Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is your best tip?  (Read 1529 times)

• Liked: 0
What is your best tip?
« on: February 12, 2004, 09:35:59 PM »
Hello All! I am designing a website that will organise and promote time-saving cooking/food preparation tips for busy people, who don't really like to cook. I thought this might make an interesting discussion.

My 4 months in the UK as a student again (aka VERY limited income) plus all the new british ways of preparing food (In particular, Beans on Toast and Frozen Aromatic Duck) have inspired the site. :). It seems like its a lot more expensive to eat out here than it is in the US, so I've eating at home almost all the time.

I am now asking for help from all my fellow UK-Yankees. What is your best tip for eating Cheap, Healthy, Easy (doesn't require alot of culinary skill) Fast (which includes not dirting alot of dishes, because its annoying to do the washing up without a dishwasher or double sink!) and Filling/Fun.

I would really appreciate your tips. What do you tell your friends back in the US. I, for one, think that Electric Kettles would go over great in the US! I'm definately taking mine with me when I go back!
If you would like more info about the website, visit www.CHEFFtips.com [nofollow] (but be warned it is in the VERY begining stages of development) or e-mail me. Thanks!

Re: What is your best tip?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 10:45:56 PM »
No need to bring your electric kettle over.. we have them here now.  :)

As for the rest of the post, sorry I can't be of help.  I tended to stick with fried egg sandwiches, indian, and cereal ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:57:26 PM »
Actually, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Fried Egg sandwhiches are cheap, quick, you usually have bread and an egg in the fridge and filling. Probably not too healthy - but better than fast food anyway. Thanks!

Glad to hear about the electric kettles.

• Back again
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 09:25:06 AM »
I have asked my husband to help with this request. He says he has the perfect dish in mind that is quick, cheap, filling, and tastes great.

He calls it Pauper's Pizza

Take a piece of lightly toasted bread spread with butter (he says let the bread cool a little bit before you spread the butter on!) and place a piece of packaged ham on the toast. Pour on a small tin of heated Heinz spaghetti. Grate a little cheddar cheese on top, and sprinkle with pepper. Quick, easy, cheap and healthy.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 09:33:16 AM »
Ooh I've got tons of them.  :)

Hoops on toast - very filling, and cheap, cheap, cheap.

Creamed beef on mash - brown mince, add 1 clove of garlic, finely choped, 1/2 onion, finely chopped and sliced mushrooms (optional).  Once this is all nicely browned, add two cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup and about 100g of cream fraiche (or sour cream in the US).  Serve over potato mash or even toast.  Yum!

Toad-in-the-hole - sausages are very cheap!  There are recipes for this all over the place.

I'll have to think of some more.  Great idea for a sight tho!  :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 11:20:40 AM »
Toad-in-the-hole - sausages are very cheap!  There are recipes for this all over the place.

Including on the back of the Bisquick box!   ;)  I just made this for the first time last weekend - and it was a hit!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• My little cutie
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 03:34:37 PM »
there are several noodle mixes out now that are very filling and cheap and easy just need a dash of milk, water and butter.

of course there is always soups and mac and cheese

Glenns fav from Uni is ramen type noodles with canned hot dogs cut up in it (and actually this is not that bad for a quick cheap lunch/dinner)

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 03:55:04 PM »
I buy the dead cheap rice and pasta mixes from Lidl (mexican, curry, vegetable, pomodoro, mushroom, etc.) and then just toss in cans of tuna or diced bacon/ham or mince and frozen mixed veggies.  Filling and rather cheap!  And you can have "the same thing" all week without having "the same thing," if you know what I mean...

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 04:11:30 PM »
Sorry to hijack a bit but can you buy Bisquick in the UK?
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 04:23:40 PM »
YES!  ;D ;D ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 05:08:24 PM »
Only it's in slightly smaller boxes, they charge you more for it, and it doesn't have a recipe for biscuits on it.  :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:08:32 PM by wishstar »

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 05:31:33 PM »
True, true - but I have two Bisquick cookbooks from Betty Crocker that were my cooking bibles when I first moved here!  Seemed like everything I made for the first 4 months or so had Bisquick as an ingredient!  Including a wonderful beer cheese soup.  And now I make my sausage gravy "from scratch" so to speak and I never did before.

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 05:49:50 PM »
Ooo, I thought of another one that Hamish just *loves*.

Chicken and Rice
(feeds 3-4 mouths)
8 Chicken Drumsticks (cheap!) or any other mix of chicken portions you like
2 tbsp butter, melted
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (can use garlic salt if you prefer it)
juice from 1/2 lemon
Paprika
Parsley (dried)
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups rice (I use basmati)
2 Chicken oxo cubes
3 cups water

Preheat oven to 200C.

Wash all chicken portions and remove skin if desired.  Place in casarole dish.  

Combine melted butter, garlic (or salt), and lemon in a small dish.  Spoon over chicken.  Sprinkle chicken with paprika liberally, and then do the same with parsley.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Place in oven.

Next, rinse rice in cold water and drain well.  Mix Oxo cubes with water until disolved.  Combine stock and rice in saucepan and bring to boil.  Stir, reduce heat and cover until water is absorbed and rice is tender.  (About 10 minutes for quick cook rice).

Remove chicken from pan and place on a plate.  Add rice to pan and stir well to absorb all the lovely chicken juice and seasoning.  Place chicken back on the rice and return to oven.  Cook for 30 minutes or so more until chicken juices run clear and rice is somewhat crunchy on top.

Enjoy!  

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 05:57:53 PM »
I also cook a lot of stuff I find on the Campbell's soup cans or in my Campbell's soup cookbook.  Let me loose with a can of cream of tomato or cream of mushroom and look out!  ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 06:57:49 PM »
Day old French bread or even toast, tinned spaghetti sauce, cheese of choice and any fresh bit of veggies small dice or stir fry a few seconds, left over bits of meat.  Take bread cover lightly with sauce, plop on the veggies/meat, cover with cheese broil that sucker and poof you have instant pizza.  Works great with bits of Pita Bread or Naan too.

Um....
Boil spinach pasta and toss with hot peppers flakes, tuna in olive oil, salt and pepper and a good strong olive oil. Pine nuts or walnuts can be added for texture.

um..
A few cans on chicken broth or what ever broth makes you happy. Dice a few carrots, celery a bit of onion or garlic.  Boil for a few seconds.  Throw in whatever little soup pasta  you have on hand.  poof almost home made chicken soup.  I have also been known to add a can of white beans rinsed, a few leaves of fresh spinach and fresh mushrooms too.  You can make this a hearty stew type thing with chunckier veggies or with a small dice of the first three it's like tinned soup.

um...

Salads are always easy... like blue cheese and steak on top of whatever greens you want. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

um..

Pound a few chicken breasts flat or not... Saute with salt, pepper, garlic in a bit of olive oil (can you tell I use almost no other oil!) when they are about done squeeze on a bit of lemon to taste.  You can use white wine too or Marsala.  Another easy thing is to take the pounded chicken and dust it lightly with flour.  Brown it and once it is cooked through add your wine.  It makes a nice bit of sauce to serve over rice.  Capers add zip too.  This can also be used for veal.

um..

well I have a bunch but that's a start.  ;D

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab