Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: List of UK Jobs in Demand  (Read 99371 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: List of UK Jobs in Demand
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 04:21:13 AM »
Yeah i noticed that after I posted. Wasn't paying attention.

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 04:04:11 AM »
I'm quite happy to see Special Education on this list!  ;D

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
I noticed social work is on the list and I had heard that by 2012 it will be IMPOSSIBLE to get a job in any social care job for non EU passport holders.  Does anyone else know anything about this?  How true is this?

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »
IT professionals are on the shortage list. Anyone with experience securing such a job in the UK?

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 01:36:25 AM »
It's not on the shortage list, but field archaeologists.  We have a MAJOR nationwide shortage.  Anyone interested should check www.bajr.org [nofollow] for job listings.

I think I will definitely finish my degree in Archeology then, I only had a year left!

you can find any jobs here in the US too many applicants

• Liked: 533
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
Helena, there are a lot of exciting things happening in the field here.

Perhaps you have heard that while repairing a parking lot here they dug up the remains of Kind Richard III (1452 – 1485), the last  of Plantagenet dynasty. Just out there under the asphalt. You can hardly dig a post hole without hitting something Roman or from the Beaker culture.

Good luck with it!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
I think I will definitely finish my degree in Archeology then, I only had a year left!

you can find any jobs here in the US too many applicants

Keep in mind though that that quote from Elliejean is eight years old. The list changes regularly and usually the jobs in demand are high-level ones that require years of experience. It is possible to move to the UK on a work visa, but you should be prepared for it to take a long time.

Have a look at this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/308513/shortageoccupationlistapril14.pdf
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
Im so confused :(

I posted on another thread and was told basically... if I didn't apply for a job that was on the shortage list no way will that company sponsor my visa (because its not like they cant fill it locally)

My specialization is living history interpreting and I trained at Colonial Williamsburg. If I applied to work in a museum as Queen Elizabeth I am I wasting my time? Because Living history interpreters aren't on the list like Doctors?

Just trying to clarify before I start applying

thanks for any help im so confused!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »
Employers can only sponsor you for a visa if a) they are registered sponsors, and b) they cannot find anyone else in all of the UK or EU to fill the post. The only benefit of the shortage list is that employers can hire you for those roles without having to meet this second requirement.

I think it's very unlikely that working in a museum as Queen Elizabeth is something that an American is more qualified for than a British person, no offense. It's possible that you'll be able to find someone to sponsor you once you've graduated and built up some experience, but quite honestly I think you'll have a hard time with no degree or newly graduated. The rules are really strict these days and they're trying to keep people out.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
First of all

I attended and William and Mary for my bachelor's in history, then attended University of Cambridge by bursary.
 I then worked for Williamsburg and travelled the world with them as Patsy Jefferson.

I have the education....and experience.  My grandfather was also born in London and I was also born with a British accent.

thanks for your comment.... though. I saw a positive comment a couple pages back and wanted to clarify my options.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
My specialization is living history interpreting and I trained at Colonial Williamsburg. If I applied to work in a museum as Queen Elizabeth I am I wasting my time?

Yes, you're wasting your time. Surely you can understand that there's no way you would be more qualified as a living history interpreter than someone who is British and already lives in the UK and thus has no need to be sponsored for a visa?

Obviously you can apply but don't be surprised if you don't get responses.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:37:45 PM by geeta »

• Britannicaine
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
First of all

I attended and William and Mary for my bachelor's in history, then attended University of Cambridge by bursary.
 I then worked for Williamsburg and travelled the world with them as Patsy Jefferson.

I have the education....and experience.  My grandfather was also born in London and I was also born with a British accent.

thanks for your comment.... though. I saw a positive comment a couple pages back and wanted to clarify my options.

Well, you were saying before that you were going to finish your degree so I naturally assumed you didn't have a degree.

Even so, I can't imagine that your experience as you've described it makes you better qualified to work as a living history interpreter in the UK than a British person. What would you bring to the role that no one else can? If the answer is "nothing" then you will not be able to find sponsorship.

It's unfortunate that your parents weren't born in London, then you would have a claim to British citizenship by descent. Grandparents are too distant a connection though.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 533
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
Anything is possible. I think a person with training/experience/education would have a better shot than someone (British) without. Your qualifications are simply better.

That being said, an opening may have numerous British/EU applicants who are also qualified. I think a perspective employer must show a solid reason for hiring the non UK/EU applicant.

The point that you are American and therefore would not do a good job as Queen Elizabeth is shaky. I would hope, given that today we see things like Idris Elba being talked about for the James Bond role, that there is room for inclusiveness.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
I don't think anyone made the point that being an American has anything to do with not doing a good job as playing Queen Elizabeth. It's just difficult to see why anyone could do a better job of it than someone who already has the right to live and work in the UK. Obviously a trained actor is one thing. But Britain has lots of those.

Sponsored Links