Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American with Swiss Spouse - which visa, how to go about things?  (Read 506 times)

• Liked: 0
American with Swiss Spouse - which visa, how to go about things?
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »
I'm American, my husband is Swiss and we live in Switzerland.

I've searched through the forum and didn't see this question. My apologies if my search was lacking!  :)

Since the Swiss are treated (more or less) as EU members, we would like to take advantage of the mobility offered. We are strongly considering a move to the UK in the next year.

My husband would move to the UK first and get settled for up to six months, while I finish working out my employment contract and all here in Switzerland. I'd leave just after I was eligible for the Swiss equivalent of ILR.

I know I don't need a visa to join him, but I've read that a family permit is advisable. I've noticed the family permits are non-settlement visas. We'd both like to settle in the UK, but the info I've read on the visas website is confusing and unclear. Other than the family permit, is there anything else I need to file for in order to settle and eventually be eligible for ILR in the UK?

If anyone has done this, I'd be grateful for any advice or words of wisdom you might have.

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: American with Swiss Spouse - which visa, how to go about things?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:45:29 AM »
We have a few people in the forum that are married to EU citizens.  Essentially the easiest way is to apply for an EEA Family Permit.  You can find out all the information you need here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1145892134742.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
Re: American with Swiss Spouse - which visa, how to go about things?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
Thank you - that link provided much more information than I'd found by searching on my own. Seems very straightforward, thankfully!!

Sponsored Links