Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about  (Read 87117 times)

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
Re: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2009, 03:39:30 AM »
I have to say, I'm going on six months so far and I am noticing a lot of things Mindy mentioned in her earlier post that I can empathize with. I had to pack up 29 years of my life into 21 boxes (which I still haven't seen yet - cause I'm saving up to get them here) and I had to leave behind my cats (until I can afford to send for them as well).

One of the bigger things that has gotten to me is friends and family. It's not as though I feel abandoned entirely, because I do still talk to friends...but I have some days where I just feel forgotten. I'm not sure if any others have had similar feelings?

I remember when I first moved here, I got an Unlimited World subscription on Skype so I could have a local number for friends and family to call and keep in touch. Do you think my friends have bothered to call that number? I was shocked, really. And then, when my husband and I had our wedding ceremony, people from home had the option to watch it via webcam at home since they couldn't be here to share in our day. Other than that, I didn't get a single phone call or even a CARD to congratulate us. It just seems a little odd since it was such a special day for us.

Needless to say, I've had my days, but the end result is still worth it to me because all the back-and-forth temporary visits have come to an end. It makes me appreciate others' journeys as well...immigration is certainly not for the weak and you have to really be able to adapt well to change and accept that things really aren't the same.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »

I remember when I first moved here, I got an Unlimited World subscription on Skype so I could have a local number for friends and family to call and keep in touch. Do you think my friends have bothered to call that number? I was shocked, really.

Yeah, it's weird isn't it? "Hey guys, I got a US phone number so you can call me whenever and it'll be local." But it's like they think, oh, overseas, too far away. What's weirder is now that I'm about to go back for a few months, they are calling me all the time. I keep thinking 'I've been here 2.5 years, you'll see me in a month. Why all the calls now?'

Don't get it.
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

• Banned

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
just in case anyone forgot..

sausages are bland here and their bacon is too thick
they drink tea with milk 20 times a day (yuck)
everyone fears MOT time
TV shows suck here
nobody changes their oil in their car(ok maybe once a year, no kidding some longer)
 ;D ok enough..

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »

Totally a question of taste, and anyway, why do you care what others do?  No one's going to force you to drink any. 

TV shows suck here

!!!!!!!!!  :o

Are you sure you're watching the right TV? 

Anyway, your "points" are awfully subjective.....
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2009, 12:58:13 AM »
Are you sure you're watching the right TV?  

Agree with the question. I am back in the US and I really miss the BBC, they have some great quality programs. BBC America is not the same (repeats and not the good stuff, most of the time).

While I like US TV for my favorite shows, I always have to record everything and then watch it in order to avoid the commercials. ::)  We can sometimes find some good BBC stuff (documentaries or mini series) on PBS but it's not enough.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2009, 02:01:37 AM »
just in case anyone forgot..

You can find sausage with a bit more flavour, you just have to look for them.  I'm told Lincolnshire sausage has plenty of flavour in it.  I think streaky bacon is thinner than regular bacon. It's certainly closer to US bacon, at any rate.

I know some British people who actually don't like tea, and some who don't use milk in theirs...though I do have to say it's probably easier to  get a good cup of tea than it is a good cup of coffee unless you're at a coffee house!

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2009, 02:23:15 AM »
You can find sausage with a bit more flavour, you just have to look for them.  I'm told Lincolnshire sausage has plenty of flavour in it.  I think streaky bacon is thinner than regular bacon. It's certainly closer to US bacon, at any rate.

I know some British people who actually don't like tea, and some who don't use milk in theirs...though I do have to say it's probably easier to  get a good cup of tea than it is a good cup of coffee unless you're at a coffee house!

Agree, tea and bacon are subjective....not every Brit and every American likes it the same way. I am from the US and prefer my tea without milk because I don't like milk but it's not a big deal if others like it that way. I prefer US bacon (streaky in the UK) and US sausage but I also like UK sausage....M&S has some tasty varieties. :)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
I love tea with milk and honestly can't think of anyone who drinks it without milk.  As far as coffee goes, it's surprising how many people I know who don't realize that instant coffee is not anywhere near what real coffee should be.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
Oh lord.  ::) First of all, are these not just little VERY PERSONAL generalisations that might be niggling irritations for some, but hardly anything that should disuade people from moving?

Change brands. I can promise you this is not the case across the board.

As said above, why on earth do you care what people drink? Are they forcing you to join them? Besides, I drank milk in my tea in the US too and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

everyone fears MOT time

Hardly. I'm quite grateful that there's actually a system to keep cars off the road if they're not safe.

TV shows suck here

Well then aren't you lucky that they show so much American TV too. Nothing wrong with choice, particularly since some people actually enjoy English TV.

nobody changes their oil in their car(ok maybe once a year, no kidding some longer)
 ;D ok enough..

That's not English. I never bothered in the US, I don't bother here.... Not the proper thing to do, I know, but again... why on earth does this bother you?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
That's not English. I never bothered in the US, I don't bother here.... Not the proper thing to do, I know, but again... why on earth does this bother you?

Actually, nowadays most people realise that the whole "change your oil every 3000 miles" thing is just a myth manufactured by big oil to make more money.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »
Actually, nowadays most people realise that the whole "change your oil every 3000 miles" thing is just a myth manufactured by big oil to make more money.

genau.

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
I actually miss some of the sausages from the States, but I also think I'd miss some of the sausages from here if we would ever move back (hopefully won't happen).  Sainsbury's has their high end line which is rather tasty and the more expensive ones from Morrison's were pretty good.  You can get streaky rashers or pancetta strips (which my husband now loves even though he wasn't that keen on American style rashers when he was in the States) for thinner bacon.  I will admit that when we visit, if we go near a Wegman's, I will probably pick up a lot of their peppered bacon as it's one of those things from the States I crave.

TV is great here.  There's just less of it, at least in our household.  We make due with Freeview, although we are considering cable after our move this Autumn.  You're entitled to your opinion, but I actually would rather the TV here.  We don't really miss our favourites from the States because they show them here, and the range of British shows in the US is limited.  And when American TV tries to re-do British shows, 7 times out of 10, it's not pretty.

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2009, 11:08:19 AM »

Lol. While I know Brits who do, I also know Brits who happen not to drink tea. Fella I know is even strictly a real-coffee freak. So it's not everyone. I'm a Brit and I never developed this, uh, "national trait". Never cared for tea, with or without milk. Grew up drinking water, and Coke. Now drink water, juice, coffee... :) Shocking I know. They should strip me of my citizenship.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »
I actually miss some of the sausages from the States, but I also think I'd miss some of the sausages from here if we would ever move back (hopefully won't happen).  Sainsbury's has their high end line which is rather tasty and the more expensive ones from Morrison's were pretty good.  You can get streaky rashers or pancetta strips (which my husband now loves even though he wasn't that keen on American style rashers when he was in the States) for thinner bacon.  I will admit that when we visit, if we go near a Wegman's, I will probably pick up a lot of their peppered bacon as it's one of those things from the States I crave.

TV is great here.  There's just less of it, at least in our household.  We make due with Freeview, although we are considering cable after our move this Autumn.  You're entitled to your opinion, but I actually would rather the TV here.  We don't really miss our favourites from the States because they show them here, and the range of British shows in the US is limited.  And when American TV tries to re-do British shows, 7 times out of 10, it's not pretty.

I can across this recipe and make my own sausage..I use it alot to make sausage gravy..I only use half of the recipe and keep the other half for patties

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/02/breakfast-sausage-to-begin-day.html

Hope you like it as well!

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »

I can across this recipe and make my own sausage..I use it alot to make sausage gravy..I only use half of the recipe and keep the other half for patties

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/02/breakfast-sausage-to-begin-day.html

Thanks MeShell... i LOVE this blog!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab