Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just a little vent regarding how Austism is treate  (Read 840 times)

• My home page
  • Liked: 0
Just a little vent regarding how Austism is treate
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:02:07 AM »
I was reading in Monday's paper about a little girl who has been expelled from two schools because of her behavior problems.  The last because she attempted to stab another student!  The parents are upset she has been expelled because they think she may have some form of austism!

Speaking as a mother trying to get her child tested, statemented, helped for autism (Asperger's Syndrome) I am disgusted that parents would say that the behavior is "some form of austism".  Yes austism has a broad spectrum but you don't throw the condition around and use it as an excuse for poor behavior.

I so desparately want my son to be accepted and helped in this society.  It is hard enough to get through life let alone with a special outlook on the world.  All I need is for a very misunderstood condition to get used for justification bad behavior.  AHHHHHHH!!!!!

My son is very loving, caring and attentive.  And unfortunately it is the "normal" (I hate using that word) kids that pick and tease him on the playground.

Sorry but had to vent...thanks for listening.
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Just a little vent regarding how Austism is tr
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 11:51:46 AM »
I would seriously doubt that little girl is autistic in any sense of the word (I read the article, too, and was outraged as well).

That little girl was probably never told "no" when she was tiny, and now because the parent's can't or won't control her, they expect they can dump her in the school system and make it their problem to figure out how to deal with her.

You're right - it makes it all that much more difficult for children who really do have medical conditions to be accepted and understood when idiots like this use it as a convenient excuse for not disciplining their child.

Not as big a vent - but one just the same!  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab