Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR Question: croydon & time to file  (Read 557 times)

• Liked: 0
FLR Question: croydon & time to file
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
Hi, back again with more questions!
Now that my love and I tied the knot last week and made _that_ official, we need to move onto the next step of applying for my FLR (visa?)...

My fiance visa expires on jan 1st 2007. So Is it too early for us to apply? (I thought I had read somewhere you weren't supposed to apply for so many days before it expired but I can't find the info /post anymore)

Is the FLR(M) the right form?

Also, I know that going and doing it in person costs about 250 more than not--can someone tell me what we should expect when we do that? Do they give us an answer same day? Do they grill us like the NY embassy did?(that was scary!)

Also, how do you make an appointment to do it? (does anyone have a phone# for the place? Or are they like in NYC where you have to do it all online and then go after they release another block of appts?)

I'm thankful in advance for any help--I'm turning into a basket case just thinking about it!
 ??? ??? :-\\\\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:19:54 PM by teamaven »

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: FLR Question: croydon & time to file
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »
No, you can apply for your FLR anytime after you have married and the sooner the better, because if you want to leave the UK, you might have difficulty returning if you haven't converted.  You are confusing it with your ILR which you can only for when you are close to your FLR expiring.

Yes, the FLR(M) is the correct form.

It is £500 for in person service/£350 by post.  Most straight forward applications are processed the same day.  The process can take up to four hours.

You would want to go to your nearest PEO (Croydon, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool).  Information on them can be found at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/contactus/publicenquiryoffices/.

You have to make an appointment at each of them.  You just need to call their inquiry line.  For Croydon, I just booked an appointment and the first available dates where about 6 business days out.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »
No, you can apply for your FLR anytime after you have married and the sooner the better, because if you want to leave the UK, you might have difficulty returning if you haven't converted.  You are confusing it with your ILR which you can only for when you are close to your FLR expiring.

Yes, the FLR(M) is the correct form.

It is £500 for in person service/£350 by post.  Most straight forward applications are processed the same day.  The process can take up to four hours.

You would want to go to your nearest PEO (Croydon, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool).  Information on them can be found at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/contactus/publicenquiryoffices/.

You have to make an appointment at each of them.  You just need to call their inquiry line.  For Croydon, I just booked an appointment and the first available dates where about 6 business days out.

:)
Thank you for the info!
And for clarifying for me which one needs the wait before expiriation!

I'd been assuming that they all had to be processed through Croydon. We're only a short hop from Birmingham, so I took a look at the site witht he links and now have scheduled an appt for next week! *I'm still all nervous about it*

Is it pretty much the same thing as going to the embassy in NY? You're on one side of the glass, you slide your supporting documentation through the teller-window and try to answer the questions the best you can? *I've got a terrible case of nerves about this and what to expect*

anywho, thanks muchly!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:22:46 PM »
The in-person application is only to be used when applications are very straight forward and when the applicant won't need questionsing at all as everything is in the documentation.  You may have to clarify some things, but you will not be grilled - you will basically just be passing them your documentation and then waiting.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for you input!
Everything went fine! *well mostly--they lost one of the pictures of my husband, but I brought extras so it was ok!*

Woo! I've got my FLR! *Grin*

Sponsored Links