Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Slimming World?  (Read 27825 times)

• Liked: 1
Slimming World?
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »
Hi Everyone!7 years

Well it's been about a month and a half since i moved to Leeds and have noticed a few lbs creeping up on me (if i'm completely honest i already needed to lose about a stone possibly a stone and a half when i moved in August).

In the past i'd been a weight watchers devotee and lost nearly 50 lbs a few years back and have crept up about a stone in the seven years since.

The friend i'm staying with until we take ownership of the house Dan and I just bought is a Slimming World former member so we decided to join last night (for her re-join).  It's quite different in the plan but the core idea of supportive meetings and weekly weigh ins are similar, and i must say that the group last night was a really good laugh so i think i'll enjoy it. 

Just wondered if anyone else had tried Slimming World and if they had any success?

• Liked: 2
Re: Slimming World?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:27:16 PM »
I share an office with a gal who has been with SW since Feb and lost 3.5 stone. She looks amazing though she has another 2+ stone to go. Sounds as if she has a great group and is highly motivated to lose. SHe's got her teenage sons on it as well and they're doing well though the vegetarian is not losing nearly as quickly as his meat loving brother..

I think the weekly weigh in is a great motivational tool.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:32:04 PM »
Jamie went for a while. He did like it a lot but at the time he couldn't afford it every week. He did really well going. I think when we can afford it, he'll go again. He lost 2 stone I believe?

• updated photo! :)
    • www.myspace.com/vivian2003
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:44:50 PM »
wow i think i would like to try it.  is it expensive?  according to.. convertme.com i weigh 15.71 (roughly) i'd like to looks about 3-5 stone.. i'd look so much better!! :) and be much more confident of myself
-Vicks

Can't wait to save the money to get to the UK!! :)
Car is PAID OFF!!! Woo Hoo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »
Right now they are having a reduced registration fee,so it is £5 to join as opposed to the £10 it goes back up to in late October.

Weekly meeting fee is £4.25.  (so for first meeting you pay £9.25).

I'm finding it enjoyable so far.  Last night i was allowed unlimited sushi and even had a couple cocktails (all considered on the plan).

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
I belonged to it before I had the kids & what I really love about SW is that the plan is realistic.  You don't have to buy their food & you can convert it into a way of life. Also the free food i great - I hate to starve when I'm trying to lose weight! I have to get back there b/c I never reached my target before i had my girls!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »
I thought I wud bump this topic up being that it is the time when most people try an keep the New Years resolutions. Dh & myself tried Slimming World we didnt like it at all. but I have been going to Weight Watchers since mid October of last year, Im doing fantastic on the WW plan. well in the 4 weeks I went to SW I only lost 3 pounds total.  >:( I strictly followed the plan but I didnt have any luck with SW.  ::) my first official weigh in at Weight Watchers I lost 4 pounds. ;D I know that all weight loss plans arent for everyone good thing there is variety out there. my American friend has been going to SW for over a year now she has lost over 5 stone. my Dh's friend has been going to SW for over a year as well she has lost 4&1/2 stone. obvioulsy SW wasnt working for me but Im glad SW has worked for them they both look fantastic. ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Hopefully by October of this year I will have lost as much as them if not more on the Weight Watchers plan.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Goodluck to whoever tries to lose weight by either plan.  :)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:42 AM »
My whole problem with SW is the basic concept. Isn't this the one where you have red and green days where red is meat and starch and green mostly veg? Or something like that? I have a real issue with having 'days' where certain foods are or aren't allowed, particularly if you have kids. I think it would be a really unhealthy message to sit down to a meal with the family but have to pass on the chicken because mommy is having a 'green' day. What will that be telling your children about healthy relationships with food?

But that's just my 2p. I think of all the commercial plans WW is probably the best. Just wish I could stick to it!! :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Proud US/UK citizen & Royal Marine Commando Wife!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »
No, it's not like that at all.  Nothing is forbidden.  On green days you have free foods you can eat (which are things such as potatoes, pasta, rice, and most fruits and vegetables).  On original days your free foods would be lean meats, fish, shellfish, and most vegetables and fruits.  You can eat as many of the free foods as you would like.  Then you have what are called healthy extras for both plans.  This would be where, using the original plan as an example, you could eat potatoes, pasta and such.  You would only be allowed to eat a certain amount though. Likewise, healthy extras on the green plan would be lean meats, fish and such.  They also have a plan called mix2max, where you can mix foods from both plans. Nothing is denied. My hubby and 20 month-old daughter eats everything I eat, and they both love it! 

I have had experience with Weight Watchers (in the States), and I just never felt motivated enough with it. Of course, not every plan works for everyone.  I love SW though!! My consultant, Rachel, is awesome!  I, also, love all the men and women in my group.  They rock!  It has worked extremely well for me.  Been going since November and have lost over a stone, and eat basically whatever I want.  Even lost weight over the holidays!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:01:52 AM by wvgirl69 »

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14:53 PM »
My whole problem with SW is the basic concept. Isn't this the one where you have red and green days where red is meat and starch and green mostly veg? Or something like that? I have a real issue with having 'days' where certain foods are or aren't allowed, particularly if you have kids. I think it would be a really unhealthy message to sit down to a meal with the family but have to pass on the chicken because mommy is having a 'green' day. What will that be telling your children about healthy relationships with food?

But that's just my 2p. I think of all the commercial plans WW is probably the best. Just wish I could stick to it!! :)

That was our whole problem with SW the green & red days. we dont have kids but my Dh & I were having problems with meals.  ::) like you said not every plan is for everyone good thing there is variety out there.   :)

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
Okay, I'm going to throw this out there - what does a stone equal in pounds? :-\\\\
FYI....I'm not vain, this is meaning of my last name :)

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
Okay, I'm going to throw this out there - what does a stone equal in pounds? :-\\\\

14 pounds to 1 stone

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 04:47:47 PM »

I used to say pounds all the time but got tired of having to convert it to stones. but if im with people who know me I will use pounds instead stones it's what im used to.

• Proud US/UK citizen & Royal Marine Commando Wife!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »
I am happy to say that I have now lost over one stone!!  Not only did I lose it and more, I also won Slimmer of the Week last Wednesday.  I have now lost 15 1/2 lbs in less than 2 months, and it's all been healthy, yummy eating.  I went home with my lovely prize...a basket of assorted fruits and am happy to say...it is almost gone!!  Thank you, Slimming World!!!!  ;D

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »
Conratulations wvgirl.

I like measuring body weight in stones rather than pounds, because if you gain or lose a stone, it's a significant amount of weight.

People fuss about gaining or losing a few pounds, when that is really just water and doesn't make a difference to your health or appearance.

Sponsored Links