Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Notary Services  (Read 52075 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Notary Services
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »
Just thought this might help others:

My wife and I live together in the US and are moving back to London shortly. I am applying for a settlement visa. Instead of sending her passport, I am sending a certified copy. I spent 3-4 hours trying to find where to get such a copy. Most of the advice in this thread is how to do it if the UK sponsor is living in the UK.

Since we are both in the States I found out that my bank, US BANK, will make a certified copy of every page in her passport, FOR FREE, because we are both US Bank customers.

I was refused at Fedex Kinkos because they wouldn't certify a copy of a Passport, and although the UPS store would do it, they only had a notary at one location, and he wasn't in until tomorrow afternoon. My biometrics is tomorrow, and I plan to post everything straight away, so I wanted this finished today.

-Brian

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »
Just to stress...there is no guarantee that the Entry Clearance Officer will accept a copy of a passport notorised or certified by a bank.  Under UK law, only a notary or a solicitor can do this, and having a bank do it may not be acceptable.  I would certainly never risk it.

I hope in your case this works out okay...I believe that it sometimes is accepted in the US, where the rules are more relaxed.

Vicky

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »
Okay, I am confused.

If the bank employs a person who is a Notary and they certify my copies, how is that different that using a Notary?

We don't have 'solicitors' here, just lawyers. Are you saying that American lawyers can certify copies?

Thanks
Brian

• Banned

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
American attorneys can certify, assuming that they are registered with the American Bar Association.

If the banks employ a notary then great, but often they just get an employee of the bank to do it.

Vicky

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2008, 02:40:57 AM »
Okay, thanks Vicky for clarifying!

I went to the bank, asked for a notary, and now looking at my copies of my wife's passport, each page is stamped saying:

Notary's Name
Notary Public - Notary Seal
State of Missouri, St Charles County
Commission #12345678
My Commision Expires Oct 2, 2010

Also says,
I, _____(name of notary), a Notary Public in and for said state,
do certify that on 7/1/08 (date) I carefully compared the attached
facsimile of passport (type of document) and the facsimile I now
hold in my possession. They are complete, full, true, and exact
facsimiles of the document they purport to reproduce.

_____(Signature of Notary)        (Seal of Notary)

I hope this qualifies.

-Brian

ps. I'm just posting all the detail so if someone every does get just a regular bank employee certifying things they can compare and see the difference.

• Banned

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »
That looks fine to me.

Vicky

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a UK citizen, my USC fiancee and I are going to apply for a spousal visa for her.

I have a quick question: is it true that if I send in an original copy of my birth certificate (which I've ordered from the UK General Register Office) as part of the application, can I get round the need for a notarised/certified copy of my passport, and just send an ordinary photocopy instead?

That would make things much easier if true! I don't think we'd need to use a notary for anything if that were the case...

(Also, slightly OT, but does the online application my fiancee has to complete ask the same questions as form VAF4?)

TIA for help!
tolstoy_fan

• Banned

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »
Yes, you are right about the birth certificate.

The questions on the VAF4 are slightly different from the on-line form, but it is an adequate guide.

Vicky

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »
Thanks for your help!

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
My husband (british) is going to the U.S.A with me(american) to get my settlement for the uk . what should i send them instead of the notarized passport copy. i read in the answer below that the original birth certificate would help??

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2008, 07:25:32 PM »
also, do you need to fill anything else apart from the online form? what's a VAF4?

• Banned

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 08:37:10 AM »

The on-line form is all you need to complete.  The VAF4 is for those from countries
where the on line form is not applicable.

Vicky

• Banned

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
My husband (british) is going to the U.S.A with me(american) to get my settlement for the uk . what should i send them instead of the notarized passport copy. i read in the answer below that the original birth certificate would help??

Why not send a certified copy of the passport?  It is easy to get.

Vicky

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »
how can i get a certified copy? can i send his old passport along with is birth certificate?

• My blog!
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
how can i get a certified copy? can i send his old passport along with is birth certificate?

I hate to point out to you but this whole thread is about how to get something notarised or certified.  I really would suggest looking around the forum a bit more.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab