Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Some comments on supermarkets here...  (Read 5534 times)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
Some comments on supermarkets here...
« on: September 27, 2002, 08:03:08 AM »
My husband and I went through the mini-trauma of major grocery shopping last night. We both dread it like the plague, given the inevitable here (we try to avoid the crowds and go in mid to late evening). No matter when you go shopping, though, it's always the same:

1. Half the fruit and veg section is devoid of fruit and veg.

2. Out of what's left, half has an expiration (expiry) date for the day you're shopping, or the next one.

3. The bread section is halfway wiped out.

4. You find bizarre things like frozen chickens next to sorbet (Tesco) or refrigerated beef next to a fertilizer display (Asda). We've also been fortunate enough to find a pair of fake leather gloves in the pizza section at Sainsbury's. :)

5. Suddenly, at around 10 p.m., employees come from seemingly nowhere, blocking large sections of aisles with eight-foot carts, ostensibly for the purposes of restocking, but essentially to gossip among themselves and ignore the fact that customers are standing there, hoping they'll get out of the way so they can get some milk. :) We've equated these employees to roaches that come out after the lights are turned out.

5. While your spouse is busy unloading the grocery cart, and you're at the other end desparately trying to stop the four-pack of Coke and canned goods from slamming into the bread and other smashable products the cashier's already sent through and that are accumulating, while you're manically bagging groceries as fast as you can, the cashier, suddenly struck blind, not only fails to stop the belt, but has found running the bar codes over the scanner FAR too taxing to think of helping you out by bagging some groceries him- or herself.

Bill Bryson has equated going to supermarkets here with how Russians must feel about shopping for groceries. (Obviously, it's not THAT bad, although there are many similarities. I'd slightly downgrade it to the state of stores on America's northeast coast when forecasters are calling for a blizzard. :) )  Any comments, anyone?

Re: Some comments on supermarkets here...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 09:46:09 AM »
Well apart from the bagging thing, you could be describing supermarkets in the US from a British POV! ...And regarding bagging, I'm much more efficient than the cashiers here, and would rather bag my own groceries.

Either way, though, it is a pain getting used to new supermarkets and I think it is made worse when you move internationally because different nationalities think that different things go together.  It's very annoying to me to find the syrups next to the bacon/sausage refrigerator, but having got to know American food a little, I now understand why it's there.  Having a little more difficulty understanding why Meijer puts it's sunglassses in the middle of the fresh meat, though! :)

p.s.  just wondering if you are SuzanneMarie formerly of American Expats?

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2002, 09:55:11 AM »
just wondering if you are SuzanneMarie formerly of American Expats?

Sorry, on rereading I realised that sounded accusatory -I was wondering becuase I remember reading a similar topic there and think I remember SM's comments on the checkouts being similar to yours, then I noticed the name similarity. :)

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 12:35:46 PM »
No, Kerry. I went by suzannemaria on that site.  ;D

Suzannemaria, Pablosmom, Mrs. Peel ..... where do you find the time ?  ;)
You're a daisy if you do........

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 01:43:44 PM »
Suzanne I just gave up with the conditions of supermarkets here.  Especially with some of the fruits and veggies (with the exception of the strawberries - I find the SB blow away the strawberries back home).  If you shop after let's say 6 pm - forgetaboutit...  You might as well make reservations or order in..  Best selection is of course  in the morning to early afternoon.  I've been to ASDA, Tesco's, and Sainsberry - all seem to have the same quality of food after 9pm  - non-existent. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif].  So in order to not have a nervous breakdown and mental strain from it all - I don't shop after 6 pm anymore.  This way I don't compare and Belgium Beer does not hear the comparisions...  As for bagging the groceries - it drives me completely insane that the tellers sit on their asses and do not help out bagging after all the prices are in the register.  Soooo, in return I don't rush bagging - I take my own sweet time..  And if they complain I just look at them and say, well instead of just staring and sitting there god gave you two able hands - use them.  End of story.

OR just order everything on-line via Tesco's or Sainsbury and have them delivered.  I have used both and have not encountered any major FUBAR's (minor stuff like subititutions but they inform you and you have the right to not accept it or they give you only 5 bottles of water instead of 6).  All-in-all you develop feathers and just settle for what it's worth and become immune to it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2002, 01:53:25 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 03:39:54 PM »
Suzannemaria, Pablosmom, Mrs. Peel

I'd rather we didn't get into that here please.

I think we can all relate to the confusion of shopping in a different culture. It takes months to learn what's good and what's not. I still find things that I've never heard of, like "Bubble and Squeak" last week. The first few weeks are crazy, what kind of detergent should you get, if you haven't heard of any before, how do you ask a butcher for ground sausage without getting funny looks, which of the bizarre array of snacks is worth trying? Why doesn't their cheetos taste as nice as the ones back home? Which shops do you have to pay for bags in? Where are the eggs? (not where you think they should be) The list is endless. It's another thing that you have to relearn. Bagging, I get some who help and some who don't, it is deeply annoying, they don't seem to understand that the faster the items are bagged, the faster the queue will move. ::) Fast service is something of a rarity here. They've got all day, they don't seem to care whether you do or not. There is a bakery that has great sandwiches, but I won't go there anymore, the staff are just horrible, snotty and treat customers like crap for having asked them to do something.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 05:05:02 PM »
Instead of going to the grocery yourself, try shopping online at www.tescos.com or www.waitrose.com - they deliver for a minimal fee and it's a lot less stressful that dealing with trolley politics.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Now powermomof4!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 05:31:46 PM »
I have found that grocery shopping is best on Thursdays. Seems to be the day that everything is stocked up well - I assume, in preparation for the weekend.

We must have friendly cashiers here in N. Ireland because I have been assisted with bagging on nearly each shopping trip. It also doesn't hurt that I shop with two babies so the cashiers must feel more inclined to help....??

The thing that gets to me is how crowded the stores are no matter what time I shop. There's a constant traffic jam in the milk/cereal aisle.
IL/IA to Australia to Northern Ireland

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2002, 09:06:20 PM »
I def agree with NYSOM and Marlespo...order online and have it delivered.  Steve and the kid’s dont have the patience to stroll through the supermarkets, lol.  I learned real quick online was the best for us.  Definitely less stress on me and saves us money....bkz we cant impulse buy.  

Although, I must say since moving further out of London...I've been making quick trips to Tesco in the mornings after everyone leaves for work/school (around 10am) havent had any probs with selections.  And after living here almost year I can finally take my time looking around to see what products English supermarkets actually carry.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2002, 02:30:03 AM »
No, Kerry. I went by suzannemaria on that site.  ;D

I'm not Kerry.  Was it you who PMd me to ask that? I did reply.  I seem to have stirred something up and I'm sorry.  Ditto to Leah.  

I'll crawl back into my hole now once I have mentioned that I figured this was up for discussion as it wasn't in the vent forum.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2002, 05:20:42 AM »
Now I didn't go to many stores to shop while in England but the ones we went to were these little convient size stores with a sad sorry array of items. In fact, I didn't see one regular sized store in all of Leeds. Perhaps we just didn't pass any.  [smiley=speechless.gif]

We went into a Safeway, which I was thrilled to see because it's the store I use in the States and I was so dissapointed that they didn't even have tomato juice!!

I also noted the cashier didn't help with the bagging. She just sat there on her chair (!) and barely even registered what she was doing. Talk about lazy.

But in saying all that, I was prepared for it. I had heard that's what they do in England and wasn't shocked. Mildly amused perhaps. And I keep thinking to myself not to assume or expect anything there, after all,  if you go to a foreign country, you've got to expect they'll be foreign.  [smiley=goofy.gif]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2002, 05:22:14 AM by Ashley »
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• When in doubt, pinky out.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2002, 10:37:42 AM »
Great topic!  Now that I'm back in the States I have totally forgotten about all those empy shelves.  People dragging trollies sideways and otherways down the aisles and ramming into me.  Trying to push a loaded trolly forward just to have it meander off in some other direction.  Huge metal cages blocking easy access to the one item you want.  And then there are the checkout staff.  They all seem to have perfected 'the look'.  That blank look they have as they somehow manage to drag all the stuff across the scanner while looking up and right at the ceiling (is there something up there that I can't see?).  And the heavy sigh as you bag your groceries as if you have somehow eaten into their personal time.  I used to wonder why they didn't bag, as really, once you have the item in your hand it doesn't take any more energy to put it in a bag right in front of you than it does to slide it down the counter.  After a while I decided that I would rather bag myself than trust them to do it for me.  That way I can put things in bags with like stuff (all veg in one, all frozen, eggs safely etc).  Sometimes I actually miss Tescos, but probably in a way of missing something that is familiar to you.  Does that make sense?

Jana :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2002, 10:38:39 AM »
I'm with the "order online" faction here. But for mainly other reasons.

1. Online shopping to me is like "Home Shopping Network" to others. I love the point-click-voici thing.
2. My car is but a bit of a thing. It can manage bread, eggs, cheese, milk and that's about it.
3. The longer I am gone during the day, the more likely it is that I may miss a business call, and folks here do not leave messages.
4. My husband loves grocery shopping, but he and I have different philosophies. I always forget to list something if he goes alone. When we go together, he's not keen on my way of looking at everything to remind myself if I need it or not because it takes about twice the time actually needed to shop. And I hate grocery shopping.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• having one of those days...
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2002, 11:17:39 AM »
re: bagging own groceries...

my old neighborhood, when growing up, most people worked at the local supermarket so we all pretty much knew how to bag groceries, so that doesn't really bother me.  i showed orb how and now he likes to tell me which groceries i can bag and which he will bag.

at our local tesco's, we do get asked if we need help bagging, which a lot of older types do need help.  also, if i'm just buying a few things that fit easily into one carrier bag, the checkout person bags it (i just make sure i unload my basket in the correct order for them).

saying that, though, at marks and spencer and iceland, i haven't noticed bagging help, and it is tough when the older ones take ages yet refuse my help when i offer it. oh, well.

i also like shopping at the greengrocer for fruits and veggies. we have 2 in our town and between them they have everything except precut, prewashed salad bags, and the veggies always look good.

i also agree with the others that the morning is also the best time to shop.  just don't go on market day because then the retirees are out in full force, and they mean business in those aisles!!

*:)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2002, 12:11:22 AM »
Another comment: After seeing cashiers routinely and easily bag groceries in the States, my husband's particularly irate that "no one can be bothered" here.

Hmmmm, British supermarket cashiers will help me with the packing if they see me struggling. Is it possible that you or your irate husband are giving off vibes that are putting people off helping you?  ???

Maybe try asking the cashier for a dedicated packer next time you need help with the bagging Suzannemaria? Most British supermarkets worth their salt beef offer a packing service these days.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 01:05:12 AM by Doesjka »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab