Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: End of visitors visa- what next?  (Read 1222 times)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
Re: End of visitors visa- what next?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »
I really hope it works out for you two and you are able to stay when you come back. Good luck! (and see you soon!)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 03:23:19 PM »
Once I am back in January, we will put all our energy into his move to the states. 

You might want to check out the visa page on the US Embassy site and also the USCIS site for visa information.

The USCIS deal with immigration, the Embassy is where he'll need to get his visa from.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »
I am curious as to the wording of the e-mail from ukvisas..."a visitor cannot be in the UK for more than 6 months in any 12 month period"...was this the EXACT wording?

I saw that too, but figured the OP was carelessly rephrasing the email.  If that's what the email actually says exactly, then the email is wrong. 

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »
Not trying to be nosey, but how is he going to be able to live in America? Have you researched that at all?

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 05:03:25 PM »
I hope UK Visas is wrong.  Here is the exact email:

Re-entry to the UK within six months of the initial entry should not normally present a problem, but please note that a person admitted to the UK as a visitor is not permitted to stay in the UK for more than a total of six months in any 12-month period.

For more information, see leaflet INF 2 on our website.

So, not sure if I worded it wrong or not.  Does this mean that since I have been in the UK but have left several times to go travelling I would be ok, since I didn't "stay" and not leave?  This is all confusing me!

We have done some research about my boyfriend coming to the states, but we have really been focusing on me being able to come back after Christmas.  I know things are going to take forever so we really need to get on it.  We possibly have a sponsor for a work visa, or we might go the student route, or heck, we might just get married. 

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »
So, not sure if I worded it wrong or not.  Does this mean that since I have been in the UK but have left several times to go travelling I would be ok, since I didn't "stay" and not leave?  This is all confusing me!

No, it doesn't mean that.  And the email is correct with the exception that the rule they cited is constructive. 

So your two choices that I can see are:  [1] take your chances on a cross-channel hop out/hop in and get restamped for another 6 months.  Chancey, but certainly legal and it works for some.  or [2] return to the US and get an entry clearance as a visitor. 

The INF2 brochure is helpful, but doesn't really explain the rule.  Have a look at....

http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/spentleave.shtml

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 09:40:14 PM »
Garry,
Thank you so much for your clarification and that link.  Since I am going home for Christmas, I am just going to go ahead and apply for the visitor visa.  If I have all the documents required and am financially stable due to my boyfriend and parents, do you think there is any chance of a denial?  Thanks again for your help everyone:)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 11:01:52 AM »
There is always a chance.  Your worry is that the IO willt hink you are using the visit visa to live in the UK and circumvent the rules.

But take Garry's advice and this will be less likely.

Vicky

Sponsored Links