Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: List of UK Jobs in Demand  (Read 99410 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: List of UK Jobs in Demand
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »
I'm not questioning *that*. I just mean, why would that even register on a shortage list? It's like saying "we don't have enough top models" or something? No doubt not everyone can do it, but if you look at the list, it sticks out and definitely made me go  ??? .

Top models aren't exactly the same thing as professional dancers, though. There's no minimum requirement for the number of top models needed, but if dance companies can't get enough dancers, they can't perform shows and the dancers can't make a living.

There are very, very few professional ballet dancers in the UK (I can only think of 2 famous British prima ballerinas in the last 100 years - Margot Fonteyn and Darcy Bussell!), but countries like Russia have considerably more. If a dance company needs a new lead dancer and they can't find one in the UK, then they have to look abroad for one - hence, the profession goes on the shortages list.

From a news article regarding dancers being on the list:

'Ballet dancers tend not to have degrees either, which coupled with lowish entry-level pay means they too will hit problems with immigration. “If we need to get 50 points, we will struggle,” says Lynn Colledge of the Birmingham Royal Ballet, 30% of whose dancers come from outside Europe.

The government hopes the new system will force employers to hire Britons instead, but in some cases the supply is not there. Horse-trainers have offered gentler hours, higher pay and more generous weight limits, to no avail. The Birmingham Royal Ballet tries to recruit from British ballet schools—but many of those students are themselves foreigners. The government has realised that some sectors will fall outside the points system in this way, so it has appointed a panel of economists to draw up a list of occupations that will be allowed to skip it. This advisory committee will publish its list in June.

The panel's guidelines to employers say that to get on the list, they must show they have exhausted other options: attracting British workers with cushier conditions; mechanisation; offshoring; even changing their product. “This is likely to have consequences for the level of employment, prices and/or profitability of their business,” acknowledge the committee's guidelines. In some cases, industries will be allowed to decline. “It has been quite sobering,” admits Diane Coyle, a member of the panel.

What is still not clear—and what the boffins themselves have not yet decided—is how badly an industry ought to suffer before it is allowed to import the workers it needs. How ropey and expensive should the national ballet be allowed to become for the sake of employing British dancers? And how many Chinese take-aways ought to be allowed to close before they are allowed to import chefs?'

• Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »

What is still not clear—and what the boffins themselves have not yet decided—is how badly an industry ought to suffer before it is allowed to import the workers it needs. How ropey and expensive should the national ballet be allowed to become for the sake of employing British dancers? And how many Chinese take-aways ought to be allowed to close before they are allowed to import chefs?'

Interesting article. :) I guess this last bit is the real question.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »
Interesting that Teachers are being removed from the list except for math and science.  I am due to graduate next summer with a graduate degree in Elementary education.  My plan has been to apply for a teaching position in the UK but this may make things a bit more difficult.  Strangely though, the placement agencies for teachers say there is still a high demand for every type of teacher in the UK.  Is the jobs in demand list just for England or does it include Scotland and Wales?

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
Do you qualify for a Tier 1 general visa? Use this points calculator to check: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator. Info about the visa itself is here: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier1/general/.

As far as what the teaching agencies say, I've been in touch with Bluewave, and they say that it really is only math and science teachers. I'm inclined to believe them, as it makes sense. I'm curious as to who has told you differently.

The shortage list applies to all of the UK, unless otherwise indicated.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

"Everyone, just...pretend to be normal, okay?" - Little Miss Sunshine

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »
Interesting that Teachers are being removed from the list except for math and science.  I am due to graduate next summer with a graduate degree in Elementary education.  My plan has been to apply for a teaching position in the UK but this may make things a bit more difficult.  Strangely though, the placement agencies for teachers say there is still a high demand for every type of teacher in the UK.  Is the jobs in demand list just for England or does it include Scotland and Wales?

I believe there is still an adequate demand for primary teachers as many areas have a high turnover of NQTs due to unrealistic expectations from behaviour. A bit similar in the States. I think the figure was 1/3 of all new teachers will quit within the first 5 years. I possibly could have become a statistic myself.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
I keep hearing stories about teachers in the UK going on dozens of interviews and not getting a job, and how PGCE programs are oversubscribed. I guess it comes down to anecdotal versus statistical evidence. Also, I'm sure different cities/towns have varying rates of attrition in different subjects. I guess the Migration Committee has to make a decision based on average rates of attrition throughout the UK.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
At the moment, the MAC only decides shortage jobs...the employer can still get permits of they meet the resident labour market test. 

Vicky

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
It was the MAC that whittled teaching as a shortage profession down to only math and science, right?

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »
In fairness about teachers on the shortage list, there are A LOT of qualified teachers that aren't in post because there are simply not that many teaching jobs at this very moment (except in a few select subjects). I have 4 friends who are doing admin or agency at the moment with no permanent contract in sight.
"They call me the hiphopopotamus, my lyrics are bottomless!"

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 04:41:30 AM »
They seem to usually need doctors, nurses etc

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
One thing I have to say is, if you're looking to go into the medical field, it seems to me like you have a high chance at getting a job but getting one in London seems more difficult. However, it is a good way to go and working for the NHS is great. It pays well and knowing you won't have to turn people away or leave them with huge bills is a good feeling  ;D

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »
hmmm...in this economy I'm surprised they still have a list of jobs in demand!  ::)

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
It's not on the shortage list, but field archaeologists.  We have a MAJOR nationwide shortage.  Anyone interested should check www.bajr.org for job listings.

That's great to hear! I'll be getting a MA in arch, from the Uni of Manc.

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
That post was from 2007.  Things have changed slightly on that front I think. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab