Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need Help badly(divorce not final?)  (Read 910 times)

• Bunny girl me
    • Its myspace!!!
  • Liked: 0
Need Help badly(divorce not final?)
« on: November 30, 2006, 06:34:53 PM »
We planned to get married in Chicago and get all the visa stuff done there etc.  When we met he was married but separated.  The divorce papers still aren't through.  She lives in Tennessee,  he's here with me...she's filing all.  She Say's they are LEGALLY divorced but is waiting on a court date for papers...  Does that sound right? 

What can we do?  We don't want to chance getting him back in the UK for another 6 months and already had the wedding stuff planned.

HELP!!!

:\\\'( :\\\'(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:10:49 PM by Mindy »
Raven, Billy and the ratties....

x

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Need Help badly(divorce not final?)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »
If the papers aren't thru, they aren't legally divorced. When did you plan to get married? 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
Kristi's right - he'll need the papers to prove that he is legally able to marry.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:20:12 PM »
I understand completely. My brit had to go through 8mts of divorce h*ll before I moved over, I know it's harder in the UK, so maybe I'm of no help. I can suggest reading a book that's called "How to marry a divorced man" It's not cheesy, it tells you how to deal with the divorce, be supportive of him without making an ugly scene about the ex.

Steve had to have the decree absolute before he could marry me and that will be essentially what you both need (whatever it's called in the US, I'm american, but I have no idea).

Good luck!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »
in the states, it's just the final divorce decree signed by the judge, you should get it from your lawyer within a week after its signed. i assume he has his own lawyer? not a good idea, (or allowed, i think) to just use one lawyer.

• Bunny girl me
    • Its myspace!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
He doesn't have his own lawyer.  There was nothing to divide.  I assumed it would be a straightfoward divorce.  Now i'm freaking out.

Wedding was planned for January 20 something.

???

Is there no way he could get a letter with a stamp from the county saying he's divorced without the absolute?

Thanks so much all.

x

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 03:24:43 PM »
Without the absolute he's not divorced.  I think he should contact the court himself to find out what is happening, as what she has said sounds totally off to me.

Vicky

• Bunny girl me
    • Its myspace!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »
Sounds off to me as well.  He has emailed the county regarding this twice and had no reply whatsoever.  She is known for her silly games.

She said she filed back in July.

Thanks again.

x

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 09:21:27 PM »
Not only that, many states have a waiting period before remarriage is possible.  My state, Wisconsin, for instance, specifically states that I can't remarry until six months after the date of the final decree, NO MATTER WHERE I INTEND TO GET MARRIED.  When we gave notice at the register office here in Birmingham, aside from checking to make sure I'm really divorced, I'm sure they also checked on this, since it states it right in the papers.

For whatever state and county you believe she filed the papers in (the county of her residence?), do an Internet search for that state's circuit court access.  If they have such a thing, you should be able to look by county and his last name to see if there is any kind of divorce action pending...good luck! 

(If I was at all interested, I could do this for Wisconsin and keep an eye on whether my ex-husband has gotten into any trouble at all!  I see my son got a speeding ticket a while back and paid his fine...)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Bunny girl me
    • Its myspace!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 02:40:40 PM »
We are really freaked out as we thought we had everything sorted.  Merry xmas eh?   :-[

x

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »
Has he signed the final papers? If he has all he has to do is call the courthouse and ask if everything is finalized and get a copy sent to him. If he didnt sign, then chances are he's not divorced yet. Sorry. Best wishes. x

• Bunny girl me
    • Its myspace!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »
He did sign papers of some description....  didn't realise he had to sign the final ones too...!!!!

OMG.......

x

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »
In America, divorce papers that are signed are the final set.  A simple sign off for the judge can be walked in.  She would have to have filed the papers in the county she lives in.  This can be checked by your future husband.  He can call the court house and find out if it has been filed.  If so, he can check when the court date is.  He can also request a certified copy of it and pay to have it copied and mailed.

Without the final signature, judge signed and court stamp, the divorce is not final.

I know in Texas, once you get a divorce, you cannot get married in Texas for 30 days.  That doesn't stop you from going to another state and getting married.  If you are getting married in Illinois, then the waiting period will be waived.  You will need to check the marriage license for how long before the ceremony do you have to have it.  My fiance flew in on a Wednesday, we got the license on a Thursday and got married on a Sunday.  It's a 72 hours minimum in Texas, maximum of 30 days.

Have him call the courts and see if it has been filed. That's the most proactive way.

~BEG

Sponsored Links