Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Three Months in Belgium  (Read 471 times)

• Liked: 0
Three Months in Belgium
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:29:28 AM »
I am here on a spousal visa (entered in October 2006). In about a year (January 2008), my husband will be working in Brussels for 3 months. I'm hoping that I will get to move over there with him, but it all depends on what is going on with my job at the time.

I just realised that this may be more complicated than I thought. I have a few questions.

-Would I be able to work in Belgium during this time due to having a UK visa? If so, what visas/paperwork would I need to complete? If I can't work, can I live over there simply with the visa I have?

-Will it affect my ILR application (to be made in Oct of 2008) if we have been living together outside of the UK in Belgium for 3 months?

and, if I can't go...

-Will it affect my ILR application if he is living in Belgium for 3 months and I am here in the UK (I would try to visit as often as possible  :)).

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate any input you might have.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Three Months in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:03:24 PM »
The UK visa counts for nothing in Belgium, so you are probably going to have to check out Belgian immigration law for the details.

However, if you don't intend to work there, you could do it just as a visitor.  If your absence is for less than three months, and his absence is only temporary (ie secondment from UK company) and he definitely will only be there for 3 months, then there should be no block to your ILR.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:36:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Vicky! The chances of me finding a job in that short amount of time would be pretty unlikely, but I just wanted to know where I stood legally.

Glad to hear that it shouldn't cause any problems for ILR.

Now since this will be around a 90 day absence from the UK, do I need to worry about not leaving the UK anymore than for just those 3 months that year, or is the 90 day mark just a guideline for ILR? I would imagine that if I could I would have other trips out of the UK that year (perhaps a trip home to the US later that same year). Is this a problem?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 06:11:36 PM by kate_mate »

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 11:37:16 AM »
Assuming that he is a UK citizen and he decided to exercise his treaty rights, Belgium is obliged to provide the same sort of accommodations for EU citizens and allow their family members to work in the country.  While there maybe some paperwork involved, the should be the Belgium equivalent of the UK EEA Family Permit.

Again, if it is just for three months, it may not be worth the hassle.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links