Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dakotans heading across the Pond  (Read 714 times)

• Liked: 0
Dakotans heading across the Pond
« on: January 26, 2004, 10:18:38 PM »
Watch out cause here we come!! Actually we're not coming til 2005 but I had you worried for a minute. I happened across this awesome website on the search for info on moving to the UK. My wife and I are currently living in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. For our New Years Resolution we decided we are going to start 2005 in Europe!! After some looking we figured London would be the most fun and conveniant for any traveling we wanted to do. The messages on this board have already anwsered alot of our questions, but trust me there will be many more. Maybe I just missed it, but could we possibly start a category for people who are getting ready to move over ask their silly questions about the UK? If I missed it. sorry. A couple quick questions I do have: What should one expect to pay for a small apartment in London? What parts of London should one avoid living in and why? Does anyone have any opinions on flatsharing or maybe just some good stories? How much does a simple retail job average for pay? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
You can't have a good day with a bad attitude, and you can't have a bad day with a good attitude.
-Abraham Lincoln

Re: Dakotans heading across the Pond
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 12:23:42 AM »
Hi there!

I wanted to welcome you because there aren't too many (if any, I haven't checked) other people from the Dakotas on this board.

I am not from either state too ;) However, I have traveled through your beautiful state several times while driving to visit my Gros Ventre (thats an indigenous tribe) family in northern Montana.

Also here at the university there are plenty of students from the Dakotas and Montana. My friend Jen is from a small town in South Dakota--she is currently studying in Jaipur India (I hope to join her next year!)

Otherwise, I completely prefer South Dakota to North Dakota million times over!!! ;D My family even missed visiting the sacred white buffalo in North Dakota just to escape the boredom. What a beautiful state...(and I am a big time city person!)

Best of luck in your travels next year!

Samantha***

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 02:30:55 AM »
Hi and welcome Europein2005!  I will leave all of the London specific  questions to those in the know but I do suggest that you might want to post them a little bit all over in a way to get the most bang for your buck so to speak.  Though I am sure one of our lovely members will soon be over here to help me out by answering your questions!  

I in the meantime will wish you both all of the best in your upcoming adventure.

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 07:21:15 AM »
Hi! I am not too familiar with London, but wanted to extend a hearty welcome to the site!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 01:13:36 PM »
Hi and welcome! London resident here full of hints and helpful (?) advice.

Areas to avoid depends on what kind of London experience you are hoping for! But assuming you want to live in a safe area, definitely stay away from Brixton, Hackney and most of the east.

A one bedroom flat in a good area will probably cost you upwards of £200 per week, although if you are prepared to live a little further out of town it could be cheaper.  If you and your wife are willing to consider a flatshare you could halve that. (Quite common in London for young couples to share flats with others).  

A good site to look at for an idea of areas and rentals is www.findaproperty.co.uk

I have personally lived in several different areas of London and I can recommend North/North West areas such as Hampstead/Camden, Maida Vale/Kilburn, Islington which all have their cheap parts as well as their more swanky sectors and are all good for amenities and transport links.  

You might also want to think about the type of community you want to live in, for example, Kilburn and Cricklewood are very Irish whilst Golders Green is known for its Jewish community.

I am not sure how much a retail job would pay - not much - maybe £7 per hour (before tax). You would not be likely to get a work permit for that kind of job so presume you have something sorted out like British ancestry or student visas which allow you to do p/t work of that sort. Have a look at the section on visas and immigration for more info.

Hope this is helpful - feel free to ask away!

Cheers
Liz

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 03:12:49 PM »
 Hiya Europein2005 and welcome to UKY :)

Iam glad you found us and the site has been useful to you so far.You will find this community to be a very special place ,with some very special people.

You will Also  find lots of info about London thats for sure.When I lived in the UK the first time it was in Streatham in London,which is in the SW part of it.It was a nice area,and I did feel like our street was our own little city in a big city if that makes sense ;D LOL.
 Look foward in getting to know you and your wife
   Rhia

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 03:35:24 PM »
Hi Europein2005 and welcome to the site.  Rezi was right I think you and your wife are the only Dakotans here....so far.  The only help I can be at this point is part of the welcome wagon.  Glad you're here.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »
Hi Europein2005...welcome to UKY. :)

Sponsored Links