Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Prenatal Care  (Read 2617 times)

Prenatal Care
« on: September 25, 2002, 11:04:16 PM »
Hi all!  sorry I haven't been around much.  I just got internet access again after a month and a half without it.  yay!  

Anyway, I just recently found out that I'm pregnant.  Hubby and I are very excited, but as this is our first and as we're going to be in the UK and don't know anything about the NHS I thought I'd turn to you for advice.  

Basically, what do I need to do?  I haven't used any healthcare over here (right now I'm here on a tourist visa, my spouse visa should hopefully go through in about two weeks or so) so I have no idea who I'm supposed to call to set up appointments and such.  I'm headed back to the states for a few days at the end of October so I'm going to meet with my doctor there for the first prenatal visit.  Still, I need to get healthcare here set up.  Gotta make sure this little munchkin gets everything it needs!

I'd appreciate any advice or experiences that you can share with me. Thanks!

Re: Prenatal Care
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 10:24:44 AM »
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :) :) :)  That is super news!  Next, phone your local  GP surgury(office) and ask if they're taking new NHS patients.  They'll ask you to register and probably see the practice nurse.  Then you'll make an appt.  with the GP.  The next step is booking in with the midwives, they'll take a thourogh medical background, talk about birth options, and explain everything to you.  You'll probably see the midwife most of the way through, unless there are any problems.   I've had two babies here and for the most part was very happy with the treatment.  Good luck.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 08:14:11 PM »
Congrats!!!!  ;D

One quick thing to add to the post above... if you go to your husband's surgery, they are more likely to take you on as a patient, even if they are full up.  (MIL is a nurse and clued me in on that one)

Alicia
From Maine to East Sussex... In August of 2001 I joined my fiance and on April 4th I married the most amazing man.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 02:58:03 PM »
Wish I had some advice... but I do want to hug you and say
[size=12]Congratulations!!![/size][/b]

« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 02:59:10 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 03:17:09 PM »
Thanks for all of the info and congrats!  

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2002, 06:20:28 PM »
Oooh, clever girl! You've figured out a way to get someone into the country without going through all that Visa stuff!  ;)

Seriously, congrats, that's wonderful news!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab