Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US citizen moving back to the UK with husband  (Read 602 times)

• Liked: 0
US citizen moving back to the UK with husband
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:33:26 PM »
Hello! I was just wondering if I could get some help on some questions I have about immigrating to the UK. My husband is a British citizenship. About a year ago, he moved to the US with me and has since gotten a green card. However, we are now very seriously considering moving back to Britain. Ergo, I'll be the one doing the visa process now. One of my mine questions is this: How long does it take the embassy here to process a VAF2 (Settlement) visa?

Also, do you think we would run into any problems with the support and accomodation stuff? Obviously, we don't have accomodation there. We'll initially have to stay with his parents until we get a place of our own after we get jobs. He's planning on asking around for plumbing apprenticeships when we go back for Christmas so he might potentially have a job lined up for him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lexy

P.S. We've been married for one year over here in the States.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 08:42:32 PM by cukababy »

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
Re: US citizen moving back to the UK with husband
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:42:26 PM »
You'll have to prove that you have a place to live. Perhaps try getting a place lined up before you apply, or at least get a letter from his family giving permission for you two to stay with them when you arrive.

If neither of you have a job, you're typically supposed to have around 6 months savings in order to support yourselves. I would submit your CV's in order to prove that you are capable  of finding work.

As far as how long it takes, I applied through the consulate in Chicago by mail and received my visa in 8 days.
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:49:25 PM »
How long does it take the embassy here to process a VAF2 (Settlement) visa?

1-2 weeks if you apply by mail, or the same day if you apply in person at the relevant British consulate (either in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles depending on what state you live in.)

We'll initially have to stay with his parents until we get a place of our own after we get jobs.

That's fine- his parents will just have to write a letter saying you can live with them for a while and provide proof that they own their house, or permission from their landlord if they rent.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 01:10:32 PM »
Six months savings is not necessary if you are going to be supported by parents until you are sorted.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
Well, I know we'll both be getting some bonuses, refunds, etc. after Christmas, so I can just put that in savings. Also, his parents are planning on giving us some money when we go back for Christmas, which he is just going to put in an interest bearing account over there. So that'll help for savings. :D

Haha, I just have to say I can't believe how much easier and cheaper the visa process is for the UK than it was for the US. That's amazing!!

Lexy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:25:16 PM »
I am planning on moving back to Britain with my wife in the springtime of '07, we've been married for 4 and a half years and so hopefully when we apply for her settlement visa she will automatically get marked as elligible for permanent residence when we go through immigration.

How long is the settlement Visa approved for? We looked at the online forms and they seem to want a travel date but we won't really know an exact move date until the visa is approved and so want to provide a date that will give us ample time to arrange a move etc.

• Location: Dallas to Manchester to Austin TX to Tulsa OK to Manchester UK
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »
How long is the settlement Visa approved for? We looked at the online forms and they seem to want a travel date but we won't really know an exact move date until the visa is approved and so want to provide a date that will give us ample time to arrange a move etc.

Hi,

I made the mistake of applying for my visa too early. I thought as you, that I didn't want to make travel arrangements till I had my visa in hand, but they really want to know when you plan on traveling. You should not apply more than 3 months before your departure date. I applied 5 months in advance; and they were going to hold all our docs for 2 months. Then I found out I would be traveling 2 months earlier, so they went ahead and issued it. They post date the visa in accordance with your travel plans, so you can't go before the date. It is good for 6 months from the date on the visa.

HTH

Penny

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »
Thats great to know, I guess we'll apply in february time and tell them we want to leave May 1st with a more realistic time being June/July.

Thanks for the help :)

Sponsored Links