Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: IRL in May and passport  (Read 683 times)

• Liked: 0
IRL in May and passport
« on: December 10, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
My FLR ends June 17th 2007. Do I need to apply for IRL 6 or 4 weeks before that expires? And how soon can I make the appointment? I'll be applying in person, because I won't be able to handle waiting. I couldn't handle waiting a week for my computer to be fixed without obsessively checking 10 times a day. Also, what do I do about my passport? I'm going to get a UK passport when I get citizenship, but will I have to keep my US passport? When I travel to the US, do I travel with both, or can I go with the UK one. What happens when the US passport runs out?

Thanks very much!

Also, I don't think I have many documents from June 05 to October 05. I have loads from January onwards, so should I worry? I have a few (I think) bank statements with our old address. I also have a few payslips as well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:23:17 PM by happyutopia »

Re: IRL in May and passport
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:30:43 PM »
You can apply starting 28 days prior to your FLR expiration date (so the earliest date you can apply for ILR is May 20, 2007.)

Remember you'll have to take the new Life in the UK test in April 2007 (brand new requirement for ILR.)

Your US passport is still valid regardless of whether or not you get a UK passport eventually....the important thing to remember is that when traveling to the US you must enter and leave the US on an American passport (so that means traveling with 2 passports when you become a UK citizen.)  When your US passport runs out, you can just renew it like normal (you don't have to of course, but if you plan on visiting the US you'll need to.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »
You can apply starting 28 days prior to your FLR expiration date (so the earliest date you can apply for ILR is May 20, 2007.)

Remember you'll have to take the new Life in the UK test in April 2007 (brand new requirement for ILR.)

Your US passport is still valid regardless of whether or not you get a UK passport eventually....the important thing to remember is that when traveling to the US you must enter and leave the US on an American passport (so that means traveling with 2 passports when you become a UK citizen.)  When your US passport runs out, you can just renew it like normal (you don't have to of course, but if you plan on visiting the US you'll need to.)

Thanks! I added the book for the test to my Christmas list as a very late addition. :)

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »
Thanks! I added the book for the test to my Christmas list as a very late addition. :)

Oh, don't know if you've read the other thread but don't buy a Life in the UK test book yet!  They're completely revising the test so make sure you get a copy of the new book when it comes out in a few months. :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 09:01:28 PM »
Oh, don't know if you've read the other thread but don't buy a Life in the UK test book yet!  They're completely revising the test so make sure you get a copy of the new book when it comes out in a few months. :)

Thanks for letting me know, I thought it already came out!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
As Garry stated in the other thread, you can take the test whenever you want, and just save the results to attach to your ILR application. I'm going to try to take it as soon as possible, to get it out of the way.

Just make sure you get the right book for the test you will be taking.

HappyUtopia, my FLR expires about a week before yours.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab