Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello, from west coast USA  (Read 678 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Hello, from west coast USA
« on: January 23, 2004, 05:46:20 AM »
Hello,

I want to say thank you to say thank you to Leah for this wonderful website, and to everyone else here. I have learned so much! My dream of moving to the UK for a long visit ( I don't know about permanent, I'll need to visit a bit first) is becoming a reality thanks to all of you. This board is a wonderful resource, I never would have known about the Artist Visa if it weren't for all of you.

I am planning on a few visits this year, and to move over for a year or two starting in 2005. Who knows, maybe I'll make it permanent.

I really appreciate some of the topics that have been covered. Knowing about and accepting differances can make a big diffenance in a persons happiness when moving to a new area.

I am more of a lurker than a poster but I will try to contribute what I can.  :)

Anne

Re: Hello, from west coast USA
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 07:12:43 AM »
Hi Anne...welcome to UKY. :) We were all lurkers at one time or another. ;) I'm glad you posted and I'm glad you were able to find the info you needed through this website. It's been a godsend for a lot of people. Good luck on your move and keep posting. :) Oh and just cause I'm nosy :P what type of artist are you?

• Banned

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 12:36:43 PM »
Hello, Anne!

I'm fairly new to UK Yankee, but I have been in the UK for 5 years. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck in the UK and look forward to E-chatting sometime!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 02:16:36 PM »
Welcome Anne  [smiley=hug.gif] ..you'll see this is a great site with GREAT people  ;D
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 02:29:25 PM »

Hiya Anne and welcome to UKY  [smiley=balloon.gif]Its nice to hear that we here are able to  help with a new step in your life and hopefully you  make some new friends along the way ;D
Rhia

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 05:10:47 PM »
Hi Anne :)  Glad you found your way here.  There really are endless amounts of information to be gathered from this site from great people.  

Just out of curiosity, what draws you to the UK?  :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 05:34:45 PM »
Hi Anne and Scoobie too!  I am glad that you both found UKY.  Anne you will have to come back and post more infor about the Artists visa and you go.  I am sure it would be a great help to many who might want or need to go that route!

I think you have a good attitude about just going over for a while to see how you like it.  Visiting is a great idea too, but quite different from actually living there day to day.  I wish youthe best of luck and hope to see more of you!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 05:55:40 PM »
Hi and WELCOME!!!   ;D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 06:01:51 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what draws you to the UK?  :)

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Get it?!  What *draws* you to the UK?  She's an *artist*?

Am I the only one laughing here?  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 07:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I am an author, working on my first full book actually. Soooo scary, it's almost done though. I have only done smaller projects before.

I have always wanted to go to Europe for the libraries. Living there and having an opportunity to learn more about the communities makes more sense than flying back and fourth to the US.

I guess I am mostly interested in the adventure. I have traveled about half of the US, parts of Canada and have lived in many different communities. Going to the UK to live while I explore other parts of Europe feels like the next natural step for me.

Ok, ok... I'd like to have a good look at Donegal County Ireland. I have ancestors from there and my family still has close ties to the area. I can't forget Germany! I was conceived in Germany. I really must visit the Army base that my parents met at.  ;D

Hmmm… I think that’s about all.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 08:33:41 PM »
Hiya Anne, sounds like good enough reasons to me!  Welcome to the site.  Best of luck with your book.  I think you'll find another author or two on the boards.  So glad you found what you need here.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 05:29:27 PM »

What *draws* you to the UK?  She's an *artist*?

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 11:56:40 AM »
Anne, I wasn't conceived in Germany, but recently I did go back to the Army base my dad was stationed at in the '60s. I remember it vaguely but fondly. Certainly had some good times as a kid. Lived there two years.

Imagine my shock when I got there and they were one week from demolishing the housing on the street where I lived! The houses were all gutted and only shells remained. The whole area was fenced so I couldn't go in, but I held on to the fence and just bawled my eyes out.

R.I.P.
Camp King, Oberusel, Germany
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab