Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK mustard blows my mind!  (Read 2237 times)

• Liked: 0
UK mustard blows my mind!
« on: January 24, 2004, 12:22:45 AM »
Does all of the UK mustard blow your head off?  I bought a small jar of yellow Coleman's mustard, slathered some on a sandwich, and WOOOO!!!! I gasped for breath, my nose burned, eyes watered. *lol* Powerful stuff. Okay, I thought I'd be careful and picked up an innocent looking little jar of Grey Poupon. I mean, it's Grey Poupon...it's going to be the same, right? Nope, nitro in a jar. This stuff they have here could clear the sinuses of all New Jersey AND Long Island!  I guess I'm going to have to find a mustard specifically with "Mild" on it.  :D  
"Drink deeply from this day, this cup of possibilities."

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
Re: UK mustard blows my mind!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 12:42:20 AM »
My mother used to say that mustard wasn't any good unless it made your eyes water, Pengwen!

If you want something a bit milder, Dijon mustard is good (has a slight taste of tarragon about it).  You should be able to a jar of the genuine French article in practically any supermarket, Coleman's also do a version, as do all the major supermarket "own brands".

You can also get whole-grain mustards with various flavourings: The Tracklement Company do a great line of these, for instance.

Howard
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 12:48:47 AM »
Don't feel bad, pengwen, I made the same mistake.  When I first moved here, I was living in B&B's and off fast food.  After a week of greasy take-out rubbish, I was seriously jonesing for a simple ham and cheese sandwich with mustard.

Went to the little village store, but didn't recognise any of the mustard.  Only two choices: English or French.  Being some what patriotic to my new country I decided on the English mustard.  Went home and slathered it all over my sandwich - as you do with French's - and had the exact same reaction you did.  I think I guzzled about two pints of water just to cool my mouth off.

Never fear, tho.  French's can be found here.  I've seen it in both my local Tesco and Sainsburys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 12:51:32 AM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 01:23:43 AM »
I won't let David kiss me after he's eaten anything with Coleman's on it (or Marmite for that matter), unless he brushes his teeth... I swear I can smell it and feel it burning my flesh from 10 feet away. Eeeeeeeevil..........
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 01:53:29 AM »
If you want something a bit milder, Dijon mustard is good (has a slight taste of tarragon about it).  

But, ummmm, the Grey Poupon DOES say Dijon on it...with white wine.  No rocket fuel mentioned.  But thanks much for all the other info, Howard. I'll keep searching. What I'd REALLY love is some Hickory Farms Sweet Hot Mustard. Yummmm!

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 02:37:20 AM »
Sorry! I had forgotten Grey Poupon was Dijon.  We get Maille Dijon Originale (from Tesco's), and having just looked at the jar it does say "medium hot".  Perhaps after all these years of nose-blasting English mustard, Dijon tastes mild only to me!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 10:35:58 AM »
German mustard is very mild... it often comes in pots that look like tumblers and can be used as such when you've finished the mustard. You'll find it in bigger supermarkets which might have 'gourmet' sections (Sainsburys and Waitrose in particular). Otherwise, good delis (Polish ones especially) will certainly have it.

I've also seen things like Honeycup mustard in the gourmet section of my local Sainsburys, and they have French's in the regular mustard department. I'm sure you'll find something that appeals.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 11:58:36 AM »
When people ask for mustard at work I always tell them 'we only have English mustard'.   :-X  It's one of my things I say to amuse myself and possibly wind people up.  I'm sad, I know it.   :)

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 09:54:56 PM »
Ha! Mindy, we have to amuse ourselves how we can.  When I was at work in the office and someone would ask me for a project with this and that and the other thing, I'd say, "You want fries with that?"   ;D  

My hubby says that here the terms "fries" and "apartment" are considered more posh than "chips" and "flat." Isn't that funny?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 10:49:35 AM »
I have a stash of French's Sweet Onion mustard.  Sainsbury's was selling it during the summer and I stocked up in the after-season sale!  £1 a bottle - I can live with that!  Before that, my mother had been mailing it over because my oldest and my husband are crazy about it.  In fact, so is my brother-in-law, now.

But I really like the English mustard - nothing is better on a roast beef sandwich.  Yum!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 04:48:53 AM »
mmm i like it too, but, yeah it is super strong.  i don't like horseraddish, and a lot of the mustard here is packed with it.  whole grain is more mild, i think, but i like the dijon, too.

mmm... roast beeeeeeef....  *drool*
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »
But, Lost Angel, I thought you said you didn't like the food here:
I also think the food here sucks...    
??!!  Or perhaps you were just in a bad mood that day?  If so, I'm glad you're finding things better now.  Who knows, you may even get to like the fashions in Derbyshire more! ;)

Howard

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 11:49:30 PM »
But, Lost Angel, I thought you said you didn't like the food here:
??!!  Or perhaps you were just in a bad mood that day?  If so, I'm glad you're finding things better now.  Who knows, you may even get to like the fashions in Derbyshire more! ;)

Howard

hahaha

true, i was not impressed with English cuisine at first, but i am warming up to it a bit.  ;D   (btw, i think mustard is considered a condiment, not a strictly English thing, either...  heehee)  i just hate the fact that English food is basically over-boiled vegies and gravy-soaked meat.   i like a lil more flavour/spice, and a variety of ethnic foods.  its not all that bad though...  just usually boring for me.

...but as far as the fashions...  um...  i don't know about that.  England is really stuck on this 80's thing at the mo'.  i was a teenager in the 80s, and i know better!  lol   i buy trendy stuff if its flattering... not cuz everyone else says i should.   the trend will pass though... it always does...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 11:50:05 PM by Lost_Angel »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004, 12:16:10 AM »
I'm totally on your side about over-boiled veggies.  Ghastly!  [smiley=puke.gif]

• My home page
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 02:43:00 AM »
I was walking through Tesco's this weekend and saw a Coleman's Mild English Mustard.  It said new on the label.  I will have to try that because at the moment I tend to mix Frenchs and Colemans so I don't blow out my sinuses!
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab