Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 407974 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4695 on: January 22, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »
Definitely fix the leak.

My hubby has it in his head that he wants to paint a feature wall. But actually what I know will happen is he will paint a feature wall and then hate the colours of the rest of the walls and decide to paint them all. Which means, I will be roped in. And I can't be arsed with that.  His Mum is just like that too, constantly changing the wall colours.  His Mother's son!

Just put it in writing and make him sign to acknowledge it:

"I, (state your husband's name),  will paint an accent wall in (specify room).  However, I will not hold you, (state your name), responsible for any aspect of this project, and should I decide to extend this project to include additional walls, I will be solely responsible for completing this task and all cleanup at the end.  I will leave the room in equal or better condition to how it started.

Signed: _______
Dated:_________"
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4696 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:45 PM »
What your husband means to say is that he loves a fun new project that doesn't sound tedious, and those jobs all sound tedious.  :P

But the soaking wet carpet in the garage should really be looked into sooner rather than later.  Water where it shouldn't be is rarely a good sign.  And the longer it stays there, the worse the problem becomes.  The rest of those projects sound cosmetic and can wait for as long as you're okay with looking at them.  But fix the leak.  You can use the remaining 80% of your fence budget!

We’ve only noticed the water in the past week but yes, needs immediate attention.  It must be coming from the door somehow.  Luckily my dad taught me the soapy water trick!

« Reply #4697 on: January 22, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
Definitely fix the leak.

My hubby has it in his head that he wants to paint a feature wall. But actually what I know will happen is he will paint a feature wall and then hate the colours of the rest of the walls and decide to paint them all. Which means, I will be roped in. And I can't be arsed with that.  His Mum is just like that too, constantly changing the wall colours.  His Mother's son!

My in laws paint every room the same “light lemon yellow” and “white gloss” the trim.  The white gloss turns yellow faster than a banana turns brown.   ::)  Thankfully I’ve successfully introduced my husband to water based paint.

« Reply #4698 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
I think that 'light lemon yellow' is a good descriptor for the colour of the house we rented.  We left the bathroom the beige colour and the bedroom the stone colour we chose to live with when we moved out, but we left the rest of the house that yellowy off-white colour, and even touched it up to refresh it since it hadn't been painted in many years (and it showed).

The lighting always seemed so muted, and photos came out very yellow in that house, between the yellow walls and the CFL bulbs that take forever to warm up.  (LED bulbs are the future!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:44:09 PM by jfkimberly »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #4699 on: January 22, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »
My in laws paint every room the same “light lemon yellow” and “white gloss” the trim.  The white gloss turns yellow faster than a banana turns brown.   ::)  Thankfully I’ve successfully introduced my husband to water based paint.

Ewwww!!!! 

We've got a light grey right now, hubs wants to paint a feature wall a dark purple colour- but keep mentioning a darker grey colour.  It would look great (I think he's been having way too much fun designing a high end cafe/shop lately that he wants to spread his designer skills all over our house) but I just can't be arsed. LOL!  I told him anyways, there is a good chance I will turn the guinea pigs purple if he lets me paint.

So this is a great suggestion:
Just put it in writing and make him sign to acknowledge it:

"I, (state your husband's name),  will paint an accent wall in (specify room).  However, I will not hold you, (state your name), responsible for any aspect of this project, and should I decide to extend this project to include additional walls, I will be solely responsible for completing this task and all cleanup at the end.  I will leave the room in equal or better condition to how it started.

Signed: _______
Dated:_________"
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #4700 on: January 22, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
5. Ordered my grow light for my gonna-be hydroponic garden and got it on a good sale. It should arrive late next week and then I can plant my peppers. Might start my Cosmonaut Volkoff tomatoes, too.

Nan, do you already know about this place?  http://www.westendhydroponics.co.uk/

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4701 on: January 23, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Digression,but just reminded me of a funny conversation I had the other day with my sister.

Background: So there is lots of debate in the USA about whether or not hydroponic growing can be considered organic.
 I believe it's already not considered organic in the EU,yet hydroponic systems can really reduce a lot of water consumption for water heavy crops. And in many places where it's cold, growing in other mediums can be much more environmentally friendly. 
We as a world want our produce fresh and year round, so it raises interesting debates all around.

Anyways, my sister works for NOFA. At their local conference the hydroponic debate wasn't even about veggies anymore, but about other things that can now be legally grown in that state to smoke are pretty much all grown hydroponically. And therefore, this now is ruining all the trade for the local farmers (because it can be grown cheaper in big farms in California hydroponically). 

You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4702 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:41 AM »
Happy Friday

1.) Meeting with new boss this morning.  Trying to stay positive, but feels a bit foreboding.   ???

2.) Guess what?  We're picking up tins of paint tonight to make a feature wall.... It will look good, but I am not looking forward to the work :-\\\\

3.) Eye Exam tonight after work...  I really know how to party on a Friday night!

4.) Booked tickets for a wee trip to the USA for June.   

5.) Need more coffee. Slept like ass last night.  Probably because of bullet point 1. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4703 on: January 26, 2018, 09:53:56 AM »
Happy Friday

1.) Meeting with new boss this morning.  Trying to stay positive, but feels a bit foreboding.   ???

2.) Guess what?  We're picking up tins of paint tonight to make a feature wall.... It will look good, but I am not looking forward to the work :-\\\\

3.) Eye Exam tonight after work...  I really know how to party on a Friday night!

4.) Booked tickets for a wee trip to the USA for June.   

5.) Need more coffee. Slept like ass last night.  Probably because of bullet point 1.

Good luck with the boss.  Keep us posted.

And you know we need before and after pics of the feature wall.   :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4704 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8[/youtube]
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4705 on: January 26, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
That's mysterious...

« Reply #4706 on: January 26, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »

Did you get him to sign that release?  You are not responsible!  He is solely responsible!  If you agreed to help with the feature wall, get it in writing that you're not doing any more than that!

1. My husband comes home tonight!

2. He submitted some completed forms for background checks and things two weekends ago, and this week they asked for more information so they could do a Scottish criminal background check as well.  We're still in consideration!  So maybe my #1 slot won't be the fact that my husband is coming home for very much longer.

3. We were just reminded that he has a week of holiday booked starting 3 February.  So one more week of work after this weekend, then a week off... and, hopefully, he'll never have to go back!

4.  The clutch cable snapped in our primary vehicle (the one my husband uses to get back and forth to Salisbury in) two weekends ago when he was driving home.  AA came out and put in a "universal" one to get him moving enough so he could get home, and then he had a proper one fit by our mechanic near Salisbury last week.  But for some reason, the proper one was "miles" too long and they ended up having to cut it and, well, it was worse than the "universal" one.  This week, my husband ordered the cable online and they tried again, and now our vehicle is back in good form.  We rely on that thing so much, it's been a bit stressful to think it might be out of commission.

5. Noms!  Last week's ravioli was our best yet, and I learned that black pudding is not quite as savoury as I expected (I'm a little disappointed, I gotta admit).  We're going into this week with a bunch of ingredients, but no specific plan for our Saturday cook (Mexican platter night is officially on Sundays now)... We're treating Saturday as a Masterchef Invention Test.  Fun time noms!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4707 on: January 26, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »
Tonight is Star Trek night, I'll have to buy some chocolate to eat while watching some guy get his bones crunched by a klingon

Sunday is my boy's birthday party, that means I've got to take them swimming

As per birthday protocol, chocolate fountain happening on Sunday

Got my new ultra cool transmitter for my drone, of course it doesn't work.  When you are going to buy something drone related and are doing research it's like "piece of cake, of course those will work together".  After you've bought it, it's all "some of those just don't work, hard to tell which "

« Reply #4708 on: January 26, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
Got my new ultra cool transmitter for my drone, of course it doesn't work.  When you are going to buy something drone related and are doing research it's like "piece of cake, of course those will work together".  After you've bought it, it's all "some of those just don't work, hard to tell which "

Does it respond at all?  Maybe it's just on the wrong frequency setting.  Can you change frequencies?

« Reply #4709 on: January 26, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
1. Had an interview today.  It will be very memorable for the interviewers.  I put my foot in my mouth a LOT.  And I described myself as a goat.  A GOAT people.  <sigh>  I won’t see them again (confirmed).

2.  I thought my food order was coming today.  Turns out it’s tomorrow.   ::)

3.  The baby woke last night but only once.  I can handle that!

4.  I think we are getting somewhere with our holiday in May.  Croatia is in the lead.  Still wish I could convince my husband to do the surprise holiday.

5.  I can’t do anymore interviews people.  I just can’t.   :\\\'(

Sponsored Links