Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hi...I'm new  (Read 704 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi...I'm new
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:58:48 AM »
I just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I am currently living in the states, New England. For over a year my fiance and I have been traveling back and forth. He lives in Geordie-land. Anyway, my preschool twins and I are leaving in a few weeks for a month's stay. My two highs school-aged children are staying here with my mom. We will be moving permanently this summer after school is out, although, they are wondering if they want to move now. My oldest, who will be a senior next year, was almost sure he would stay here to finish out his high school, but my daughter, who is a freshman, was going to move. Now she is thinking she might want to stay too...and I am torn! I have briefly read a few posts and noted that many teenagers seem to stay state-side with another parent of relative, so if any of you who have had experience with this can give me some info and support (how did it work out for you all?) I would appreciate it. I look forward to reading all the posts and info on this site...looks great!

Warmly, Geally

• Liked: 1
Re: Hi...I'm new
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 02:06:26 AM »
Hi Geally and welcome.  I just know that you will find others that have gone through a similar experience with kids and urge you to post on the parenting board.  I know it has to be hard, but you can get through it!  

I hope that you find what you need and do not hesitate to ask questions!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 02:22:51 AM »
Welcome Geally
I can really relate to your feelings! I was in virtually the same situation as you a year and a half ago. All of those posts were lost when the site changed servers. I can tell you that there are others here who have gone through the same situation too. In the end, my son who was 14, decided to stay with his dad in the States, and my daughter, who was 15, decided to move with me to England. Fast forward to now. . . Jason would have never changed his mind to stay in the states, even though he does not like living with his dad (it’s not like living with mom he says).  He enjoys England, but would not want to live here.  On the flip side of the coin is Jess, she would rather die than leave the UK – she loves it that much! In fact, my husband and I will be returning to the states in early summer. Once Jess is finished with college at the end of June, she will come back to the states for a two-week visit and return to Scotland for college! Kind of complicated – but you get the picture. I have raised an extremely independent young lady, who is fairly well adjusted and has set goals for herself. It would be H E double hockey sticks to get her to go back to the states now!  Anyway, if you have specific questions, I encourage you to ask!
Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 02:44:39 AM »
Hi Geally...welcome to UKY. :) You've definitely come to the right place. There are several who have gone through the same or very similar circumstances as you and it's really nice to be able to talk to people who understand what you're going through. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 03:12:40 PM »
Hiya Geally

Welcome to UKY.I agree with everyone else that you should check out out parent's board.There are many people here that have or are going through the same thing as you are.

Hang in there,and things will work out with understanding  and patience.

Rhia

Hang in there,and things will work out with understand and patience.

Rhia

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 03:12:47 PM »
Hey Geally, welcome to Geordie-land... I am engaged/married to a wonderful Geordie and we live in northumberland...not far from Newcastle...

Good luck with everything...and I hope things sort out with your older children.

Shel
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:15:55 PM by mfredericka »
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 04:26:52 PM »
HI Geally, welcome to the site.  Best of luck with your dilemma.  Like everyone has said there are others here so can understand what you are going thru.  We do like to listen here too so please write when you can.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 05:39:03 PM »
Hey...thanks for the welcome and the advice! I will definitely check out the parents board.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 05:40:21 PM »
BTW...what is this little "I love YaBB 1G- SP1!" on my messages?!! I didn't put it there...hmmm?

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »
Looks like you got rid of it...just click on profile on the top of the page and you can change all sorts of things!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 06:30:51 PM »
Thanks...I managed to figure it out by myself surprisingly! (Don't know where it originally came from, but that is ok!)  :D

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 06:37:49 PM »
It's a default that is set since that is the software this forum uses...I think. ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab