Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Should we marry here in the UK or go back to the States  (Read 463 times)

• Liked: 0
Should we marry here in the UK or go back to the States
« on: December 13, 2006, 04:21:06 PM »
Hello,  I am currently here on a 6 month Fiancee Visa.  It will expire on the 8th March, 2007.  My fiance is a British National.  I am from Chicago, this is also where I received my visa stamp originally.  We are planning our wedding now and i must find out which way is the best way to handle things.   Can he and I just get married here in the UK at a County Courthouse rather than return to the States?  Then am I able to apply for the ILR instead of having to get a spousal visa.  Not sure how to handle this.  My British Consulate said its easier for him to come to the US and then I apply for the Spousal Visa in order to return to the UK,  but at the moment financially that just seems so expensive. But I am already here, in the UK. Why must I return to the States?  Can someone please help us out here and let me know the quickest and cheapest way to handle the Visa arrangements if a visa is even needed. What is the marriage process here?  I sure would like to get married here rather than have to return to the States.

Re: Should we marry here in the UK or go back to the States
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:38:44 PM »
lots of misunderstandings abound here, so let me see if I can clear them up for you.

1. You do NOT have to go back to the US to get a spouse visa.  The fiancee visa was designed for couples who want to get married in the UK and complete the rest of the immigration process from within the UK.  Spousal visas are for those who are already married and want to immigrate to the UK.  You are supposed to get married here on a fiancee visa.

2.  After you get married (and before your fiancee visa expires), you need to apply for Further Leave to Remain (FLR), which is good for two years.  It is the equivalent of a spousal visa from a British consulate.  You will not get ILR (permanent residence) simply by virtue of being married- you need to complete 2 years of residence in the UK before you are eligible for ILR.  To apply for FLR, go to the IND website, fill out form FLR(M) and attach the required supporting documents.  The cost is £335 by post, £500 if you apply in person (which is same-day service.)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:41:53 PM by Andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:41:50 PM »
cross post... sorry andrea.  to follow on from what andrea said...

after you recieve your FLR  you & your husband then start collecting all sorts of mail, bills, bank statements, official letters etc.  22 months or so after you recieved your FLR visa, you take the "Life in the UK" test, which tests your english ability & knowledge of the UK.  23 months after you recieved your FLR visa, you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).  part of this application is showing that you & your husband lived at the same address, together for these 23 months (hence all the joint statements, mails, etc that tie you both to the same address)

the last step (which is optional) is to apply for citizenship.

If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:44:50 PM »
Thank you Andrea.. Thats what I had thought.. From reading on others posts.. I was a bit confused with the having to go back to the States., and about the ILR.  Just have so many questions to ask, I was so easily confused with alll the different Visas.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab