Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about  (Read 87346 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
I have two words for you: Food Truck. Just sayin' :)

My thoughts. As I have worked in a food truck, my only advice is to get the best pair of long alpine mountaineering underwear available.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
I have two words for you: Food Truck. Just sayin' :)
Hey some of the best restaurants in the world ARE or have started as a food truck ;)
Good food doesn't have to come out of a fancy restaurant.
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Liked: 1
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
Good thread.

I don't like to be a debbie-downer, but I think one thing to think about (and I say this as British expat), is that many of those threads about "things that I love about the UK" are either (a) looking at things with very rose-tinted glasses, or (b) making broad generalizations and apples-vs-oranges comparisons.

For example, lots of them say people are more "open minded" or "friendly" in the UK....I think this entirely depends on what parts of the UK you're talking about and what parts of the US. If you compare like-for-like (London vs NYC, or small town England vs small town USA), I'm not so sure there's so much difference. That's what I mean about the funny generalizations and apples-oranges comparisons!

And there seems to be a lot saying that there is less pressure to be slim in the UK, or that men in the UK prefer "curvy" girls, etc etc....I think that's rose-tinted. I don't think there is any significant difference on that front between Brits and Americans. They're probably mistaking the tastes of their particular significant-other for the tastes of the population in general.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
I don't like to be a debbie-downer, but I think one thing to think about (and I say this as British expat), is that many of those threads about "things that I love about the UK" are either (a) looking at things with very rose-tinted glasses, or (b) making broad generalizations and apples-vs-oranges comparisons.

There may be a bit of truth in what you say, but likewise people should take all of the 'I hate the UK' threads with a grain of salt as well. Many of the things people complain about are also nothing more than broad generalisations based on their own narrow experience here.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »
There may be a bit of truth in what you say, but likewise people should take all of the 'I hate the UK' threads with a grain of salt as well. Many of the things people complain about are also nothing more than broad generalisations based on their own narrow experience here.

Agreed!

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

Oh yeah, that too, agreed.

« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2018, 03:26:46 PM »
I wish I had this checklist b4 I came over cause alot of those comments im going through right now. I thought i was able to handle change but im having a tough time with that 1 myself. I had a lot of people say to me b4 I moved I have more respect for u  cause I wouldnt b able to pick up my life an move to another country. well little did I know what I was in for!! like that post says even though we speak the same language there r alot of different aspects over compared to back home. I have been here just under 2 years next month will make it 2 years. im still having bad days not so many but I have to take it 1 day at a time if not then I fall 2 pieces then that makes dh sad as well. im  glad to hear its just not me who is having a hard time making friends. im struggling to keep the 1 have I back home let alone trying to make any new ones here. I  have a hard with the english sense of humor as well mainly with the brother-in-law. I think I he thought I was taking his brother away from him. so he wud make little snide remarks & try to play them off as I just didnt get the english humor so needless to say I dont go around him if I dont have to. if I have to like for family functions I try to aviod him or say little as possible to him. im to the point with him 1 more rotten snide an he will get a mouthful from me & it wont b pretty either. then poor dh has to b put in the middle I dont want to put that much stress on dh if it can b helped. I think England is like Florida nice to vist but wouldnt want to live there. by the way whoever is from Florida that wasnt a snide comment. thats just what my family & friends say it gets way to hot for us down there. but for the time being I will stick it out here hopefully it will get better with a bit more time. the way I see it is I came over here to England & tried it. so when its time to move back to the states I can say i tried it, who knows maybe by then I will have had a better experience. but we are talking years b4 we move back to the states. 1 thing I do miss & it's a big thing I miss is WALMART I know we have Asda the sister company but dont make me laugh!! there r 2 things im ever so gratful for is I get along ever so well with my mil & fil also my family is very supportive about me moving over here.  basicly long story short just make sure u have thought long & hard about your decession to move to another country, even if they speak the same language as you!! sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes about the FLORIDA  comment. I wasnt trying to say your state wasnt worth living in by all means!!
I’m a second generation native “Cracker” and I’ve told many - visiting Florida and living in Florida are two very different things.  I’m there with you - and will be grumbling in a few months when it’s 1,000,000,000 degrees and we’re cleaning up after another hurricane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 11
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »
Great topic.

Before officially moving to UK long term, I decided to spend my summer (2.5 months) visiting the UK and exploring as much parts of the country as I could. This sort of cushioned my move of the "great migration" and I felt a little more confident and comfortable because I knew that I was only going to be in the UK for a couple of months. Now I'm ready to make the big move when my visa arrives.

For those of you who don't get to do this, I'd recommend the following:
-Research the place that you'll be living in. Look at forums like this, Google & Wikipedia the town, and ask yourself, is this the place you really want to move to?
-Join meet-ups that have the same interests/hobbies. I don't know where you'll end up, but if you're in a city, you can try meetup.com
-Keep lines of communication open with your loved ones back home. I've opened up an instagram specifically for documenting life in UK. I need every bit of support from folks back home while living abroad.
-Be excited for the magical journey ahead of you! The UK is a beautiful and magic place, far different than my home in California. California - definitely beautiful to some eyes, I've lived here all my life. I'm ready for adventure and UK is calling!

Hope this helps!

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2018, 12:42:16 AM »
-Research the place that you'll be living in. Look at forums like this, Google & Wikipedia the town, and ask yourself, is this the place you really want to move to?

I've done this as well. When we move over there, we'll be renting a house and I have a general idea of what our budget will be so I have been scoping out properties now to see what you can get for that value. I also researched commute times & costs (ie: train tickets) and did a lot of researches on the different towns. It's amazing the amount of info you can find by searching "Living in ______ UK" and reading posts from people who actually live there.

Also, post on places like THIS SITE and ask "Does anyone know what _____<insert town>____ is like to live in?"  But as always, take things with a grain of salt. What one person may hate, you may find acceptable.

Which leads me to.... your first place isn't your last place.  We are fully expecting that the first place we rent will be temporary. Maybe a year. Once we are actually there and are able to drive around and visit different towns, we'll most likely find somewhere better to live. Don't be afraid to move around to a few different towns until you find whats perfect for you. I know! I know! No one likes to move. But you really do get a completely different feel for an area by living in it. What may look PERFECT on paper (or internet) may not be so great to actually live there.

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
Great topic.

Before officially moving to UK long term, I decided to spend my summer (2.5 months) visiting the UK and exploring as much parts of the country as I could. This sort of cushioned my move of the "great migration" and I felt a little more confident and comfortable because I knew that I was only going to be in the UK for a couple of months. Now I'm ready to make the big move when my visa arrives.

For those of you who don't get to do this, I'd recommend the following:
-Join meet-ups that have the same interests/hobbies. I don't know where you'll end up, but if you're in a city, you can try meetup.com
-Keep lines of communication open with your loved ones back home. I've opened up an instagram specifically for documenting life in UK. I need every bit of support from folks back home while living abroad.
-Be excited for the magical journey ahead of you! The UK is a beautiful and magic place, far different than my home in California. California - definitely beautiful to some eyes, I've lived here all my life. I'm ready for adventure and UK is calling!

Hope this helps!
Thank you, this was very helpful... I will be applying for my Spousal Visa hopefully next week, just waiting on my old passport to be returned after getting my name changed (i got the new one last week).. The little village I will be moving to is in Lancashire in the NW... I have traveled its streets in Google to get to know the area.. I already know how to get home from most locations  :D haha... It's a great way to get to know the area.. My DH has several friends that are waiting to meet me and I have already designated one as my new Bestie LOL  ::) ..I look forward to the adventure of a new place, one I have studied about since I was around 9 , but most of all I look forward to being with my husband  ;)  ...I know it will take adjusting to new ideas and ways of doing things but I welcome it.
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 52
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
Thank you, this was very helpful... I will be applying for my Spousal Visa hopefully next week, just waiting on my old passport to be returned after getting my name changed (i got the new one last week).. The little village I will be moving to is in Lancashire in the NW... I have traveled its streets in Google to get to know the area.. I already know how to get home from most locations  :D haha... It's a great way to get to know the area.. My DH has several friends that are waiting to meet me and I have already designated one as my new Bestie LOL  ::) ..I look forward to the adventure of a new place, one I have studied about since I was around 9 , but most of all I look forward to being with my husband  ;)  ...I know it will take adjusting to new ideas and ways of doing things but I welcome it.

What village in Lancashire?
I was born and raised in Lancashire before I moved to the USA so familiar with the area.
I gather you will fly into Manchester
Online application submitted: November 30th, 2018
Biometrics taken:  4th December , 2018
Applicant docs sent to NYC  7th December 2018
Applicant Docs delivered to NYC: 10th December , 2018
Application received email from Sheffield : 9th January  2019
Request to escalate 1/18/19
Request to MP  1/28/19
2nd request to escalate 2/5/19
Decision made email: 2/18/19 ( 51 WD)
Passport received:  APPROVED 2/20/19

« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2019, 06:46:11 PM »
What village in Lancashire?
I was born and raised in Lancashire before I moved to the USA so familiar with the area.
I gather you will fly into Manchester
I will fly into Manchester, i'll be in Barrowford.. Have you been there

« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
I will fly into Manchester, i'll be in Barrowford.. Have you been there

No I have not but I have been to Preston. I will be heading towards Southport  on the NW coast to a village called Scarisbrick .

Application received email from Sheffield : 9th January  2019
Request to escalate 1/18/19
Request to MP  1/28/19
2nd request to escalate 2/5/19
Decision made email: 2/18/19 ( 51 WD)
Passport received:  APPROVED 2/20/19

« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:55 PM »
No I have not but I have been to Preston. I will be heading towards Southport  on the NW coast to a village called Scarisbrick .
That's not too far away it seems. Hopefully this spring we will get out and about and if we come that way, I'll let you know and we can meet up

« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »
That's not too far away it seems. Hopefully this spring we will get out and about and if we come that way, I'll let you know and we can meet up
Absolutely

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 30 Nov 2018
Biometrics appointment : 4th Dec 2018
Docs sent to NY : 7th Dec 2018
Doc received in NY : 10 th Dec 2018
Docs received in Sheffield email : 9th Jan 2019
Decision made email received :  TBD
Visa received : TBD