Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: List of UK Jobs in Demand  (Read 99373 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: List of UK Jobs in Demand
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »
Does anyone know anything about teachers being a part of this shortage list and work permits? I'm a US qualified/certified teacher looking for work in secondary schools in the Midlands. 

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
Teachers in compulsory level education are on it, as I read it.
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »
Teachers, teachers, teachers!!!!!

I am registered with an agency (with a degree for Elementary Ed) and Primary levels have a lower need than secondary. I'm just crossing my fingers that supply teaching will be good income for me until I can get hired on a permanent post.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 02:54:20 AM »
Hi to all -
I am new to this site- I see the comments about social workers being in demand etc. Does anyone know anything about the chances of work for psychotherapists/counselors or psychologists?   
Any leads or comments, suggestions, recommendations etc  would help me! ???
Gabby

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 03:05:08 AM »
The list of jobs on the official shortage list is on www.workingintheuk.gov.uk [nofollow] - it is best to go directly to the government site than an agency site, as it changes quite often.

However, this does not mean that you will only be able to get a work permit for those positions.

Vicky

Hi Vicky-
One question- any demand for psychotherapists/counselors or psychologists? I have a PhD in clinical psych - what chances do i have?
Gabby

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
The shortage list is about to change.  Look on that site quoted for up to date info.

Vicky

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »
Hi Vicky-
One question- any demand for psychotherapists/counselors or psychologists? I have a PhD in clinical psych - what chances do i have?
Gabby

"Clinical Psychologists" are on the most recently available list, date Sept. 2008 here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/aboutus/workingwithus/mac/uklist

*corrected spelling*
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:29:27 PM by LadyAnglesey »

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 10:17:29 PM »
Just wondering, if the shortage list is being cut due to economy, etc etc, why are teachers being cut (except science and maths) but "skilled ballet dancers" still on the list?! I know this is really a rhetorical question, but how can ballet dancers be in shortage before teachers. No offence, I love ballet and stuff, but how does this make any sense??!!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »
Just wondering, if the shortage list is being cut due to economy, etc etc, why are teachers being cut (except science and maths) but "skilled ballet dancers" still on the list?! I know this is really a rhetorical question, but how can ballet dancers be in shortage before teachers. No offence, I love ballet and stuff, but how does this make any sense??!!

Looking at the Home Office website, the report regarding changes to the list states that the shortage occupations on it are included despite the economic slowdown and assume a stable labour market.

So, I would imagine that if teachers are being cut it's more likely to be because there are now enough UK/EU citizens training and getting jobs in the other subject areas so they have been taken off the list. The main shortage is now in Science and Maths and so the list has been changed accordingly.

Recently the amount of bursary given to UK/EU students undertaking teacher training in certain subjects has been lowered, meaning that the demand for those teachers has dropped - it's not just on the skills shortages list for foreign workers... British teachers/trainee teachers are affected by it too. A UK student training as a Primary School teacher will only receive a £4,000 bursary, whereas a Science/Maths trainee will receive a £9,000 bursary - because Primary School teachers are no longer in particularly in demand and science teachers are desperately needed. A friend of mine recently qualified as an English teacher - she applied for 60 teaching jobs before she got offered one!

I can imagine that there are many more people undertaking teacher training courses now in the UK than there are ballet dancers (apparently in 2005/2006, there were 58,000 UK graduates applying for teacher training courses!), so dancers are still very much in demand. I studied ballet for 17 years and still wasn't good enough to become a professional, so I gave up, got two degrees and now I'm considering doing teacher training next year to become a high school Physics teacher!

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
OK, fair enough about the teachers. But why would there ever be a "shortage" of ballet dancers? It's not really necessary... you know?
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 07:18:24 AM »
There are employers who want to give them jobs, therefore to some it is necessary.  And the definition of 'shortage' is "not enough applicants for the job available", so whether or not you think it is necessary is irrelevent.

Vicky

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
There are employers who want to give them jobs, therefore to some it is necessary.  And the definition of 'shortage' is "not enough applicants for the job available", so whether or not you think it is necessary is irrelevent.

Vicky

Ok. I guess just looking at the list, every other job on there is something that seems more necessary (Engineers, dentists, researchers, etc) and this one just stuck out to me.

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
Do you have any idea what it takes to become a skilled ballet dancer?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 04:55:47 PM by Yael »

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »
Do you have any idea what it takes to become a skilled ballet dancer?

I'm not questioning *that*. I just mean, why would that even register on a shortage list? It's like saying "we don't have enough top models" or something? No doubt not everyone can do it, but if you look at the list, it sticks out and definitely made me go  ??? .

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links