Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm now a Weegie!  (Read 663 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm now a Weegie!
« on: January 17, 2004, 08:20:31 PM »
Hi everyone,
This is a great site and I've been enjoying reading the threads. So here's the scoop on me: fell in love, sold everything, quit job, hugged family and friends, and moved from the US to Glasgow in Sept. 2003 - married in November.  Still adjusting to Britlife. Love books, movies, music, eating out, mocha frappuccinos, travel, castles, yada yada. Am trying to be a writer, but lack focus and discipline.  :)  Just got my Leave To Remain, so am now job hunting for something in the PR/Marketing field.  Just applied for 2 positions, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Though I am hooked on home improvement and property shows, I'm getting sick of cooking and cleaning all the time and really need to get out there.  

(BTW, Weegie = Glaswegian. Not a religious cult that shaves their heads and plays the tambourine.)

Does anyone know if there are any expat groups that get together in Glasgow for coffee or such?  It would be really great to visit once in a while with a group of people that I can understand!  I love it here and I enjoy the people, but it's sometimes really frustrating. "America and Britain are separated by a common language."  :) The Glasgow accent is often incomprehensible (might as well be speaking Farsi - I just smile and nod...probably will get me into trouble someday), in addition to the different phraseology and cultural references. Okay, I now know who Brucie Forsythe is, but that's just the tip of the iceburg and I often feel completely clueless!  The ol' self esteem really takes a beating and you just want to stay home...and watch home improvement shows. hee hee

Okay, that's enough blathering on from me.

Gwen

"Drink deeply from this day, this cup of possibilities."

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: I'm now a Weegie!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 08:25:41 PM »
Welcome to UK-Y, Gwen!

The Glaswegian accents baffle me too.  However, I have learned to never accept a Glasgow kiss.   [smiley=stars.gif]
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 08:30:24 PM »
Glasgow kiss??  What's that?

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 08:46:45 PM »
Oh no!  You've been in Glasgow for four months and haven't heard of a Glasgow kiss yet?  You're just pulling my leg, right? ;)

If you haven't, please do get hubby to explain it.  He should have fun with that one, but don't let him demonstrate!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 04:52:38 AM »
Hi pengwen....welcome to UKY. :)

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 02:58:35 PM »
 Hiya Gwen

Welcome to UKY [smiley=balloon.gif]

I know what you mean about the accent,and how hard that it is to understand at times ;D.I have been to Scotland a few times and its  a lovely place.
You have found a great community here ;)
Rhia

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 11:14:06 PM »
Hiya Gwen!  

I know all about the writing and lack of focus thing.  All I have to do is write a short research proposal and I can't seem to get motivated enough to do that.

Evil of me!

Can't help much on the Glasgow front but I am sure you will find someone in your neck of the woods!

Welcome to the site!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 05:46:35 AM »

The Glasgow accent is often incomprehensible (might as well be speaking Farsi - I just smile and nod...probably will get me into trouble someday)

Hi! Welcome! I Know what you mean! My daughters boyfriend is from Glasgow and I hardly understand a word! Oh well, thank goodness he is patient with me!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »
hello Gwen, welcome to UKY...

I am not in Glasgow either...but I am not as far away as most are...  I believe I am about 2 hours southeast of you... 86 miles south of Edinburgh.. on the north sea...above newcastle upon tyne...  Geordie land here.

if I ever get a car and use to driving...we could always meet halfway for some tea/coffee or just plain shopping and natter about things.

Good luck on the job hunt...I have been here since November...on the fiance visa...so, trust me... home improvement shows are the norm in this house...can not wait until I can start looking for work...just to get away from the house more than anything.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 04:18:58 PM »
Hi Gwen and welcome to the site too!  I hope you find everything you need here.  Actually I'm sure you will.  Seems like daily Leah (mistress of the site) is adding something new.  Keeps us on our toes.  Try the pub quizes - maybe they will help or you could add your own. So we can learn a bit about Weegies! lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 12:27:56 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome!  You guys are the greatest. Having a support center like this makes all the difference.

Shel, that coffee and nattering sounds wonderful. I'm not driving here quite yet either, but I'll have to remedy that soon. Ergh. I've driven a rental car from Glasgow to Edinburgh then up north and through the highlands with only a moderate amount of stress, but that was an automatic, not a stick-shift. That whole shifting with the left hand thing has me working ALL my procrastination talents.  :) My hubby has a friend who needs to refresh his driving skills, so we're going to get a car from EasyCar.com (4 pounds a day, including insurance) and he's going to give us both driving lessons. Yay. Can't wait.  ;D

So, when's your big day, Shel?  Gee, need a veil or white gloves or purse or extra Thank You cards?   ;D  You know, I bet all the new brides on UKY could outfit a bridal shop!  So, is there a Home Office near you?  We found out that we have one here in Glasgow a 10 minute walk from the flat - I called and made an appointment and got my Leave To Remain that same day! It only took about 2 1/2 hours.  It costs more, but we figured it would be worth it for me to be able to work sooner.

Sponsored Links