Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello fellow Americans  (Read 2782 times)

• Maine to London
  • Liked: 0
Hello fellow Americans
« on: October 09, 2002, 07:48:55 PM »
I moved here from the states 3 months ago.  I moved here to marry my fiance.  We married in August and I am now anxiously awaiting my spouse visa.  I applied approximately 4 weeks ago and I should be hearing something in the next 2 weeks.  I had been doing alright but I am beginning to become really homesick and lonely.  It is difficult to meet people when you are not working.  My husband has been great, but it would be nice to meet and talk with people who understand what it is like leaving your family, friends, job and not to mention your culture.  
I thought about doing some volunteer work while I am waiting for my spouse visa.  Does anyone have any advise on seeking volunteer work?  
I hope to meet fellow americans that can offer support, advice and friendship.
Hanging in there,
Expat :'(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2002, 11:11:12 AM by expat »
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Hello fellow Americans
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 09:36:39 PM »
Hi Expat.

Elaborate!

Where did you live before you moved across? Where do you live now? How did you meet your husband? Is this your first marriage? How does your family feel about you being here? What kind of work did you do before? Have you been sightseeing many places here? Are you a cat-lover or a dog-lover? What was your first grade teacher's name?

Oh wait, you don't have to answer all those.

I personally don't know about charity work, as in working in charity shops, except that I believe you need to have that "permission to work" first. But, I'm sure there are several things you can do by just hanging around and offering help.

I know it's tough settling in at first. I went through an awful time. It was really when I met up with others who have gone through the same that I finally felt that I was not only NOT insane, but I started shedding off the shell around me that kept me isolated from people in general.

I've been here almost five years now and I love it here. I feel really settled. It's my home now.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 12:00:14 AM »
Hi Expat...welcome to the forum.  :) I'm not living over there yet so I don't have any advice for you on the volunteer thing but just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck.  :)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2002, 02:30:51 AM »
Hi Expat,

Don't worry we've all been there (and at times still go through bouts of homesickness).

As for volunteering opps these sites may help you a bit.  I don't know where you're located but this should give you a start.

http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/

http://london.fawco.org

http://www.americanchurchinlondon.org/soup.htm
« Last Edit: October 10, 2002, 02:31:28 AM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Maine to London
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2002, 12:07:13 PM »
Hi Lisa E,
Thank you for the words of encouragement.  We live in London and I moved from a city outside of Boston.  This is the first (and last) ;) marriage for both of us.  
I read somewhere on this website about registering at the American Embassy.  Can anyone tell me anymore about that?  
I am so happy to have found this site, it is a huge comfort to know there are others out there going through the same feelings and emotions.
Thank you NYState_of_Mind and Meli_Snell for your kind greetings! :D
Feeling better already,
expat :D :D :D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2002, 01:10:37 PM »
hey there expat...

you have already received some very helpful info from the others  :)   ive been here for one year now and still can remember like yesterday that 3 month mark.  i think its the hardest hurdle you have to get over. although i still get homesick i dont get down as bad as i use to.  so hang in there...things do get better.  

as far as volunteer work goes....i did a lil bit of volunteer work before we moved out of london.  like you, i thought it would be a great way to meet people and ultimately give me something to do.  unfortunately...it didnt, lol.  when i went for the interview there was LOTS of ladies around, all volunters doing various jobs.  i thought WOW i hit the joke pot, lol...PEOPLE, new friends, and  a social life!!!  anway, my first day the director showed my what i needed to do....answer phone (support calls from all over england, wales, ireland), and clerical stuff.  at first i thought cool.  but after that first day i realized....NO ONE else worked on mondays except for me and the director and she was down the hall so i had no contact with her at all.  and on top of that i couldnt understand half the people that were calling in for support  (YIKES!!)  after a couple of months of really TRYING and forcing myself to even show up...i asked if there were other days i could work (i need people) but there wasnt.  anyway, i toughed it out and stayed on until we moved.  it was a good experience for me, i reckon and something to put down on my UK resume.  

so....let that be a lesson for ya, lol.  make sure when u volunter ASK QUESTIONS!!, lol.  definitely find out the who, what and when...regarding the job/position.  

GOOD LUCK!!  and keep us posted
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2002, 10:40:01 PM »
Hi expat!  Welcome to the site and welcome to London!

I've been here in London for about 18 months now and like ItsBeCoz, I remember well that three month hurtle....feels good to be getting settled, doesn't it?  It's tough but you just stick it out and things do get easier.  

Making friends in the UK can be difficult, and from my experience and from what other Brits have told me, it is especially hard to find that 'social network' here in this city.  But I'm sure it can be done, and meanwhile, you just learn to get by!

Best of luck in everything and hope you'll keep posting!

• Maine to London
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 11:16:53 AM »
Thank you ItsBcoz for the tips on volunteering.  I have been in touch with the american church in london people about the habitat for humanity project.  We'll see how that goes, I will be sure to ask lots of questions!   :D
I can imagine finding the social network in the city is difficult.  Fortunately I have my husband (course that is why I moved here after all!) and he has great friends.  I would however like to meet my own friends . . . is that silly?  :-/
Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome. :D

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 04:53:31 PM »
Welcome expat

I am not yet there but I wanted to wish you greetings.  You will find that there are many people here from the London area and hopefully you will get the chance to become acquainted with a few.

my fiance also has a nice group of friends whom I am sure I will get to know better...  but I do understand the need for your own...  hang in there and with time you will be fine...  although I can not imagine the homesickness part just yet...  however I am looking forward to feeling homesick...  because then I know I will be there.

Michele

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Maine to London
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2002, 05:01:58 PM »
Thanks mfredericka.  I do now what you mean about wanting to feel homesick because then you know you are here!  My fiance and I had to do the long distance thing for quite a while and boy oh boy was the ever difficult!  :-[ Thank you for the wake up call and to stop feeling sorry for myself.  I love my husband so much and I cannot imagine life without him.   Okay, now I am getting sappy, sorry  ;D
So, when will you be here?

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2002, 05:41:11 PM »
Nah, no wake up call...  being homesick is enevitable being in a foreign country with new lifestyles...  so be homesick... but happy in love homesick...

yea I can be mushy too! I am a 46 yr old romantic that can not wait to be with her man.

He will be coming to the states for Thanksgiving...  and hopefully he will be coming back again with in 2 months so that we can be married and then go for the spousal in NYC on what we would call our honeymoon...lol!  then I can finally go home to the cottage we both picked out to rent over a year ago... in Northumberland, UK
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Maine to London
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2002, 08:21:54 PM »
Good luck with your plans mfredericka  ;)
I am sure all will fall into place for you and your man to finally be together.  
Hang in there.
expat
btw . . . I have said a prayer that the maniac in the DC area will be caught in order that this madness comes to an end.   :'(

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2002, 07:06:16 PM »
Welcome Expat!  This is a great site and I'm sure you'll get as addicted to it as I am and I'm not even over yet!  

I have an English fiance who will be moving back to the UK the end of this month.  I'm dreading being apart from him although we have promised each other not to be apart more then three weeks if at all possible (I'm flying over for two weeks in mid-Nov to be with him) and then moving over in mid-December. I'm staying on a bit longer to deal with some family things. tie up loose ends, etc.  

Please keep us posted on what you find out about volunteering.  I volunteered a lot until recently over here and even though the situation is completely different, it helped me to meet new and interesting people!  Hopefully it'll work that way over there!  Best of luck to you!!

Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Maine to London
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2002, 08:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the welcome runner1.
I am looking into habitat for humanity, I will post an update soon.  
Good luck on the move!
expat

• Liked: 25
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2002, 11:16:21 PM »
Hello expat, welcome to the group. I'm sorry I'm a bit late, I do notice when there are new members, but my spare time is few and far between at the moment. I hope you'll make yourself at home here, we have a lovely bunch of people. :)

Sponsored Links