Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410913 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6150 on: October 12, 2018, 09:28:46 PM »
Yeah, they were good software packages for the tyke set.

I do hope I can get it working again after schlepping it around for thirty years.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6151 on: October 12, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
Come join us if you want. I think we have a few spaces left as we're trying to stay capped to around 20 on the whitelist.

Oh, we should definitely play some time!  We have the good internets, finally, so we can finally play on a level playing field (it was terrible playing on servers before).  If I saw your reply when you posted it, we would've sorted that out and joined you.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6152 on: October 13, 2018, 01:05:24 AM »
Oh, we should definitely play some time!  We have the good internets, finally, so we can finally play on a level playing field (it was terrible playing on servers before).  If I saw your reply when you posted it, we would've sorted that out and joined you.
Oh, I didn't mean specifically for the dragon fight. I just meant you should join us to play whenever. It's been good fun! Have you played since the update aquatic released?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #6153 on: October 13, 2018, 02:10:21 AM »
Oh, I didn't mean specifically for the dragon fight. I just meant you should join us to play whenever. It's been good fun! Have you played since the update aquatic released?

No..!  I've been wanting to check out all the new mobs.

Is it a survival server?  What do you guys do?  Eeee!  Minecraft!  It's been so long!

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6154 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:54 AM »
No..!  I've been wanting to check out all the new mobs.

Is it a survival server?  What do you guys do?  Eeee!  Minecraft!  It's been so long!
I'll ping you a PM so we're not clogging up this poor thread.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6155 on: October 19, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
Friday

1.) Another sh*t week at work [smiley=argue.gif]

2.) Making beer this weekend. Got a whole new pile of ingredients to play with.  [smiley=smitten.gif]

3.) It's super duper quiet in the office today. I'm not complaining at all. It's a very close open plan office, so having some peace and quiet is nice for a change. Might take a nap. HA.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

4.) Need to get the last of the spring bulbs into my garden. Weather was pretty crap last weekend and I had to work a bunch of it too, so hopefully both things cooperatethis weekend   [smiley=daisy.gif]

5.) I've been rehearsing Christmas music so I'm trying to blast other stuff into my ears so that I can get the bloody Christmas tunes out of my head.   [smiley=elf.gif] [smiley=end.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6156 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:31 AM »
1.   People at work are starting to notice my weight loss, and yesterday I comfortably wore a dress I haven’t worn for 5 months as it was feeling tight.
2.   OH is down in Bradford with pals, drinking proper ale and gobbling proper curries, so I’ve got the weekend to myself.
3.    Went to view a flat yesterday whose largest bedroom was so small, our super-king bed wouldn’t fit.  Disappointing.
4.   We’re getting Chinese food brought in for lunch, as it’s someone’s last day… can’t wait for my chicken noodle soup!
5.   Might go to see the new Halloween film, as I think it’s opening this weekend.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6157 on: October 19, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
Oh my. Christmas. It's in the stores bigtime now, too! The Daughter is miserable because there's no Halloween. That was our "big" holiday in the States - she would decorate the house up to an unbelievable extent. We used to have a lot of the foreign residents in our housing complex come by to take pictures of their children trick-or-treating at our place. The Chinese seemed to particularly love it. (-sigh - No trick-or-treating here. But we do have some pumpkins and things out around the house.) But all the Christmas hype (and music) before Halloween and then no Thanksgiving at all.... wah!  :-\\\\  The order of the universe is out of kilter! But good luck ignoring the Christmas Music. It's like earworms.

Friday Five -

1) No more job interview on Halloween. Which is ok, really. I'm not sure I wanted to work full-time. That is especially evident when I wake up early in the morning and shuffle out to get a cup of tea in the kitchen, and see the fallen leaves blowing by and people bundled up waiting for the bus. Being inside is very appealing on cold mornings. There have been predictions of a particularly harsh winter this year. A good time to be in the house, really, if it's an accurate picture. Not shuffling out eary to go to a dismal desk job.

2) All the paperwork is sent to Ireland re: the Daughter's citizenship ap. Not one of the "overnight" letters made it to us or to anywhere we sent it overnight. (Not sure about the last one, to Ireland, yet. It did leave the country yesterday and is supposed to be delivered today.) ParcelForce refunded the charges on item #1, still waiting on item #2, and trying to collect from FedEx on item #3 is probably impossible. So anyway, now we wait to see if it was worth all that insane running around at the last minute. I do hope they'll let us know, one way or the other, before Christmas. But I doubt it will happen.

3) My driving instructor can't seem to get my home phone to work. We are receiving calls from others, and both of our mobile phones get through, but he gets a message that it's not a valid number.  I sent him the Daughter's number (my phone is only on when we travel or in emergencies) and got a response he'd be in touch. Which he hasn't been.  I had to cancel my lesson this week  waiting for the FedEx from the USA, anyway. It's good I was home, because the FedEx came right about the same time as I would have been out terrorizing the other motorists on the road. However, I'm having heck getting in touch with D.I. again, and wonder if he really doesn't want me as a client? I know I've damned near given him heart failure a couple of times now.  ::)

4) Mad cow disease. So there's a case of BSE up in Aberdeenshire. That's not good. I've been looking at all my jars of canned beef stew ... but I'm thinking they're ok. This will not be good for beef exports from the UK though. Assuming they are not screwed up badly by Brexit anyway. It just keeps layering on, misfortune for this country. (As awful as BSE is, at least it is not of the country's own making.)

5) We are going to bundle up in a few and take a nice walk to our favorite tea shop. They have a lovely Yogi Chai and it's a nice place to just sit, relax, and chat.  The Daughter has a new job (part time) to start in about two weeks and is very excited about things going on with the Uni, and so I'm sure she'll want to talk about it all. It will be a nice afternoon. Maybe doing a little window-shopping on the way home. I think I'll take my camera, in case we walk through the Botanic Gardens. The trees there are just a riot of color, now.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6158 on: October 19, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »
Congrats on the weight loss!

1. Actually made it to therapy today. Hoping it helps.

2. Since I was already here I decided I'd try to see the Queen. Unsure how much longer i can stand in a crowd now that the sun is out. :(

3. British police are so fashionable! Definitely the snazziest I've seen.

4. Board games tonight with the local expats!

5. Have to weed the garden tomorrow since it's supposed to be sunny :)

***update: toughed it out a lil longer and saw the Queen! She did a big tour of the place but I was happy just to see the first part and head home. I feel like I'm earning my British cards, finally had Fish n Chips last week and saw a member of the monarchy in person.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:11:27 PM by margo »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6159 on: October 19, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
Good luck on the flat hunt Albatross!

Nan, do you not get any 'guisers' where you live?

Margo, good thoughts on the therapy.  Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6160 on: October 19, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
Good luck on the flat hunt Albatross!

Aw, thanks.. but I think I'm going to give up now.
Because of OH's 'issues' and our ages (maximum mortgage term), our search parameters are so narrow that it's almost a miracle when something comes up, and then so stressful trying to get Mr interested in having a look, without 'pressuring' him.  A 61-year old man-child.

Unless we somehow come into a large amount of money, I think we're screwed and doomed to live in our current rented flat forever.  I think I just need to concentrate on trying to make this place suit my needs better and forget about moving.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6161 on: October 19, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
Awesome that people are noticing your changing shape Albatross!

And PB, make the beer and drink the beer - that'll help.

Nan, sounds like two steps forward, one back this week for you!

Margo, saw your photo of the Queen on Facebook.  Fabulous shot!

1.  Work is INSANE.  I do not have time to be on UKY right now, yet here I am.  ;D  Board meeting on Monday this month - I hate that.  I'll be working all weekend, even though I have WAY too many plans on this weekend.  Forecast for closing out the year doesn't just look "pants" but "sh*t in the pants, pants."  It's not going to go down well.  And I have all the department heads screaming for more headcount, bonuses, and raises.  HA!  Reality will set in on Monday.  Oh, and the company owner wants to do a company-wide conference in Marbella next year.  Not gonna happen. 

2.  Things went around in the recruitment in a very roundabout way and the American I interviewed a few weeks ago has taken the role.  Will be interesting....  not because she's American.  I don't think the role or company is right for her.  Hopefully I have the wrong impression and she won't be a short timer.

3.  Husband is back in town.  He was already in bed when I got home last night.  And I'm out tonight... if I get out of work ever.  So who knows when I'll see him.  He woke the 4 year old for a wee when he got home and yet she said he didn't last night and she still hasn't seen him.  The baby FREAKED out when the babysitter arrived last night.  I think with Daddy having been out of town for a week, he knew I was going and was worried how long for!  He calmed down very quickly I'm told.

4.  Just got tickets to see Ricky Gervais in London on Oct 30th for £16 a ticket.  My husband will moan and moan about going into London on a Tuesday night, so they might not end up being used.  We shall see.

5.  Supposed to do a pumpkin patch on Sunday but plans with friends are getting complicated.  And I have so much work to do and I may need to come into the office.  So we shall see.

UGH.  It's going to be a long, sucky weekend!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6162 on: October 19, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
Hope everyone's Friday is going great!

1. I'm finally here living in the UK! Arrived last Saturday. Feels surreal and weird that I don't have to go back to America.
2. Though I am happy to be here with my husband and stepdaughter, I'm already missing my mom and stepdad. It was actually kind of nice living with them for a while. Like a safe haven.
3. Picked up my BRP yesterday. Was easy breezy. Hubby got super excited when he saw it... guess he felt that made it really official!
4. Going to go see about registering with a GP shortly. I can't say I am excited about traversing the British healthcare system but hey, at least I won't have to take out a second mortgage on my house to pay medical bills.
5. When I arrived here on Saturday, my love had decorated the outside and inside of the house with American and British flags to welcome me home. Really made me smile!  ;D
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6163 on: October 19, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
***update: toughed it out a lil longer and saw the Queen! She did a big tour of the place but I was happy just to see the first part and head home. I feel like I'm earning my British cards, finally had Fish n Chips last week and saw a member of the monarchy in person.

Wow!! How cool, Margo! I'm jealous. I cried when I saw Buckingham Palace. I can only imagine how I'd be if I actually saw the Queen herself. But I'm kind of a dork like that. I cry about almost everything!  [smiley=laugh3.gif]

4.  Just got tickets to see Ricky Gervais in London on Oct 30th for £16 a ticket.  My husband will moan and moan about going into London on a Tuesday night, so they might not end up being used.  We shall see.

Oh, I'd love to see Ricky Gervais. I hope you'll get to go!  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #6164 on: October 19, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »
Sorry your work week was sh*t, PB, but yay for ending on a quiet day.  :)

And yay for comfort and improved health, albatross!

I was surprised to see Christmas treats for sale at Aldi last week when I did the shopping.  While I agree it's too soon, I was curious about some of the treats and really really tempted to buy them.  Because I don't let a calendar control what I eat.

My five:

1. James has a proper weekend this week.  But we might have to spend it going to Salisbury.  Maybe.

2. Our friends who run the local pub where we used to live (the man is meant to be my "professional" referee) have announced that the kitchen will be closed on a day when their kitchen is not normally closed.  We think someone may have passed away, but we haven't heard officially, yet.  And that may be why they haven't had a chance to reply to my husband's email.

3. I just realized the Blizzard party is about 2 weeks away, and I never heard back from the organizers of the Wine, Cheese and Chocolate festival, so it looks like the pub option wins.  I am eyeing The Knights Templar , which is described as "Large Wetherspoon's pub in a modern building with an all-day food menu and free WiFi" and conveniently located right across from the train station 0.1 miles to the northwest.  They're open 'til 11pm, after which, anybody who wants to can continue the fun at the Holiday Inn Express (across from the train station 0.2 miles to the southwest, so not too far to walk from one location to the next).  Mollie (@TeamTollie) or I will update the Blizzard thread shortly.

4. My citizenship application is happening all of a sudden.  Wednesday.  Eep!  Based on recent citizenship application turnarounds, I think it is just maybe possible that I could get my decision by Christmas!

5.  I JUST GOT MY CARDIOLOGY REFERRAL IN THE POST!  I have a letter inviting me to book an appointment!  FINALLY!

Sponsored Links