Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finally found our new home...but the neighbors  (Read 4056 times)

• My home page
  • Liked: 0
Finally found our new home...but the neighbors
« on: February 11, 2004, 01:28:36 AM »
Well after months of searching and living with my in-laws we finally found a house.  We completed a week ago and are in the process of moving in and fixing the things that need fixed immediately....leak in the roof and shower!  I am really looking forward to having my own home again.

BUT....one evening when we were at the house the alarm system on the house went off and we had now idea how to shut it off.  A bell on the outside of the house started going off along with a strobe!  So after doing everything we could think of aside from starting to cut wires I finally said to my DH "sorry but I think you are going to have to go intoduce yourself to the neighbors (who also have the same bell thingy on their house).  Now these people have a house twice the size of our because of extensions etc and they have a jaguar and range rover sitting in their driveway.  Not that this bothers me but just to set the scene.  Well my hubby goes over and is their forever.  They were very nice and called the alarm company but said to my husband "their is one issue I needed to talk to you about"...mind you alarm still going off and I am sure we were endearing ourselves to the other neighbors.  Their house is on a strangely shaped plot.  Their front yard does not have much grass due to the type of plot and the fact that they put in a huge brick paved driveway. Our front yards have no divide...it is just open...the only front yards like it on the street.  Well I guess the older lady that lived there before let the neighbor's "man" take care of the front yard.  The issue was that they wanted to know whether they should let their "man" continue because they noticed a lot of moss in the grass.  And that the front yard for basically 2/3 ours but the "man" doesn't cut the strip on the other side of the drive.

Well this really bothered me.  We never met these people before and the first time we did with alarms going off they bring up the boundry because I am sure they are worried how it will effect the look of their house.  Also our part of the yard is actually more than they think it is.  We are also lucky enough to have a front yard that is 90 feet long.

So what do I do.  I don't want to get off on the wrong foot but I immediately want to put up a 20 foot fence.  My DH and I we thinking that we would like to put a hedge of flower bed down the boundry because aside from the whole neighbor thing we think it would make the yard and front of the house look nicer.  We also thought it would be better to put something in sooner rather than later to avoid any hard feelings. I haven't even moved in and I already have to worry about the neigbors....my head hurts!

"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

Re: Finally found our new home...but the neighbors
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 01:42:50 AM »
lol just one piece of advice here....fences make good neighbors!  Even if its a flower bed.  lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 02:52:44 AM »
lol just one piece of advice here....fences make good neighbors!  Even if its a flower bed.  lol

Good advice!
Good luck and happy unpacking!

• Life needs to be worked at.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 05:37:09 AM »
  Well first check to see if you are allowed by the local bylaws and by your deeds to make sure you can fence off.   If you can why not put up a 3 foot high overlap fence with a 1 foot high trellis on top.   They could not say it looked ugly etc and it would certainly show which is your yard, and would also keep out dogs etc to stop any fouling.
G

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 08:58:05 AM »
K, it's not what you want to hear, I know. But best this is out in the open and gotten out of the way. They have been stewing on this since they found out the house was for sale. And they probably didn't want to come and bother you while you were moving in. But now that they have your attention, they can bring up this point. I know from your veiwpoint it looked like bad timing...but for them it's been an issue for a long time.

I cannot say that neighbors are different in this country versus the US because I have never lived in such close proximity here, and had such a wide berth there, nor been in an area where there are so many semis that every house in an estate agent's window is assumed to be semi-detached unless otherwise stated it isn't. For that reason, I suspect neighbors in the UK have become much more territorial.

I know the neighbors we used to have were from hell. Trust me from my own experience: Get to know your neighbors, talk to them, compromise and let then know anything you want to do that may affect them (garden changes, home repairs, etc.). An ounce of prevention, ma'dear.

You think just moving meant freedom? Mwahahaha! Welcome to the neighborhood, kiddies!  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 09:21:27 AM »
Start as you mean to go on.  Be polite, be friendly, but at the end of the day, it's your house and you can do what you want.  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 11:03:09 AM »
Start as you mean to go on.  Be polite, be friendly, but at the end of the day, it's your house and you can do what you want.  

As long as you have all the requisite planning permission... ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links