Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US green card holder moving to UK  (Read 1524 times)

• Liked: 0
US green card holder moving to UK
« on: December 03, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »
hello everyone -

I'm a US greencard holder the last 12yrs. Didn't really thought of applying for US citizenship since i thought i'd never marry anyone outside of the country among other things. Anyway i just got married recently to a UK citizen and we've decided that i'd move there. My questions is, has anyone here done this or do any of you know if there would be a problem applying for a spousal visa if one is not a US citizen but a greencard holder?

Any info will be greatly appreaciated.

Best regards.

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

Re: US green card holder moving to UK
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »
I don't see why there would be a problem with filing in the US if you are a resident instead of a citizen.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »
no problems, you can certainly apply at the consulates in the US.  Of course, they'll want proof of permanent residency when you apply for your visa (probably a copy of your green card- the list of acceptable documents for non-US citizens is somewhere on the britainusa site.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:06:18 AM »
Thank you guys, that was a bit of a relief. Now here's my next question(s)  :( ....
should i get a new passport bearing my new surname or can i use the old passport i have that has my maiden name. I had my passport renewed 2yrs ago and is valid for 5yrs, would the british consulate accept that? Would it be the same with the greencard? will they accept it even if doesn't have my husband's surname. Pls advice.

Thanks again.

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »
You may lose your green card later if you move to UK, some poeple need to go back every 6 months to keep thier GC valid. But things may change.  I would apply for US citizens just in case things will not work in UK .

kal

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 06:39:35 PM »
You may lose your green card later if you move to UK, some poeple need to go back every 6 months to keep thier GC valid. But things may change.  I would apply for US citizens just in case things will not work in UK .

You can lose it sooner than that if you don't adhere to the rules and regs. regarding permanent residency in the US.

Check uscis.gov for details.

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 11:16:53 PM »
For example  in uk you can be outside of UK for 6 weeks per year and total of 6 months in the last five years to. be able to hold your UK-GC.
Kal

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 03:51:19 PM »
Yep, check the current conditions for retaining the status of permanent resident alien in the U.S. carefully. 

I lost my U.S. green card because I'd been out of the country too long.  It was very annoying to find out that had I just gone back for a long weekend I'd have been all right for another year.  :(
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 10:26:39 PM »
Yes, they are definitely cracking down on people trying to keep their green cards by simply returning now and then to the US while residing abroad, so I would recommend that you get your US citizenship before you leave. It's a simple process and won't take that very long.

Sponsored Links