Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to file a US Tax Return?  (Read 99697 times)

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
Re: Do I need to file a US Tax Return?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »
Worth the hassle of filing if they're going to give me $30  :)
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »
I'm getting really confused...

Can anyone confirm if we (expats living in the UK) automatically get an extension til June?  If so, does this also apply for state returns?

So, what are we supposed to send the UK tax men to show how much we made in the UK? The last wage slip of 2006? 

I'm starting to get really confused and anxious because I can't find much information on the web regarding my situation (moved to the UK mid-year, so I have US income and UK income for 2006). Everything really seems to be geared towards those who worked the entire year abroad.

I really should see an accountant, but I can't afford one! Grrrr!

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 04:25:15 PM »
Yael.

Yes, auto for Fed.  For state, you have to tell us which state.  Or look at the instructions for your state tax return extension form.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »
Its Illinois and I couldn't find this information on my state return.

I take that back..it says "we grant an automatic six-month extension of time to file your return"

Under who is an Illinois resident it says "if you are absent from Illinois for one year or more, we will presume you are a nonresident of illinois".

Because at the time I file I'll have been gone for over a year, do you think it would be best to file as a non-resident, or part year resident?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:18:02 PM by Yael »

• British American Tax
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »
IL - file as Part-Year resident for the year you left.  The instructions to the forms will tell you whether that is done on a Resident or NonResident Form.  The instructions will tell you if an extension is allowed, and if so, how to apply for one.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

Oops, I need to file for last two years! Please help!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »
As I am very new to the forum and apparently one of those Americans who has 'commonly misunderstood' I didn't think I needed to file tax returns anymore.  Oops. I have been reading through the posts as well as checking out the embassy's IRS page but would greatly appreciate some advice specific to my situation, as I am rather nervous and freaked out now! 

Ok, so I am an American ex-pat married to a British citizen.  First thing I was wondering was whether the US and UK tax years are the same?  (Would be immensely helpful if this was so!) Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I honestly do not know!

Next, here's what's been going on the last two years.  It would be awesome if someone could help steer me in the right direction regarding which forms to use and anything else they know from experience to be helpful etc.

Lived in the USA until November 2005.  Earned a measly $1,204.89 (I was a student).
Moved to UK in November.  Got a temp job and earned a whopping £1,111.66 according to my P60.  This works out to about: $ 3250.34

So...do I file for this amount?  And, is there anything in particular I have to do (i.e. use a special form since there are BOTH USA and UK income during that year?)

Been living, working and earning all year in the UK (apart from 2 weeks in the USA on holiday.)  Have only made about $24,000.

Clearly I fall WAY BELOW the taxable amount of $82,400 so qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, right?   So does this just mean that I will not be taxed so long as I attach Form 2555 or 2555-EZ?

Sigh.  This is just rather confusing and making me anxious, especially since I seem to have latched onto this so late.  I greatly appreciate any and all assistance!

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 12:24:18 PM »
ok so what about us dual citizens who moved over here when we were 13??? i have had only one weekend job and one temp job for 6 weeks and thats it? Am i supposed to file tax returns or something???? And if i haven't will ii get in trouble for not doing it? Something that hadn't even crossed my mind! I jut thought because i lived here i paid english taxes (though i have yet to pay any as i haven't earned enough yet) and if i went to the states i would just pay american taxes right?? :-\\\\

• British American Tax
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
Southern Harmony,

Yup.  You should have been filing every year you had income.  To get caught up, you probably only have to do the last three years.  Before posting further questions, read every post in the forum first.  It'll give you a good starting area.  Also read the website for the US Embassy in London, paying particular close attention to the IRS FAQ. 

Once you've read up, then post with any questions you may have.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

• Nearly British
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi I'm a work permit holder and have been since 16 July 2007. My permit is up on 16 January 2008 at that time I am planning on renewing unless something goes horribly wrong... lets figure that it won't at this point. I understand that I will need to file taxes in the States even though i won't owe anything because my income is not that big. I do wonder though, do i file UK taxes if i earn £20,000 (sorry for offending anyone with saying my salary but i just want to get some clarity without beating around the bush). If i do file in the UK do I get a refund? from the US or the UK? i could use that lovely refund check!  I'm desperately confused and could really use some advice on this. [smiley=sick.gif]
I'm Here

July 2007: UK Work Permit Allocated
July 2007: Moved to the UK
Nov 2013: ILR
Jan 2015: Application for Naturalisation Submitted

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
I moved to the UK in late 2006. As I didn't work in the UK at all in that year, my taxes were pretty straightforward just filed for my US income, and put my US address on the forms.

A couple of questions for 2007:

-I have worked at two different jobs for this year, and have not exceeded the $82,000 (or whatever it is now) limit. What do I submit to show my income? Just my last pay stub from 2007 from my current job, as well as my last paystub from the job I left in the spring?

-Do I need to file NJ taxes? As I said, I filed under my NJ address last year. I still have a NJ license, and have bank statements sent to this address (my mom's house). What is my obligation to file at this point?

-Also, I think I may have asked this before, but does it matter whether I use my mom's address in NJ, or my address in London on the forms? Any advantage to using one over the other?

Thanks in advance! I'm so grateful for this board.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 10:13:05 PM »
now, here's where I'm caught:

Do I file married filing jointly or separately? DH is british and does not have any US sourced income, so I don't have to get a TIN for him or anything, but I am married, so how do I file?
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Liked: 102
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:12 PM »
You file married filing separately unless you formally elect to file jointly.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »
thanks, I was really confused on that one, now to figure out my whole self employed in the UK thing, that's going to be fun!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »
Where do I get the forms, I am really terrible I have always paid someone to do my taxes and am completly lost on this entire thing.

• British American Tax
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
Free, but you have to do the work yourself:  www.IRS.gov

Costs a wee bit, but they step-by-step you through the process making it much less likely you'll make a mistake:  TurboTax.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab