own accomodation, so there's no way to have an address or even a guess until I actually move or at least only a couple of weeks before (provided I can find something online - worth a try, but doubtful).
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
I think the problem is when you are planning to live in university residences, but you don't have the official letter with an exact address yet.  In that case, I would wait until you get your accomodation offer before applying for the visa.  In Aless' case, I think putting down a temporary address is fine since that's where she's going to be before she finds her own place.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:58:14 PM »
That's a good idea. I have friends in Bristol, so maybe I'll just put their address since it's close enough to the university. Hopefully I'll know the exact address when I arrive in September. Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:54:56 PM »
It's going to have an impact financially. You'll need to prove to the university that you have the necessary funding to support yourself which will include money for accomodation. For example, I lived with my then bf (now dh) when I came over to go to uni. I had the choice of either coming up with the 10K for a year or giving them all sorts of documents (bank statements, proof that he owned a house, etc.) to prove that he could support me. The university wouldn't release my official offer letter until all of that was sorted out and the letter was needed for entry clearance (this was before you actually needed to pre-apply for a student visa - you just showed up and they granted it in immigration at the airport).

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 04:33:51 AM »
I've made myself a little checklist, in preparation for the big send-off (to happen as soon as my loan letter comes in the mail):

- Cover letter (giving details that aren't provided for in the application, such as the fact that I already have a place to live lined up, and the plea to give me 1 Sep as an entry date, since I have already bought the ticket - can I use the excuse of having time to 'settle' and find a job before courses start??)
- passport
- letter of confirmation from the uni
- loan letter
- bank statement, showing the amount of my personal savings
- e-mails between me & new landlady, affirming that I have housing, paid the deposit, etc.  These e-mails have proof of address on them & verification of my deposit being sent.  We're not signing an actual contract until my arrival, so I have nothing paper to show them other than these e-mails.
- necessary photos

Am I forgetting anything?

EDIT: I just found the follow on the British Council website: Planned part-time and vacation earnings will not usually be taken as proof that you can support yourself financially.  No need to mention that I have a job probably lined up, because it won't help my case.  In fact, I can just say I want to enter on 1 Sep in order to have time to FIND a job! ;)

Also, the housing e-mails have the amount of rent, so that should help my case for funding, since the rent's quite low.

I've already bought the plane ticket for 1 Sep, so I desperately want that date.  I haven't asked my parents for a letter of support this time around, and I'm a bit nervous.  By the calculator, I have enough money at the moment to cover tuition & housing, plus extra - so good enough, no?  Last time I applied, I used my parents as "guarantors" of sorts, so the ECOs gave me no problems at all about funds.  Should I do it to be ultra-safe, or just take my chances that that might flag me for a phone interview or something?  I'm going to try and be clear as possible in my cover letter.

Doing it in person was so much easier!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:43:25 AM by Aless »

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 11:11:13 AM »
The amount you need should be mentioned in your letter from Royal Holloway- my letter says I need about £6000 for living expenses (bare minimum), and between my two loans I have about £8000 above and beyond my tuition costs (mostly because my housing is semi-expensive!)  Even with that much money I'm planning on using my parents as a supplementary source of income for the application, just to show that they have enough money to support me with start up expenses before I get my student loans as well as enough to help me out if I somehow run into a financial emergency (which I shouldn't, but it's good to have a backup.) Most of the money my parents are giving me now will be paid back out of my student loans and I'm not planning to ask them for any money once I've got my loans and I've got a job, but I figure it'll be good if I can use their financial resources to help my case (especially since I have almost no money of my own and no savings.)

To be honest, I wouldn't mention anything about a job in the cover letter- the point is to prove you can completely support yourself for the entire year WITHOUT being employed (which is why I took out a private loan.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 11:15:27 AM by Andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »
There is no harm at all in mentioning the job.  Certainly do not lie and say that you need time to find one if you know this is not the case.

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »
Good to know, Vicky - I'm just completely paranoid  ::)  Maybe I need to relax a little bit, hehe.  :P
Now a triple citizen!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 04:00:12 PM »
Well I sent my stuff off today! I got the second loan letter in the mail last night, so I packed everything up to go today. The guy said it should be there by Monday, so hopefully I'll have some information soon! Wish me luck!

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
I have a simple question I can not seem to find an answer to.  Are my children on my fiance application enough or do I have to submit and application for each of them at the same time? If I do can some one please tell me what form I need!

I have submitted my application where I indicated that I had two children wtih their details that were traveling with me.  I do not want to be denied in New York because I did not complete everything properly!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Kris

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 05:02:32 PM »
I have a simple question I can not seem to find an answer to.  Are my children on my fiance application enough or do I have to submit and application for each of them at the same time? If I do can some one please tell me what form I need!

I have submitted my application where I indicated that I had two children wtih their details that were traveling with me.  I do not want to be denied in New York because I did not complete everything properly!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Kris

You need to fill out separate application forms (and pay separate fees) for each of your children.  I'm not sure what all the application will entail, but I'm sure someone else can answer that question for you.
Now a triple citizen!

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 10:42:51 PM »
You need to fill out separate application forms (and pay separate fees) for each of your children.  I'm not sure what all the application will entail, but I'm sure someone else can answer that question for you.

They each need a VAF-2 and pay the full fee ($494) for each child.  Assuming they are under 18, they would be dependent minor children of someone settling in the UK.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links