Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410702 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4680 on: January 19, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
Happy Friday!

Have fun albatross. Jealous!!!

Yay for good job market and sleep KFDancer!

Jfkimberly, yay meatloaf!!

Nan, very intrigued about your hydroponic system and what you're going to be doing?

1.) Bottling beer this weekend

2.) Hopefully ordering a bunch of vegetable seeds for the upcoming season

3.) Yay payday!!

4.) Work is manic

5.) Slept pretty awful last night, so looking forward to an early night
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4681 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
Nan, your brisket sounds amazing, and I love the idea of putting it on tortillas, sprinkled with cheese!  I must try this.  But tell me more about your Vietnamese chili sauce.  Where did you get it?  What's it called?  Is it hot enough to justify calling it chili sauce?

I have been interested in hydroponic gardening since my first visit to Epcot Center in 1980-something.  I don't know why I've never done it. (Probably because putting seeds into dirt outside is much cheaper to get started... but there are limitations with that.)

JF - the trying black pudding reminds me of lunch I had with a pal yesterday.  Next year she turns 40 and she's making a list of 40 things to do in her 40th year.  We had fun going through her list.  I've done most.  Then we went through my "UK Bucket List" and she's done most.  Lol!  I'm loving her idea and may do it myself when I turn 40 in many MANY years... okay 2.5 years.   ;D

Ahhh!  I've been wondering your age, since your husband just turned 40, but your kids are so young.

Maybe I should make a bucket-list.  But I'm more of a I-just-thought-of-this-so-let's-go-do-it-right-now kind of person, and I've already done everything I can think of, so far.  (I'm open to suggestions!)  What's on your list?  *takes notes*

PB, what will you be growing?

If I did get a garden started (greenhouse and/or hydroponic setup), I would grow various chilies, heirloom tomatoes, and the herbs we use most (basil, thyme, rosemary, coriander, Mexican oregano)... and that's it.  Honest.  Absolutely nothing else.  *innocent*  Oh.  But also garlic.  And I want to find a patch of garden to grow potatoes, too.  And horseradish.

Geez.  I've just talked myself into gardening.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4682 on: January 19, 2018, 04:20:37 PM »
I grow loads. I have an allotment, plus 10 raised beds at my house, a greenhouse, tons of pots and grow bags.  So I will grow everything I can.

I did hydroponic tomatoes last year in the greenhouse.  The solar quadgrow was awesome http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/solar-hydro-quadgrow.html and I got my best yields of tomatoes ever. 

But I didn't get much luck with the vivigrow, (http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/vivigrow-hydrogrow-nft.html)  but that was probably more my learning curve than the system itself. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4683 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
I grow loads. I have an allotment, plus 10 raised beds at my house, a greenhouse, tons of pots and grow bags.  So I will grow everything I can.

I did hydroponic tomatoes last year in the greenhouse.  The solar quadgrow was awesome http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/solar-hydro-quadgrow.html and I got my best yields of tomatoes ever. 

But I didn't get much luck with the vivigrow, (http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/vivigrow-hydrogrow-nft.html)  but that was probably more my learning curve than the system itself.

Hrm.... I need a greenhouse... hehe  I really need to grow tomatoes, if nothing else.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4684 on: January 20, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
Ohhh, to have space to have a real veg garden! The allotments here have 8 year waiting lists.  :(  I very much miss that.

In the previous incarnation I had a small plot of ground on a (for all intents) vacant lot, that I puttered in. Onions grew well there, but not a lot else. I lived in an apartment with a large patio/balcony area, so I was able to set up a rain-gutters and 5 gallon bucket system that worked really well. I also had a tank of tropical fish, so weekly I would empty most of the tank water into a bucket that was set up on a stand and connected to the rain gutters by plastic aquarium tubing. (The plants seemed to enjoy the nutrients.) I put float valves in each of the gutters as well, so the plants could drink when they wished. I set bricks along the sides of the gutters (the tops of the bricks were flush with the top of the gutters) and on that I was able to sit the 5 gallon buckets. Each bucket had a two-inch hole in the bottom, into which I put absorbent material - old wash cloths, wads of paper towels, etc. - before I added a good potting mix to the buckets.  The absorbent was long enough to reach to the bottom of the gutter. Once the soil was thoroughly damp from adding water at the top, the capillary action would bring up moisture through the absorbent material.

It was dreadfully hot there (it was along a south-facing wall), and had very low humidity most of the summer, so keeping the system charged up with water meant filling that 5 gallon water feeder bucket most mornings, and sometimes several times a day - especially when the tomatoes had got over 6 feet tall and had a lot of leaves. I tried to keep the 'maters' buckets at least three feet from each other, so on the trough in between them I had gallon milk jugs done the same way, and had peppers in them. The round tomato cages fit nicely in the buckets, too, so I was able to keep the garden neat enough to not annoy  the landlord.

On one trough I used smaller pots and had quite a nice selection of various mints, which appreciated the shadier areas. I had watercress in one trough last year, and it did well. It had to sit down in the trough itself to stay saturated, but we had cress every few days as a garnish that way. I had saran wrap covering any part of the trough that didn't have a plant on it, to keep the evaporation down.

Some of my tomato plants lived and bore fruit for three years, until we had a particularly brutal infestation of hornworms while I was away on vacation. Typically we had families of small birds that would nest in some geraniums I also had out there, and who would dine on anything that tried to eat the garden, but for some reason they didn't seem to be around at that point. Stripped to the stems (sigh). I hate hornworms, but the birds that showed up shortly after that point took care of them for us. (Could have put a saddle on some of those bad boys. Nasty bugs!) 

We were prepping to move, so I gave the system away to someone who sheltered small animals for a rescue society, so they could grow nice greens for the critters. I hope she was able to set it up: getting the floats properly set was a little fiddly.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space (or climate) outside to do that here, so we're going to try a very cut-down version here in the kitchen. I have not decided if I'm going to go full hydroponic, or use the soil method again. I have ordered a grow light, since there's no way the plants will do well at this time of year, otherwise. And the garden is going to be only a couple of pepper plants, some tomatoes, and my currently-pathetic pots of cilantro and parsley  that are screaming for more light.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:00:26 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #4685 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
Nan, your brisket sounds amazing, and I love the idea of putting it on tortillas, sprinkled with cheese!  I must try this.  But tell me more about your Vietnamese chili sauce.  Where did you get it?  What's it called?  Is it hot enough to justify calling it chili sauce?

On the Brisket in Ale - it's:

a kilo of brisket, trimmed of fat
one very large onion, sliced very thin
one tablespoon (or one good clove, smashed) garlic
one quarter cup Huy Fong Foods Chili Garlic Sauce (ordered through Vitacost, nice heat - not sure if it's available on Dobbie's Loan here in Glasgow or not - need to check)
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn black pepper
1/2 tspn crushed thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 bottle Innis and Gunn Original (Bourbon aged) ale

You slice and put the onions in the cooker, then the whole brisket, then all the rest (which you will have mixed together) goes over it.  Cook overnight until it's falling-apart tender. Strain well, and wrap in a flour tortilla. I put about 1/4 cup of Cathedral Cheddar in mine before wrapping, the Daughter likes more cheese.

Speaking of, Vitacost has a 20% off food sale on now (code FLASHFOOD). I think it ends later today. Shipping is 11.95 flat for up to 3.5 pounds of stuff, and $1.80 for every pound over. If you need a lot of lightweight stuff (tea, spices, etc.) this is a good time to get an account with them and ship some noms over.  Their website is from the stone age, but they do have a lot of good stuff for cheaper (even with shipping) than you can get it here - and you can get some stuff you cannot get here.  :)  I just ordered two more bottles of the chili sauce, as they don't always have everything in stock all the time and I don't want to run out! They also carry some Herdez products.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:57:44 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4686 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
Hrm.... I need a greenhouse... hehe  I really need to grow tomatoes, if nothing else.

You can get little poly tomato growhouses for not much at all.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4687 on: January 20, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
They also carry some Herdez products.  ;D

Do they stock the Herdez chilli & avocado sauce?
I've been waiting for this on backorder through Mex Grocer for AGES!  :(

« Reply #4688 on: January 20, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4689 on: January 20, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »

Ahhh!  I've been wondering your age, since your husband just turned 40, but your kids are so young.

Maybe I should make a bucket-list.  But I'm more of a I-just-thought-of-this-so-let's-go-do-it-right-now kind of person, and I've already done everything I can think of, so far.  (I'm open to suggestions!)  What's on your list?  *takes notes*

Oooo, don't let my husband hear you.  He's not 40 until the end of May!  Lol!

I'm 37.  A very young and immature 37.   ;D

My friend's list includes:
eating an oyster
drinking a Guiness
going to Ireland
driving an 18 wheeler (she's wanted to do this for years.  I always think of her when I pass the 18 wheeler driving school when in Florida).  I have not done this.  ;)

hmmm...  I'll let you know what else when I think of it.

My UK bucket list:
Wimbledon (also on my friend's 40 things in 40 list so we're going to do that together)
Tea at the Ritz (I'd like to do the Christmas tea)
Royal Ascot in the Royal Enclosure (think this is going to happen this year)
Attend the Royal Variety Show
Attend the Brit Awards
Attend the Proms
Climb Big Ben (closed for a few years sadly)
Attend Ceremony of the Keys at Tower Bridge
Visit Cornwall
Visit Snowdonia
Visit the Lake District

What would be on your list?

« Reply #4690 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »
Oooo, don't let my husband hear you.  He's not 40 until the end of May!  Lol!

Ooh!  Your husband is only a couple of weeks older than mine!  Mine turns 40 in the early part of June.  I am not planning an epic holiday for him.  Actually, I don't know what I'm doing for him yet.  I know he'd prefer something laid-back, involving as few people and effort as possible.  But it's in the same week that we celebrate our 5th anniversary, and it will officially mark 5 years since FLR (M), so it really needs celebrating.

I'm 37.  A very young and immature 37.   ;D

That's the best kind of 37 to be.  I, on the other hand, am a very old (yet immature) 44.

My friend's list includes:
eating an oyster
drinking a Guiness
going to Ireland
driving an 18 wheeler (she's wanted to do this for years.  I always think of her when I pass the 18 wheeler driving school when in Florida).  I have not done this.  ;)

hmmm...  I'll let you know what else when I think of it.

My UK bucket list:
Wimbledon (also on my friend's 40 things in 40 list so we're going to do that together)
Tea at the Ritz (I'd like to do the Christmas tea)
Royal Ascot in the Royal Enclosure (think this is going to happen this year)
Attend the Royal Variety Show
Attend the Brit Awards
Attend the Proms
Climb Big Ben (closed for a few years sadly)
Attend Ceremony of the Keys at Tower Bridge
Visit Cornwall
Visit Snowdonia
Visit the Lake District

When I was traveling the US a lot, I visited some friends who ran a company that made "trailer jockeys"... they're smaller and more maneuverable vehicles  (than semi trucks) for moving tractor-trailer trailers around on distribution sites.  I got a chance to drive one of those around their lot.  I used to have a terrible picture of me doing it somewhere.  But that's not quite the same as driving an 18-wheeler, is it?

My husband has wanted to stay at Claridges since before I knew him.  If we did tea, it would most likely be there.

If you're not trying to do Last Night at the Proms, isn't it pretty easy to get tickets?  I thought Last Night was the only really difficult one.

We spent our "honeymoon" in the Lake District!  And we took a leisurely route home after and spent a couple of days in Snowdonia.  Both are beautiful.  The Lake District has more stuff to do, but if you're into hiking and enjoying vast scenery, Snowdonia is lovely.  And I'm a child, so I was really sad that we didn't get a chance to ride the train up Mount Snowdon.
What would be on your list?

A long weekend stay at Claridges (mostly to treat my husband... this is not in our budget 'til we have done little things like render the outside of our house and built a kitchen, etc.).

A trip similar to what Steve Coogin and Rob Brydon do in their series.  Just travel a picturesque area eating at fine restaurants and taking in the view.

I've done most of the things I could think of that I'd want to do...

When my husband is home and we're talking about the future, it's mostly plans for fixing our house up.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4691 on: January 22, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »
Nan, that system sounds brilliant. I hope you can get a nice wee system running up in your flat  :)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4692 on: January 22, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »
Ooh!  Your husband is only a couple of weeks older than mine!  Mine turns 40 in the early part of June.  I am not planning an epic holiday for him.  Actually, I don't know what I'm doing for him yet.  I know he'd prefer something laid-back, involving as few people and effort as possible.  But it's in the same week that we celebrate our 5th anniversary, and it will officially mark 5 years since FLR (M), so it really needs celebrating.

Ours won't be an epic holiday.  Our honeymoon was epic...  (Africa).

I think we are making progress.  He seems to be interested in Croatia finally. 

And I totally get the list for the house.  That's been us the last couple of years.  This year's major project is the fence.  For a house that doesn't have a big garden, we sure do own a lot of fencing.  Great news is we just got a quote to replace and it's about 20% of what we had budgeted!  lol.  I love it when it's way less than you thought - that never happens!

I do have to roll my eyes at my husband though.  He said we'll pay someone for the fence as the quote was so manageable.  But that if we didn't have the kids, he'd do it himself, as he likes a project.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking he could paint the ceilings we had done in the bathroom, foyer, or downstairs loo if he wanted a project.....  Or figure out why the carpet in the garage is soaking wet...  or patch the hole in the landing ceiling....  or a whole host of other unfinished projects!!

« Reply #4693 on: January 22, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »
Ours won't be an epic holiday.  Our honeymoon was epic...  (Africa).

I think we are making progress.  He seems to be interested in Croatia finally. 

And I totally get the list for the house.  That's been us the last couple of years.  This year's major project is the fence.  For a house that doesn't have a big garden, we sure do own a lot of fencing.  Great news is we just got a quote to replace and it's about 20% of what we had budgeted!  lol.  I love it when it's way less than you thought - that never happens!

I do have to roll my eyes at my husband though.  He said we'll pay someone for the fence as the quote was so manageable.  But that if we didn't have the kids, he'd do it himself, as he likes a project.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking he could paint the ceilings we had done in the bathroom, foyer, or downstairs loo if he wanted a project.....  Or figure out why the carpet in the garage is soaking wet...  or patch the hole in the landing ceiling....  or a whole host of other unfinished projects!!

What your husband means to say is that he loves a fun new project that doesn't sound tedious, and those jobs all sound tedious.  :P

But the soaking wet carpet in the garage should really be looked into sooner rather than later.  Water where it shouldn't be is rarely a good sign.  And the longer it stays there, the worse the problem becomes.  The rest of those projects sound cosmetic and can wait for as long as you're okay with looking at them.  But fix the leak.  You can use the remaining 80% of your fence budget!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4694 on: January 22, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
Definitely fix the leak.

My hubby has it in his head that he wants to paint a feature wall. But actually what I know will happen is he will paint a feature wall and then hate the colours of the rest of the walls and decide to paint them all. Which means, I will be roped in. And I can't be arsed with that.  His Mum is just like that too, constantly changing the wall colours.  His Mother's son!
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links