Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Choosing names for the baby  (Read 2939 times)

Re: Choosing names for the baby
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 11:35:49 PM »

Hi Liz!

Congradulations! :) As for my two pence on the issue I think its really, really important for a name to reflect one's ancestry so why not consider a Persian name as the first? Or at minimal like you said the middle. Arabic based names are so full of meaning and gorgeous that I don't see how you can resist! ;) I also think it helps one be a unique individual, honour ancestors and  rightly aknowledge who they are in "multicultural" England.

Layla (Leila) is my favourite Arabic girls name...but I don't have one for boys.

I come from one of those indigenous families where our proper names were taken away via the missionaries and replaced with French and English ones >:( So I feel pretty passionate about the issue.

One day (far from now) when I have kids I hope to do combo first names, using Indian (Hindu) and Native American elements ie "Devi" +"Ayashe" (Child in ojibwe)

I want to stay away from Biblical and boring names. ;)

So the possibilities are endless and creative...best of luck!

Elle: I am facinated that the name of your first daughter means "Moon" in Latin--did you mean Sanskrit/Hindi by any chance? How do you pronounce "Candra" with a "ch" sound?

(Chandra) means "moon" in Hindi.

cheers,

Samantha***

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2004, 12:29:15 AM »
LOVE the name Ben/Benjamin.  I've always always liked that name and thought I'd wind up naming my son that.  

Reece.. not so sure about.  It's probably better as a middle name than a first.  I've never heard it used as a boy's name.   Only Reese Witherspoon.

• Michael McCarthy
    • usmccarthys
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2004, 07:48:49 AM »
hey Britwife: we went thru the same thing and are still having trouble with the boys name Joanne(ukmisgirl) and i have a couple of names for a girl we like but are still having a bit of trouble with a boys name. I dont think the name thing will get completly real until we know the sex. we are just past 3 mo. now  so we still have plenty of time. will keep you posted on a solid pick when we get there
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.

• Give me some ribs...
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2004, 08:44:57 AM »
Her full name is Laura Jean Reese Witherspoon...I can understand why she'd go with Reese. A little more unique.

Reece in my opinion is more masculine than feminine. But most have prob. only heard of the name because of her.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2004, 10:37:10 AM »
Hi Liz!
Elle: I am facinated that the name of your first daughter means "Moon" in Latin--did you mean Sanskrit/Hindi by any chance? How do you pronounce "Candra" with a "ch" sound?

I pronounce it Con-dra (with the a having a long sound) although other people have called her Chandra or they pronounce the a as a short a as in, well, can.  There was no pronounciation guide so I pronounced it how I thought it sounded best.  

The book I got it from said it was Latin, but as I said, at the time the book claimed it meant moon.  Now books that I see with the name in it say it means shining.  I don't doubt that it may well be of Sanskrit or Hindi origin.  I haven't looked it up in a name book in a long time.  

I guess for me, whatever the confusion may be on the origin or the name and it's meaning doesn't matter so much now.  She knows the intention of her name was for it to mean moon and it's in her baby book.  But that's an interesting tidbit for me to know that Chandra means moon in Hindi.  So thanks for that!  :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 11:50:49 AM »
Hi Liz!

Congradulations! :) As for my two pence on the issue I think its really, really important for a name to reflect one's ancestry so why not consider a Persian name as the first? Or at minimal like you said the middle. Arabic based names are so full of meaning and gorgeous that I don't see how you can resist! ;) I also think it helps one be a unique individual, honour ancestors and  rightly aknowledge who they are in "multicultural" England.

Layla (Leila) is my favourite Arabic girls name...but I don't have one for boys.

I come from one of those indigenous families where our proper names were taken away via the missionaries and replaced with French and English ones >:( So I feel pretty passionate about the issue.

One day (far from now) when I have kids I hope to do combo first names, using Indian (Hindu) and Native American elements ie "Devi" +"Ayashe" (Child in ojibwe)

I want to stay away from Biblical and boring names. ;)

So the possibilities are endless and creative...best of luck!

cheers,

Samantha***

Hi Samantha

This baby of ours has so many ethnicities/nationalities in its background we barely know where to start, it will be 1/4 English, 1/4 Persian, 1/8 Swedish, 1/8 Finnish, 1/4 Welsh or something like that anyway.  And I haven't even got onto the bit about my mother's ancestors possibly being German. The Welsh bit is dealt with in its surname (Matthews) so that's ok. So we have to fit in all the rest in its other names, hence Finn could be a good choice for a boy. OK it is an Irish name really but it is Celtic at least and takes into account the Finnish bit.  Also Stu and I are fans of Neil Finn !!!  :D

The Persian names we like best at the moment are Haleh for a girl and Firooz or Hafez for a boy.  

MichaelP - I do think part of the problem choosing a boy's name is that boys' names are just not as interesting!! (sorry all boys out there!!). It is easier to be creative with girls whereas with boys you really don't want to lumber them with a name that's likely to get them beaten up at school (so we have pretty much ruled out Sebastian which is one of my favourites).

• Hiya
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 05:27:16 AM »
Well, we're not *planning* on having any kids any time soon...but in theory, we have some names we like.  It's been a topic of discussion as Steven's aunt just had another baby this summer and his sister just had her first baby in January.

Anyhow, we both like Ewan, Aidan, Caleb and James for boys.  We liked Joshua, but his aunt just stole it for her new baby boy...lol.  I like German names, but he hates them.  I'm of 100% German heritage, so I'm going to try to sneak one in as a middle name. ;)  I like Andreas, Joachim, and Tobias the best. :)  We both like Scottish and Celtic names so we will probably stick with those. ;)

We have a harder time agreeing on names for girls though.  For girls, we like names such as Cerys (Welsh name), Elaine, Chloe, and Eden.

Well, we still have a few years anyhow, so not to panic...hehehe ;D

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

• My little cutie
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 01:15:39 PM »
Well Juliona Lynn is after me and my favorite girls name Julie  and Lynn is my mothers middle name she almost was Juliona Roselynn

And we never really could come up with a boys name we really liked.

But then I had Juliona's name picked out since I was a little girl I had a hand maid doll and her name was Juliona.

• My little cutie
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 01:18:19 PM »
Here is a list of my nieces and nephews names they are some unusual ones but quite nice too

Destiny Marie
Lucas Allen
Jordan Maye
Q Michael
Jade Diamond
Zane Davidson
Skyler Rose
Kaylynn Lynnette
Heaven Leigh
Austin Hawk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2004, 05:45:55 PM »
The debate continues in our house ... if it's a girl we'll be OK we are agreed on Violet Haleh (Haleh is a Persian name meaning 'halo') - I went off Stella the more I thought about the lager and we both like Violet. If it's a boy ...... well I want Finnbarr .... Stu hates it, although he doesn't mind Finn (ie without the barr) and he loves Owen ... which I can't stand and never the twain shall meet .... I think we'll end up compromising on Finn if it IS a boy but we won't know the sex for sure for a few more weeks - and we havn't even got around to arguing about a middle name for a boy yet!

• My little cutie
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2004, 12:48:41 AM »
One name Glenn and I have both really like is Justice.

• Michael McCarthy
    • usmccarthys
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2004, 03:11:13 AM »
First let me congradulate you. For us we disscussed names for the first couple of weeks after we found out we were pregnate. we soon gave up trying to come up with a name until we find the sex of the baby. The ultra sound will be next week so im sure the names will be back on the table.Im sure youll find the right name for your baby when its time. :D. be sure to keep us posted
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab