Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 407932 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4740 on: February 09, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
Happy Friday!

1.) Well the feature wall does look really good. J's got more paint to continue with other walls to 'spruce them up'.   I've wriggled my way out of it for the most part, except for being a necessary grunt to help shift stuff. I'm okay with that plan!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2.) Taking a P6 class around work today to show them what we do and get them thinking about careers. Hopefully to inspire some future engineers!  [smiley=smart.gif]

3.) This week has seemed to have flown by.  2018 barrelling ahead at full steam. Mmm only 319 days until Christmas, lol.   ;D

4.) Needing to put in a bit of trombone practise this weekend. [smiley=smash.gif]

5.) Looks like a week of snow and sleet forecast. Brrrrrrr......   [smiley=dozey.gif]

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:39:04 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #4741 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »

So meanwhile, I'm doing this and one of my sister's come across a map from my hometown from 1877 and we can clearly see our house that we grew up in on it.  I found another one from 1892 and it's confirmed that it's our house, because of the added architectural features that clearly identify it as our house. 
So, we know there was a family that lived there from the 1920s-1980 and our family took it over.  But we don't know the history before hand. A newspaper was found in the walls from the 1860s? (around this time period) at one point.
I'm trying to look through the Massachusetts census records, but these ones you have to pay for and request, so it's so annoying. I want to go and pull out the microfiche in the local library from my hometown and see what I can find on the house now.

Not sure I can help, but... I have a subscription to Ancestry.com that covers the USA. There are a lot of census reports on it. If you want to PM me the particulars (address?) I can check to see if they have anything.  8)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4742 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
1.  My husband has been off this week, so I get to use #1 to say that instead!

2.  This week, we have eaten meatballs in tomato sauce, braised shin of beef, cabbage and potatoes with sausage, fillet steak, Mexican platter, pork fillet with apples and mustard sauce, burritos (bean and cheese), crepes, egg nog, ... all the tasty noms!

3.  Latest news is that the dbs check has finished according to an email from my husband's potential employer, but the online status of his application does not have any update... still waiting.

4.  We tried to fix some leaky bits on the workshop roof earlier this week, but now the spots leak even worse than before.  We may need a new roof.  But that's at the end of a very long list...

5.  We discovered a newt making its way up the wall of our house outside the back door last night.  My husband asked "do we have lizards in Great Britain?"  ...where he was born and raised.  I think that makes me officially integrated.  He said "we"!

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4743 on: February 09, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
It's been quiet here with your husband home this week JF!

Glad the wall turned out well PB!

1.  Today is my last Friday on maternity leave with both kiddos.  Baby starts nursery next week while I have a few days to get some things done.

2.  I couldn't get into the spa next week due to stinking Valentine's Day.  I'm so annoyed.  Hoping for a cancellation!

3.  I've had a blocked ear for the last 6 weeks.  Been to the quacks about it 3 times.  I've finally decided to break down and pay £60 to have it cleaned.  I have never paid so much for medical care in my life than since I moved to the UK!  I really want to love the NHS.  But nothing I need is covered!  lol.

4.  My daughter's first dance recital is on Sunday... do we think she'll actually go onstage and dance?  50/50 odds in this house right now!

5.  I'm pressure washing outside this weekend.  Woo hoo!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4744 on: February 09, 2018, 11:24:55 AM »
Why couldn't the doctors sort your ear out and why do you have to Pay £60 to get it sorted after seeing them? 
I frequently get blocked ears and I think once an NHS nurse cleared it with a turkey baster for me. 
Once in America a pyscho doctor did it with a water pik on the highest setting!  Gave me PTSD and I tasted wax in my mouth for a week.
These days I just have a big bulb thing and give it a shot every few  months.  Have you tried DIY?

« Reply #4745 on: February 09, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
Why couldn't the doctors sort your ear out and why do you have to Pay £60 to get it sorted after seeing them? 
I frequently get blocked ears and I think once an NHS nurse cleared it with a turkey baster for me. 
Once in America a pyscho doctor did it with a water pik on the highest setting!  Gave me PTSD and I tasted wax in my mouth for a week.
These days I just have a big bulb thing and give it a shot every few  months.  Have you tried DIY?

I'm on my fourth type of drops as well as oral antibiotics at this point.  My doctors no longer do ears.  You get referred to the hospital and it's a ONE YEAR wait.  Seriously, I have the worst luck.  Everything I need isn't covered!

I'm tempted to order a DIY kit from Amazon...

« Reply #4746 on: February 09, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
If there's antibiotics involved then maybe don't take my advice, but there's nothing better than flushing out your ears.  Last time I could hear everything!  I swear I heard JF KIMBERLEY'S mouse.

« Reply #4747 on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
If there's antibiotics involved then maybe don't take my advice, but there's nothing better than flushing out your ears.  Last time I could hear everything!  I swear I heard JF KIMBERLEY'S mouse.

They did the course to rule out infection causing problems.  At least it’s getting sorted.  I’m sure I won’t care about the money once I can hear again.

It’s definitely time to stop putting stuff IN my ears in an attempt to clear them.  Lol!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #4748 on: February 09, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »
When I get ear blockages it's from my Eustachian tubes being blocked. And they do not open to the outside of the eardrum, so there's nothing to put in my ears that would help. (Having had swimmer's ear, I know you can use drops to deal with that, but I haven't had that in years.)

I ~hate~ "the ear thing" - and I do deal with it a lot. Mainly self-medication with chips and hot sauce (which works surprisingly well).  But if I'm going to get a wonking bad cold, that's where it'll start. Ear tubes that drain into my throat and make it sore, that will then go to a snotfest, and then down to the lungs. It's so predictable. And annoying.  The Daughter is in the last throes of something similar. Just when you think you're getting over one bit, the next bit pops up.

And, aside from hot sauce, chicken soup, lots of fluids, and rest, there's not much to be done for it. It just sort of wastes a week or two that one can never get back.   :(

• Liked: 66
« Reply #4749 on: February 09, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Happy Friday (FriYay? Anyone?)!

1. Today it's been exactly one week since we entered escrow to sell our condo in Los Angeles and it feels weird to know that I'll never be back in that place that was our first purchased home, where our rabbit was, where we lived for years together. I'm not missing it or longing for it...I just feel weird.

2. We've looked at a handful of properties here in London this week and have one that we really really really like and are hoping will be available in 2.5 weeks when we'll get the cash from our LA sale (provided everything goes as planned...oh please let it go as planned...).

3. I had a great spinning class this morning. I took the same class with the same teacher last week and this one was MUCH better. It was the best one of the week so far!

4. I'm meeting husband, one of his best friends and her 4 months old (husband's godson) for lunch in an hour. That should be fun.

5. Currently booking train tickets to go up to Cambridge on Sunday to meet the breeder we're hoping to get a dog from this year (and the dogs and new puppies, too).
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4750 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
I'm on my fourth type of drops as well as oral antibiotics at this point.  My doctors no longer do ears.  You get referred to the hospital and it's a ONE YEAR wait.  Seriously, I have the worst luck.  Everything I need isn't covered!

I'm tempted to order a DIY kit from Amazon...

You should suggest that they train up their nurses. They do the ear clearing at our surgery.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #4751 on: February 09, 2018, 02:44:10 PM »
Not sure I can help, but... I have a subscription to Ancestry.com that covers the USA. There are a lot of census reports on it. If you want to PM me the particulars (address?) I can check to see if they have anything.  8)

Thanks Nan! That's awesome.
Sending you a PM  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4752 on: February 09, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

It’s definitely time to stop putting stuff IN my ears in an attempt to clear them.  Lol!
I thought I've given some bad advice in my time, but don't put chips and hot sauce in your ears!  Nan has been drinking again.

« Reply #4753 on: February 09, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
You should suggest that they train up their nurses. They do the ear clearing at our surgery.

The nurses used to do it.  One of the million BILLION things no longer covered in my trust.

#6 best place to live in the UK, my tail!!!

« Reply #4754 on: February 09, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
Seriously, is this all about squinting water In your ear?  You can do that better than any nurse.  At least you'll know to stop when it really starts to hurt. 
Don't they sell the ear squirty things here?  Job done in 10 minutes.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab