Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: evidence of accomodation???  (Read 768 times)

• Liked: 0
evidence of accomodation???
« on: November 11, 2006, 11:38:52 PM »
More complications!

I Just came across this line in the visa "documentary requirements" on www.britainusa.com:

NOTE: Under the Rules you must demonstrate that you have the intention and ability to acquire adequate accommodation of your own or which you occupy yourselves (i.e. a separate unit of accommodation. One room in a shared property may not be acceptable other than on a strictly temporary basis).  

www.ukvisas.gov.uk says:
you must have suitable accommodation, which is owned or lived in only by you and your household, and where you and your dependants can live without any help from public funds

HELP!
My Fiance is about to sign a lease on an apartment that we are going to share with another married couple... not a traditional arrangement, I know, but we are all four happy with the plan as we get along well and it allows us to afford a place in London we wouldn't normally be able to.  We do plan on getting a place of our own but not for about a year (when this lease runs out).

Am I going to be denied my spouse visa because of this? (We're getting married in the US before I return to the UK (thanks to advice from this forum!!))
Aren't there other people that get married but don't immediately live on their own?
Is one year considered a "temporary basis"?
and one more:  Will this affect my ILR in two years?

I don't know what to do... please please advise me!  I throw myself at the feet of the forum  ???

And I'm thinkin' if you were mine,
I'd never let you go,
And that would be just beautiful I know
Beautiful to take a chance,
And if you fall, you fall
And I'm thinkin'
I wouldn't mind at all . . . (Billie Holiday)

Re: evidence of accomodation???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »
When we went to NYC, we brought a letter from my father in law saying we'd be staying with them for a while.  We also brought his mortgage paperwork and had no problems at all. 

June

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »
Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. All you need to do is get a letter from the couple you are sharing with saying that they are aware that you will be living with them and that it is ok. A letter from the landlord is useful as well stating everyone's names who will be on the lease.

Basically in your cover letter just stress that you will have a room of your own. You'll have to mention how many bathrooms, bedrooms, living rooms etc. You just have to prove that you'll have a private space of your own and that the premises are not overcrowded. We shared a flat as well when I first got my visa and it was absolutely no problem. Good luck!
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 10:42:44 PM »
Ahhh...  [smiley=doh.gif] What a relief.  I'll tell him to go ahead and move forward with the lease.

However, we need to submit our application before the lease is actually in effect.  We have letters from both his dad and brother saying we can stay with them if we need to but we don't intend to because hopefully we'll have this other place by the time I get there.  Do we need to submit the number of rooms, names of other people living there, etc for his dad and/or brother's place or the place we're trying to get (even though we won't have any official document saying we can live there)?

The application only says "where you intend to live" so I'm confused.
Any thoughts?

Thank you so so much!
And I'm thinkin' if you were mine,
I'd never let you go,
And that would be just beautiful I know
Beautiful to take a chance,
And if you fall, you fall
And I'm thinkin'
I wouldn't mind at all . . . (Billie Holiday)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »
Do both, and explain the situation in the cover letter.

Vicky

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
Yeah get a letter from his family stating the number of rooms and that they are aware and support the two of you moving in with them if necessary. Stress that it would be strictly temporary and that you are in the process of getting accomodation of your own. Is it possible to get a letter from the would be landlord before the contract is signed? If he is aware you guys are moving in it might be helpful if he could just write a quick letter saying that he gives you permission to live there, what the rent will be, etc etc
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »
Bumping this post up to ask....

So, say my boyfriend and I are living in a shared house (4 bedrooms, so we occupy two bedrooms and have friends that occupy the other two.)  We sleep in one bedroom (a double bedroom) and convert the other bedroom into a separate study/living area just for us.  We still share a lounge, kitchen and bathroom with the other two people in the house.

(This isn't my living situation now, but very well might be this July.)

Would that situation be considered suitable accommodation for the purposes of a spousal visa?  Does it make a difference whether we each have a separate lease or the landlord puts us both on the same lease (meaning we are each responsible for both bedrooms?)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 01:02:06 PM »
Absolutely fine.  I have made several applications for couples who are living in houseshares, and it's not a problem.

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 01:04:07 PM »
Vicky- you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that.  You're a star! :D
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 01:11:47 PM »
No worries.

And just to clarify...it also is okay even if it is a joint tenancy for all four of you, as these things usually are.

Vicky

Sponsored Links