Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just to get these straight...  (Read 814 times)

• I love you baby bear.
    • My Livejournal
  • Liked: 0
Just to get these straight...
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:48:48 PM »
Just to get everyone on the same page here, I'm the USC and he's the UKC. We're not officially engaged but we have talked about the M-word a few times. I'm still waiting on divorce papers to be signed and returned from my estranged husband. now that you know my story, on to the questions.

I've been looking into what our options are for getting married and moving to the UK for a couple of years until we can be eligible to file DCF for him to come back to the US. I have a few specific questions that I was unable to find in the search feature.

Tell me if I'm right:
*Marriage visa - fill one form, pay one fee and get to enter and work right away. file for an extention 2 years later if needed.
*Fiance visa - fill a form, pay a fee, enter, get married, fill another form and another fee (and does this include work authorization or is this a separate form and fee?) file for an extention 2 years later if needed.

It looks like all there is to it is the location you want to get married. I was thinking we could marry here as soon as he came in for a visit and overnight everything to Chicago and just wait here and honeymoon until we received everything back from the embassy. Not too sure if he would be able to stay away from work longer than 2 weeks if needed. Not only that, it would make me nervous to be sending his passport in the mail while he's still here.  :-\\\\ He was thinking fiance visa because then he wouldn't have to leave me here after we got married.  :\\\'(

I'm really interested in what happens after you come in on a fiance visa and get married. timeframes, forms, fees etc. All that I can find is about the marriage visa.
11 Jan 06 - We met online and became friends
4 Feb - Became a couple
17 Mar - I went to Hull to meet the guy
20 Mar - First "I love you"
25 Mar - I go home :(
16-25 Nov - He comes to visit me in Texas
14 Dec - ENGAGED! <3
1 Mar - 4 April 07 - I fly off to see my babe in Hull
9 Oct - he comes to Texas!
13 Oct - WEDDING!!!
22 Oct - he goes home :(
14 Nov - applied for Spouse Visa
13 Dec - moved to Hull.

Re: Just to get these straight...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:00:19 PM »
Tell me if I'm right:
*Marriage visa - fill one form, pay one fee and get to enter and work right away. file for an extention 2 years later if needed.
*Fiance visa - fill a form, pay a fee, enter, get married, fill another form and another fee (and does this include work authorization or is this a separate form and fee?) file for an extention 2 years later if needed.

You've got the process right....the "extension" you refer to is Indefinite Leave to Remain, which is permanent residence in the UK.  If you're planning to do DCF back to the States, you'll need to have ILR, which means you'll be in the UK for at least 2 years + a few months if you do DCF right away.

If you want to marry in the States while he's there but don't want to send in his actual passport, you can have a certified copy of his passport made and send that in instead, or his long-form birth certificate.  Either one of those will suffice.  It takes about 1-2 weeks (by mail) to process either a fiance or spousal visa application at the British consulates in the US.  If you apply in person, it's same-day service.

More about the fiance visa...well, it's good for 6 months, during which time you must get married in the UK. You cannot work on a fiance visa.  After marriage you fill out form FLR(M) and send in supporting documentation (basically the same as for the fiance visa, only with updated bank statements and things like that), and pay £335 (if applying by mail...you'll get your 2-year visa back in about 4 weeks) or £500 (if applying in person at a Public Enquiry Office in the UK...you'll get the FLR the same day.)  After you've got FLR, you can work. 

{The rest of this applies to both the fiancee visa + FLR and the spousal visa.}

Over the next two years, you'll need to collect all kinds of official mail addressed to both you and your husband, to prove you live in the same household (you'll need this for the ILR application.)  You'll also have to pass the Life in the UK test, proving you're knowledgeable about...life in the UK. 

Shortly before your FLR expires, you apply to stay in the UK permanently (ILR), using form SET(M).   You pay another fee for that application (same as for the FLR.)  Then that's it- you're done with UK immigration forever, unless you want to become a citizen after three years of residence.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 11:09:31 PM by Andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• I love you baby bear.
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »
Thank you SO MUCH! That really cleared up everything. I really appreciate it [smiley=heart.gif]
11 Jan 06 - We met online and became friends
4 Feb - Became a couple
17 Mar - I went to Hull to meet the guy
20 Mar - First "I love you"
25 Mar - I go home :(
16-25 Nov - He comes to visit me in Texas
14 Dec - ENGAGED! <3
1 Mar - 4 April 07 - I fly off to see my babe in Hull
9 Oct - he comes to Texas!
13 Oct - WEDDING!!!
22 Oct - he goes home :(
14 Nov - applied for Spouse Visa
13 Dec - moved to Hull.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:20:26 PM »
Andrea's always really good at explaining these things!  :)

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 11:29:46 AM »
Andrea's always really good at explaining these things!  :)

Aww, thanks! :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab