Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Bound!!!  (Read 2135 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: UK Bound!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 06:31:31 PM »
Ooops.   [smiley=dizzy2.gif]  Can't have that!

We'll think of something...!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2004, 09:08:18 AM »
Ok, lemme see if I can prattle off a few ideas.  

To see:  Since the London Eye is a no no, how about a boat trip down the Thames?  City Cruises is the one we always go on and you can buy a day ticket and ride as much as you like.  It stops at Greenwich, Tower of London, Westminster and then the other side of the river at Waterloo.  Also a neat way to see some of the sites.

I'd go with LisaE's version of a bus tour because the tour companies we've seen charge a whopping £20 for their tour.

Definitely check out the Original London Walks website as their walking tours are fab.  If you're even remotely fascinated by the Ripper murders, their Ripper walk is a must!  Plus they're very inexpensive and also very laid back.  

Tower of London is always good, but can be pricey to get into and you'll spend at least a half a day there looking at everything and I'd recommend staying that long anyway just to get your money's worth.

Trafalgar Square is always good.  One can sit in Trafalgar Square and soak in London with view of Big Ben in the distance.  The National Gallery is right there as well which is free to get into and if you're into art, you're bound to find something there you like!

To eat:  There's plenty of us here who will always heartily suggest Wagamama.  Great chinese/Japanese type food.  They tout as a noodle bar, but they serve lots of other stuff.  www.wagamama.com will help you find one that you may be close to.  There's lots of other places I could probably suggest:  Food For Thought is a vegetarian place in Covent Garden that I absolutely love.  Today we're meeting up with a friend and going to the World Food Cafe, another veggie place in Covent Garden.  I've never been there but will let you know how it is after today!

Shopping:  well, there's the usual Oxford Street.  Covent Garden also a really good place to find some neat and funky shops.  Me being of the Gothy persuasion, can't help but recommend Camden where there is the Camden market and the Camden lock as well as many shops along the high road.  There's not just gothy stuff though.  Lots of cool trendy stuff there.  Good place to find great stuff!

There's also the almost obligatory trip to Harrods in Knightsbridge.  There's other shops in that area as well which are nice.  I don't necessarily prefer them myself.  There's only a few reasons I go to Harrods anyway and Krispy Kreme is one of them!  But it's also fun to just go see the bling blings and they do have some things that are geared towards tourists that are more affordable.

Ok, that's it for my suggestions at the moment!  Seriously, hope you have a wonderful visit!

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2004, 11:53:06 AM »
The Tate Modern.  A fabulous art museum of modern art.  It's in the coolest building in the world (a converted power station), it's FREE, it always has really cool exhibitions, it's next to the Globe Theatre (which I can also reccomend), it's right next to the Millenium Bridge which is a foot bridge that you can walk across to St. Paul's Cathedral.  It is also a lovely walk along the river to the South Bank.  You'd end up at the London Eye (which you're not going on ;)) but you get a fantastic view of the Houses of Parliment and Big Ben.  You can then cross the river again and walk up to Trafalgar Square/China Town/ Leicester Square.  London is a fantastic city to visit because everything is so within reach.  

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2004, 11:56:10 AM »
Al lives in Worthing and Brighton (which about 2 hours away).

LOL.  My husband used to say things like this to me when I first moved here.  Brighton is never 2 hours away from London.   :)  It's an easy train journey.  Don't let him drive.   Get a one-day travel card for the train/tube and buses.  You'll have a great time.   :)

• Money can't buy me, luv
    • My Myspace Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2004, 11:18:05 PM »
I went on the Ripper walk when I was in London last March.... it was a blast!  Other places I enjoyed were the Tower of London, Greenwich (just wonderful... *sigh*), Abbey Road (I am a huge Beatles fan so it was a must see ::)) ... also St. Pauls, Piccadilly (just to say you've been), Camden and Chinatown (if you're in to cheap shopping), umm... there is WAY too much to do in London... no way I could list it all!  Have fun on your trip!

Ellie
"Oh look, a beckoning digit!"

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2004, 11:41:43 PM »
If you are on the South Bank for the power station gallery and the globe theatre, go to  the Founders Arms pub for lunch. It has a view across the river of St Pauls. You can sit out on the terrace and watch the world go past.  I used to work close by and often had lunch in there.
Enjoy your trip.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2004, 05:07:58 PM »
Maybe you've posed somewhere else, but dying to know how the visit went?  I think you said the dates were Mar11-19.. So come on then, how was it? :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab