Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410320 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #5130 on: May 18, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
Do you have plain fizzy water or the flavoured type? It's only bad for teeth if flavoured.

I'm sorry about the contract :( but I'm sure it's good you aren't stuck with a company willing to pull that!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

They told me it's the carbonation.  It's acid and I was drinking a giant glass while watching the news and then brushing my teeth straight away.  I'm still ok to drink plain sparkiling with dinner, and plain in front of the news.  I also bought an ice tray with smaller pieces of ice. 

« Reply #5131 on: May 18, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
I am so so sorry.  How did they F up so bad?  Was it the company?  The recruiter?  I am so so so sorry.

But bonus for Mr. and Mrs. Seahorse!

Consider yourself lucky escaping that crap.

It was the recruiter.  I don't believe the thing about the client rate, I'd bet he found someone cheaper so he would get a bigger cut.  That kind of thing happens in the contract market.  You just got to get back in and start playing the numbers game again. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5132 on: May 18, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
It was the recruiter.  I don't believe the thing about the client rate, I'd bet he found someone cheaper so he would get a bigger cut.  That kind of thing happens in the contract market.  You just got to get back in and start playing the numbers game again.

Jeezus. I'm fuming for you.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5133 on: May 18, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »

a**hole.

Yup, that sounds about right.  The client would have agreed the rate before the interview.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #5134 on: May 19, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
My Friday has been pretty sucky.  First thing I got a call from useless Agent telling me that the contract I signed ysterday had the wrong rate on it and they actually want to pay me A LOT less.  No thanks looser.  3 days wasted and one hot interview in a miserable place. 

I also went to the Dental Hygenist for the first time in 11 years.  She started off by giving me Two shots of novacaine!  Then she freaked out and gave me grief for drinking fizzy water and chewing ice, then did all kinds of horrible stuff to my teeth.  I'm being punished by having to go back in 3 months to ensure that I am flossing, which I hate, hate, hate.  I've got a mouth full of grit.  And I can't drink any more fizzy water during the news. 

Tonight is Star Trek Night, we've also got a massive Toblerone for desert.   

The wife is out of town and my girl is going trapezing saturday and sunday.  Whatever happened to kids just playing outdoors?  Mine has decided unless we are paying £25 she won't do any exercise.

Suit for breach of contract?

« Reply #5135 on: May 19, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »
Suit for breach of contract?
The contract has no notice required for them to terminate.  And the contract says you get paid for the time you work.  Also, to actually be a real contractor and not a disguised employee, there has to be no Mutaulity of Obligation (MOO).  In short, they are not promising to give me any amount of work and I am not obligated to always be available. 

Plus, it's just not the done thing.  I could have just as easily not shown up for work on the first morning. 

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5136 on: May 19, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
The contract has no notice required for them to terminate.  And the contract says you get paid for the time you work.  Also, to actually be a real contractor and not a disguised employee, there has to be no Mutaulity of Obligation (MOO).  In short, they are not promising to give me any amount of work and I am not obligated to always be available. 

Plus, it's just not the done thing.  I could have just as easily not shown up for work on the first morning.
What is the point of having a contract then?

These work contracts are foreign to me anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5137 on: May 25, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
Happy Friday!

1.  The hoops I jumped through to try and get some breakfast this morning, only to get into work and find someone has brought in doughnuts... hunners an hunners ae doughnuts!

2.  Been right into the Coconut Flat Whites from Costa lately. (Costa being the only proper coffee place in town)

3.  Going to the pictures on Sunday to see 'On Chesil Beach'... I read the book last year and it was stunning, so I hope the film lives up to it.

4.  Working on Bank Holiday Monday... we were given the option of either taking it off or being paid double-time, so I'm going for the latter, as I need to try to raise €300 by July.

5.  I've heard we've a new colleague starting in a couple of weeks, and he's an American.  Please, please God, don't let him be one of *those* types of American!   :-X
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:36:59 AM by Albatross »

« Reply #5138 on: May 25, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
Happy Friday!

5.  I've heard we've a new colleague starting in a couple of weeks, and he's an American.  Please, please God, don't let him be one of *those* types of American!   :-X

I laughed HARD at this.  I know exactly what you mean.   ;D

« Reply #5139 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »

I know that feeling as well.  At a previous job, a guy walked up to me and introduced himself as the other American.  It was so obvious, big guy, cargo pants, loud talker, Trump voter and Rush Limbaugh ditto head. 
The unusual thing was that I reserved judgement and just went ahead and hung out with him a bit.  Turns out that he's a really good guy and we have a lot in common and became great friends.  And good friends are not easy to find here.  We just don't talk about politics and I doublecheck all of his decisions because anyone who votes Trump can't really be trusted with picking a pub either....

« Reply #5140 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »

hahahaha this is excellent! I'm glad it's not just me that dreads *those* types of Americans!

1. It's a bank holiday! :D I feel like the last two weeks have just been non-stop and I'm ready for a coma right about now so pleased to have the extra day to relax (although I feel it's already shaping up to be busy!)

2. My task manager on my new project has given my line manager very positive feedback about my performance. Only been on this project for 2 months (the first month being only 50% allocated), and I was feeling totally lost and overwhelmed and assumed he might tell her that I'm not the right fit for this project, but he's actually said that I seem very keen and had only positives to say (so I'm pleased with that).

3. I got the water bill changed to add my name onto it....except I have to phone them again because we were on our way to Deadpool at the time so when they told me "we can only use 35 characters and if we do your husbands first initial and surname + your name, it's too long, do you want to just do your first and middle initial with your last name" I said "sure". So now I just need to call back (I HATE talking on the phone for the most part lol) and ask them to just put it fully in my name so I can use it for the LITUK test documentation.

4. Friends are coming over for a games and drinks night tonight! Our friend said his gf never wants to do anything and he thinks she's just being polite when she says she wants to have a games night so we don't think she's lame or something (which we wouldn't do), but SHE actually messaged us in our ongoing group chat yesterday to say "What are you guys doing Friday night? Want to have a games night?" so clearly she is being honest about enjoying it.

5. We've got to care for my niece's bunny while they are in Wales for the next week. it's not a big annoyance or anything, it's just one extra thing we have to remember to do lol Thankfully we aren't dog sitting as well as one of my other BIL's dogs won't leave it alone. At least my floofball isn't bothered by the bunny.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

Friday Five!
« Reply #5141 on: May 25, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
1.  Tomorrow is our last full day on holiday.   :\\\'(  Currently in the car on our way to Krka National Park.  Glad we have Monday off when we get home.

2.  We see my husband’s cousin on monday (who we adore) for the first time in a year and a half (she lives in australia now).  She’s dating an American and I’m excited to hear all about him.  It’ll be the first time she meets the baby - who is over a year!

3.  Husbands big 40th was Wednesday.  Baked him a delicious gluten free cake.  His card didn’t arrive in time so after all my questions on what to give him for his birthday, he got nothing.  He did get treated VERY well multiple times after the kids went to bed.     Ha ha!  TMI!

4.  We LOVE the outdoor fire oven thing at our villa and I’ve been questioning JF on her Uuni all week.  Our food tastes amazing with a light smokiness.  Funny how cooking isn’t a chore on holiday but a pleasurable experience.

5.  The owners of our villa are very nice but don’t speak much English.  They said they were going to bring by some fish for us on a Tuesday.  What time should they bring it.  We suggested 10am thinking we would be awake and in before going anywhere.  I woke Tuesday morning and my husband said “I hope you are in the mood for fish”.  The owners were cooking fish, roasting chicken and vegetables and baking fresh bread.  We sat down together and had a huge feast - at 10am!   

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:42:50 AM by KFdancer »

« Reply #5142 on: May 25, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »

He did get treated VERY well multiple times after the kids went to bed.   ;D  Ha ha!  TMI!

hahahahahahaha

You're right about how cooking just isn't really a chore when you're on holiday! I wonder why!?

Can I add a number 6 to my list? I can tell it's bank holiday friday because one of our suppliers is currently trying to guess my middle name via email letter by letter HAHA They might be my favourite supplier. One of them sends me dog pics and the other is now playing "guess the middle name".
My, how time flies....

« Reply #5143 on: May 25, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »

Can I add a number 6 to my list? I can tell it's bank holiday friday because one of our suppliers is currently trying to guess my middle name via email letter by letter HAHA They might be my favourite supplier. One of them sends me dog pics and the other is now playing "guess the middle name".

Just so long as the initial isn’t D.  Otherwise they may guess Dogs Lipstick!

« Reply #5144 on: May 25, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
Just so long as the initial isn’t D.  Otherwise they may guess Dogs Lipstick!

Can confirm, that's why I'm so secretive about my middle name..it's because *I* am actually *THE* Dog's lipstick! hahaha
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links