Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving to UK and Moving Back to USA  (Read 3398 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving to UK and Moving Back to USA
« on: October 15, 2002, 03:00:14 AM »
My British husband is a permanent US Resident, although not an American Citizen. I am an American and have been married to my wonderful husband for 12 years. We would like to go and live in England for a couple of years, so I can see how the other half lives. I read somewhere on a post that I would have to have $75,000.00 in assets before we would be able to move back to the US. Is that correct?  Also, to be honest I am very scared of the prospect of leaving the US, as I was born, raised and still live in Arizona. Would anyone like to share some pros and cons with me?
Rebecca Cooke

Re: Moving to UK and Moving Back to USA
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 08:34:10 PM »
.... I read somewhere on a post that I would have to have $75,000.00 in assets before we would be able to move back to the US. Is that correct?

Hi Rebecca!

I'm sure that others will debate the pros and cons with you, but it would be a great experience.

<snip> ...... <snip> ....... <snip>  [see my later posting, below]

PS It is now possible to hold dual citizen ship (US/UK) under US law.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 01:54:03 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 03:56:28 AM »
Richard,
Thank you for your reply and information.  I just wanted to clarify: If one of us has a job secured back in the US that meets the Federal minimum poverty level ,then we do not need to have the $75K. Is this correct?  Also, do I need any paperwork when I leave the US? ie: permission to leave?
And can I clarify the situation with my husband: he has lived in the US for twenty years and is a legal Resident Alien, but is a British Citizen. If he becomes an American Citizen before we leave for England he would not need a Visa to re-enter the US,but if he does not become a Citiizen he would have to re-apply?  Sorry to ask so many questions. I really appreciate your help.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 10:40:56 AM »
Becca,
Hi, I would really phone the consulate with these questions.  Sometimes it's best to get the official line with specific questions.  

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 01:48:06 AM »
Becca,
Hi, I would really phone the consulate with these questions.  Sometimes it's best to get the official line with specific questions.  

Agreed, but it is often useful to know the answers to expect, then you've got a chance to notice that you are being fed bull****.
Richard,
Thank you for your reply and information.  I just wanted to clarify: If one of us has a job secured back in the US that meets the Federal minimum poverty level ,then we do not need to have the $75K. Is this correct?  

That was my undestanding, but I have just checked www.ins.gov and it looks like a LPR does not need a visa to return, and then the visa and job/$75K would not apply.  I would certainly recommend following up with the INS on this point.

Also, do I need any paperwork when I leave the US? ie: permission to leave?
Uh?  :o  This isn't the communist block!  Though you are supposed to register with the US embassy in the country you are moving to.

And can I clarify the situation with my husband: ..... if he does not become a Citiizen he would have to re-apply?  
No he would not have to reapply - so far as can see on the INS website (see above).

Sorry to ask so many questions. I really appreciate your help.
 No problem Becca, let me know if you are still not clear.  One thing that is absolutely certain, and I think even 12YAC would have to concede, is that if your husband is a US citizen he can come and go as he pleases.  Period.

One other thought on taking US citizenship.  I understand that anyone who is not a citizen does not get retirement benefits (medicaid), no matter that they have paid US taxes for twenty years or more.
Richard

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 01:56:59 AM »

One thing that is absolutely certain, and I think even 12YAC would have to concede, is that if your husband is a US citizen he can come and go as he pleases.  Period.

I wasn't disagreeing with you Richard, but I do believe that while we can offer opinions, help and personal experience, for official answers to specific questions, it's always best to go straight to the source. Becca seems to be in a unique situation and would probably benefit from talking to someone.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.  

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 12:37:01 AM »
Richard,
Also, do I need any paperwork when I leave the US? ie: permission to leave?

Hi Becca.

You don't need any permission from the US government to leave but you will need to get a visa from the UK government to live here in the UK.  

As you are already married, you will need to contact the consulate that governs your area of the US and apply for a spousal visa.  Otherwise it isn't likely you'll get past the immigrations officers when you get here!

Good luck!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 11:16:09 AM »
Having the US to UK route, and now applying for spouse to go UK to US, I can testify going west to east across the ocean is 100 times easier!!

ps. I would agree, the £1.30/min rate to speak to someone in the London embassy is ridiculous but at least you know you're getting the right info.

Mr Val - really? no medicad - ouch. something to think about there.

Becca71 - can you describe a bit about the dual citizenship - take that you mean not just for UK/US offspring. thanks.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 04:40:29 PM »
Ok let me get this correct unless my h :ousband who has paid into our SS for the past 20 years becomes a US Citizen he will not get medicaid, how about SS retirement. If say he becomes a Citizen will his benefit start from when he becomes a citizen or from when he came here in 83.

Rebecca

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2002, 06:43:55 PM »
Just got of the phone with Social Security and they said that as long as you have paid in 40 quarters or for 10 years you will receive full Medicare and retirement if you are a PRA.
Also because my Husband is a PRA he is only allowed to leave the Countrey for 11 months and 28 days after that he would have to reapply for a new visa, unless he gets a form 1131 and approval before we leave.
Rebecca

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2002, 06:44:34 AM »
.... Also because my Husband is a PRA he is only allowed to leave the Countrey for 11 months and 28 days after that he would have to reapply for a new visa, unless he gets a form 1131 and approval before we leave.

So, the first post I made in this thread, and later deleted after some doubt was cast on it's accuracy, was actually correct!  :)

Ok let me get this correct unless my h :ousband who has paid into our SS for the past 20 years becomes a US Citizen he will not get medicaid, how about SS retirement.
So far as understand the rules, if he is not a citizen he cannot get any state retirement/ medicaid benefits.

If say he becomes a Citizen will his benefit start from when he becomes a citizen or from when he came here in 83. .....
So far as understand the rules, becoming a citizen entitles you to benefit from all the taxes you have paid under your SS number, i.e. since first arriving in the US.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 06:50:08 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

Sponsored Links