Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pepper Steak, American Style  (Read 877 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Pepper Steak, American Style
« on: January 26, 2004, 08:47:13 PM »
Well, Howard, rather than overload the poor bacon sarnie thread, I thought I'd start another thread for the pepper steak.

I'm copying and pasting this recipe from an email I sent to another British friend who enjoyed the pepper steak at my home one evening.  So everything is there, including my little cheats.

Enjoy!

PEPPER STEAK AND RICE

1 lb. rump steak
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
12 fluid oz. beef broth
1 really big onion or two medium onions (I like loads of onions)
2 green peppers (I use one red and one green)
2 lg. tomatoes (I use cherry tomatoes because they don't fall apart)
2 tbsp. cornflour
2 fluid oz. water
2 fluid oz. soy sauce

Cut rump steak into 1/4 inch wide strips. Sprinkle meat with paprika and allow to stand while preparing other ingredients.

Cut onions and peppers in to good size chunks/strips.

Using a large skillet, brown meat in butter (can use olive oil, if you'd prefer). Add garlic and broth. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

Stir in onions and green peppers. Cover and cook 15 minutes more.

Add tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes (or until tomatoes are tender/warm enough to suit).

Mix together cornstarch, water and soy sauce then stir into meat mixture. Cook, stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve over beds of fluffy rice. (Serves 4.)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Okay, that's the official recipe.  I do change it slightly because I like a bit more sauce.  Instead of 2 fl oz of soy sauce and 2 fl oz of water, I use 3 fl oz of soy sauce and 3 fl oz water.

When it calls for 2 cloves of garlic, I use a product called 'Lazy Garlic' (pre-chopped garlic, found in the spice isle of the supermarket).  I use 2 teaspoons of Lazy Garlic.

The recipe is American, but converted to UK measurements.  When it calls for beef stock, I use 12 fl oz of water with 2 OXO beef cubes.

I also cheat with the rice.  I often buy frozen white rice from Tesco because I'm too lazy to mess around with cooking rice.  It's terribly easy to microwave.

All tolled, it probably takes me 40 minutes to make this from start to finish.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pepper Steak, American Style
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 06:51:33 PM »
Gosh, this looks phantastick, Caitlinn!  Thank you *so* much!  Very much more interesting than the boring old Steak au Poivre.

I'm with you on the rice - always get the Uncle Ben's microwavable from Tesco's - 2 minute flat, always perfect!

Still working on Sticky Toffee Pudding for you ....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 06:53:17 PM by howard »
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 08:02:28 PM »
Very much more interesting than the boring old Steak au Poivre.

I ordered Pepper Steak once in the UK, expecting something similar to the recipe I supplied you.  Boy, did I get a surprise.
:o

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 08:35:29 PM »

Hey Hey Iam not as lovely as good ole Howard but Iam going to write your recipie down as well!hehehehehehe ;D ;) :P

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 10:36:41 PM »
Yum...I love pepper steak. :P I haven't had it in a while. Thanks for the recipe Caitlinn. :) I'm going to try to make it this next week.

I ordered Pepper Steak once in the UK, expecting something similar to the recipe I supplied you.  Boy, did I get a surprise.

What was it like?

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 11:21:16 PM »
Yum...I love pepper steak. :P I haven't had it in a while. Thanks for the recipe Caitlinn. :) I'm going to try to make it this next week.

What was it like?

You're welcome, Melissa.  I hope you enjoy it.

It was like the steak au poivre that Howard mentioned.  Steak in a creamy pepper (as in the spice, not the veggie) sauce.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 11:33:11 PM »

You're welcome, Melissa.  I hope you enjoy it.

It was like the steak au poivre that Howard mentioned.  Steak in a creamy pepper (as in the spice, not the veggie) sauce.

Ohhh..ok..gotcha. Don't you hate that..when you're expecting one thing and you get something entirely different? :-/ Such a bummer.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 11:59:01 PM »
Thanks for the recipe...will try it..making stir fry tonight so it will have to be later...but it sounds yummy!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab