Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bringing nanny from US  (Read 716 times)

• Liked: 0
Bringing nanny from US
« on: November 18, 2006, 02:04:01 AM »
hi,

does anyone have experience bringing a nanny from the US to the UK? my nanny has been with us for 4 years and we would like to bring her with us to london. she is a green card holder.

what has been your experience?

thanks in advance.

• Liked: 2
Re: Bringing nanny from US
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 07:32:02 AM »
There are special rules for bringing domestic staff into the uk so I am moving this to the visas board where you will get the information you need.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:31:22 AM »
hi,

does anyone have experience bringing a nanny from the US to the UK? my nanny has been with us for 4 years and we would like to bring her with us to london. she is a green card holder.

what has been your experience?

thanks in advance.

I would suggest to be absolutely sure that your nanny understands how the new points system is going to affect her status in the uk.  Nannies from non-au-pair countries now fall into the MDW category under the new scheme.  It means they get a 6 months permit after which they must leave the UK, and during that six months you are supposed to find an EU replacement. 

Under the old rules, a nanny could stay with their employer and apply for settlement just like anyone else on a work permit.  But that's gone now.

So it's important to be sure that your nanny understands what's going to happen because otherwise it's not really fair.

I meant to find out today if there's been any transitioning provisions, but am tied down in other things; perhaps Vicky will be along to let us know the provisions if any...

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 10:39:37 AM »
also consider the implications of leaving the US (even temporarily)  and the effects on her green card, *especially* if she's thinking about getting US citizenship someday.  More than 6 months out of the country is usually enough to break continuous residency and resets the 5-year naturalization clock to the very beginning.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »
Garry - at the OISC conference we asked for details on domestic staff, but none were available.  I think you know more about this than I do.

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »
Garry - at the OISC conference we asked for details on domestic staff, but none were available.  I think you know more about this than I do.

JCWI bulletin from Eleonore Kofman  :o 

The details were available, they just said that they weren't because the suspension of HSMP is enough of a bombshell for one day.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 04:50:26 PM »
Is there still provision for domestic workers who are abused?

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »
Is there still provision for domestic workers who are abused?

Vicky

No.  This is because they are not going to be here for longer than 6 months, and we don't have a settlement path for people admitted for 6 months or less. 

No abuse provision and no opportunity to change employers.

And even worse, they get returned to their country of domicile - where they won't be employed or settled because their employers are in the UK.  Not to mention that the country of domicile was where they were making remittances to in the first instance.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:18:48 AM »
my nanny is considering applying for US citizenship prior to moving to the UK with us. would this change in citizenship status allow her to travel to the UK with us?

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »
my nanny is considering applying for US citizenship prior to moving to the UK with us. would this change in citizenship status allow her to travel to the UK with us?

If you're asking if there are some sort of special concessions for US citizens, then no.  And I don't know when you're planning to move but getting US citizenship can take a considerable amount of time- it was four months for me, which was surprisingly speedy, but it's not unusual for it to be a year or more in some areas.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab