Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410939 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6180 on: October 26, 2018, 10:53:07 AM »
Treat her as before, listen when she needs to talk, don't focus on the illness - she is not the illness - and understand she may lash out when she does not mean to do so.

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's condition. At least they found it, and it's not there stealthily doing damage due to misdiagnosis. Perhaps it can be removed?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6181 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
Wow, KF!  So much awesome!  I'm sorry you had to sit back and see your husband and daughter go have so much fun without you, but I'm so glad they had that time together!  Still keeping Sobe in my thoughts.  I hope he gets cleared up with this round of antibiotics.

Ahhh!  Only KF's post was up when I started, so now I'm seeing Nan's #1 for the first time... compare that to my #2!  Funny.  :)

Albatross!  I want to see Bohemian Rhapsody so bad!  Let us know if it's ... well... no spoilers.  But just let us know if you were happy or disappointed with the portrayal of Freddie Mercury.  Meanwhile, I am so sorry about your work friend.  I don't have any better advice than what Nan has said.

My five:

1. Phew!  Nine days ago, "applying for citizenship" was a thing in the back of my mind as something I needed to do "soon". Then I learned a week ago Thursday that they were ending NDRS this week and appointment slots were all booked, and I went into full panic mode.  Found an opening where someone else had canceled, pulled all my referees and supporting documents together, and now I've applied for citizenship!  I still need to submit my biometrics (12 days left on the clock), but other than that, it's done!  Yay!

2. I woke up to what appeared to be sleet coming down this morning.  Sleet!  The weather app on my phone says it is currently 9° and the window says the sun is shining, but that doesn't change what happened this morning.

3.  My professional referee and family are coming to Llanelli on Monday to visit his mother and her companion, and my husband and I will be meeting them for dinner in the evening.  I haven't seen them since we moved house nearly two years ago, and he just signed a referee declaration for my application... I need to get them a nice bottle of wine.  Or something.  Actually, she drinks wine, but I don't think I've ever seen him with a drink other than beer or whiskey (and the occasional champagne for toasting).  I think I'll let my husband sort out the gift.  I'll pay for it.  :P

4.  I did not win part of $1.6Bn this week.  I mean, I didn't have a chance, as I didn't buy a ticket.  But I'm still sad about not winning.  (I don't actually need (or want!) $1.6Bn.  But I would be happy with about a £250k+ lump sum.  Pay off the mortgage, really fix our house and garden, have a bit left over for a few "fun" purchases.)

5.  When we were making the bed after washing the sheets two times ago, I noticed insulation on the lead to the heated mattress pad thing was split and there was exposed copper showing!  So glad I saw that before we burned to death.  But that meant we had to get rid of our heated mattress pad.  I can't tell you how much I've been missing it.  Especially last night when I came back from my nightly trip to the toilet, I was shivering so hard and I couldn't just turn on the mattress pad for a quick re-warming.   And don't even suggest it... my husband does not want my cold feet anywhere near him.    :(
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6182 on: October 26, 2018, 11:11:08 AM »
The trouble is, I don't even know what that means... 'be there for her'.  She's not the 'needy' type.  She would never even say if she needed help with something.

Could you do something helpful to her daily life - like perhaps make a dinner for her/her family and drop it off to her one night just to make her life easier for a night? Not sure what type of friendship you have outside of work so not sure if that would be too awkward.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6183 on: October 26, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
Enjoy bohemian rhapsody Albatross. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :( If you have the capability, offering help around the house for all the little things may go a long way. Or a gift certificate for some delivery meals of her choosing. When you're sick, and the type who doesn't ask for help, people volunteering mean a lot. If it might help her (or her family) my friend wrote a graphic novel about her experience living with metastatic breast cancer, built from a comic series she published on The Walrus (a Canadian magazine). It's called In Between Days by Teva Harrison. She's already beaten the odds thanks to clinical trials.

I love Les Miserables, but I knew the music long before seeing the show. My sister was addicted to it in high school. I hope you enjoy it KFdancer.

And I am so happy to have my electric blanket. I hope you can replace the mattress pad soon JFKimberley!

1. I really love fall and I'm sad we don't get the color changing leaves like they do up north. Seems like the leaves just yellow a bit and fall off.  But I am grateful it's stayed warm until today. It snowed back home and it was long sleeve shirt weather here.

2. I visited the garden center yesterday, and I love end of season sales. Gigantic pretty ceramic pots for £15. Next year I will have a bigger patio garden :)

3. Last week I thought I would try slowly increasing my activity, and there were a few things we had to do. I did the grocery shopping one day, a short walk (10 minutes) the next, helped carefully weed the garden on Sunday (husband did most of it), and then my body said nope nope nope. My knee and ankle have been swollen all week. I guess I better get it checked out if it doesn't go down soon and ask for a physio referral. :(

4. We are finally winning the flea battle w/ Elly. She hasn't scratched in a while so I am hoping by keeping up on her treatment they'll go away soon.

5. My husband is buying my Xmas present early. A friend was selling their old but still very functional turntables so I will happily be able to mix my records again. (for my own enjoyment, I'm not a great dj.) So I'll be catching up with him in a few weeks as he passes by us for a fishing trip.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 82
« Reply #6184 on: October 26, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
1. It's Friday which means wine night!!!

2. My tiny human wrecked the house in 5  while daddy was watching her, proving she isn't the angel he swears she is and it must be something I am doing. Hahaha

3. I've completed my NVQ this week

4. Did I mention wine

5. I'll be leaving work today as an immigrant, and returning on Monday as a citizen. My ceremony is Sunday!!! Woooooo hoooooo!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6185 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »

5. I'll be leaving work today as an immigrant, and returning on Monday as a citizen. My ceremony is Sunday!!! Woooooo hoooooo!!

Best Friday Five ever!!!  ;D

« Reply #6186 on: October 26, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
1. It's Friday which means wine night!!!

2. My tiny human wrecked the house in 5  while daddy was watching her, proving she isn't the angel he swears she is and it must be something I am doing. Hahaha

3. I've completed my NVQ this week

4. Did I mention wine

Best Friday Five ever!!!  ;D

I concur.  You nailed it!  I love your second one.  But, of course, nothing beats #5!  Congratulations!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6187 on: October 26, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
I concur, #2 is so funny. But congrats on becoming a citizen!! So exciting. I think there may need to be some champagne this weekend too!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6188 on: October 26, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
It's Friday, though, at the moment all of the days are just sort of melding into one long day... It'll get better.

Congrats to you, JennyEye! And I'm with you... there shall be lots of wine for me tonight too!

1. Super duper stoked to wake up this morning to the new Thom Yorke soundtrack for the "Suspirium" remake already downloaded to my phone because I pre-ordered it! My ears are delighted.

2. Got my hair straightened by a girl in town last night. She had no real experience doing African-American hair but I guided her along the way and she actually did a decent job. It took like 4 hours but in her defense, I have A LOT of hair. I'm sure with a few more tries she'll have it on lock.

3. One of my favorite parts of everyday here is when the horses go by my window. They just went by right now with the little buggy. So cute! There's an equestrian facility just up the road. I really enjoy seeing all of the animals around these parts.

4.The Penrith Winter Droving festival is tomorrow. I've never been to something like this so I'm very curious to see what it's all about. Apparently, we are to wear masks... Interesting...

5.It's really blue and sunny out right now... I hear the birds chirping away. I think maybe I should take advantage and go for a nice autumn walk.

:)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6189 on: October 26, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
Not sure if I have 5 things today, but I'll give it a go:

1. Sounds like we could be moving to just being on-call at weekends soon... hopefully starting in a couple of weeks, though it would have been nice to start it next weekend, as I have to drive down to the Blizzard Party after my night shift and just being on-call instead of actually on shift would mean more sleep!

2. I'm annoyed with my roster over the next 2 months - I'm scheduled to work almost every weekend, which means I'm struggling to get to events that I'm being invited to... the Blizzard Party being one (though I finish work Saturday morning), then a Christmas meet-up with friends in London in December. I haven't been able to make the London meet-up since 2015, due to working overseas, so this year I deliberately made sure to be in the UK during December so I would be around to go to it... except the meet-up is on a Saturday and I'm working Friday and Saturday nights! Current plan is to forego sleep and try to get to London and back between the shifts... Of course, if we do go 'on-call' it'll make things much easier as I may not be needed in work anyway.

3. Just found out that the new 'School' documentary starting on BBC Two on November 6th features my secondary school (one of my old teachers is in the promo: ).
The school was really good when I attended and had a great reputation, but it has really gone downhill in the last 15 years - it has been made an academy and in the Ofsted reports, it has gone from either Outstanding or Good (can't remember which) to Inadequate :(!

4. I've ordered pizza for dinner tonight... probably shouldn't be spending the money on it, but I've been craving it all week :P.

5. Can't seem to think of a number 5 :P.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:30:01 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 82
« Reply #6190 on: October 26, 2018, 01:33:47 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm over the moon!! :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6191 on: October 26, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
Congrats to the new citizen and sorry to hear of your friend Albatross.

I just got back from an awesome all you can eat Chinese buffet in Uxbridge.  I  started with an entire plate full of fried stuff, like asparagus and crab claws, then soup, then chicken curry over rice, then bananas fried and covered in toffee, then a slice of cheesecake
All you can eat!

Tonight is what used to be Star Trek night and is now Once Upon A time night.  The tradition is we get a good desert to eat in front of the TV, but I can't eat any more sweets today

I am going swimming after work at the open air heated pool, hope I don't sink like a rock

I would rather eat my own hand than go see a musical about French People, sorry not sorry KFDANCER.

« Reply #6192 on: October 26, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
I would rather collect Sobe's urine test than see a musical

« Reply #6193 on: October 26, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
I just got back from an awesome all you can eat Chinese buffet in Uxbridge.  I  started with an entire plate full of fried stuff, like asparagus and crab claws, then soup, then chicken curry over rice, then bananas fried and covered in toffee, then a slice of cheesecake
All you can eat!

Eggrolls or it wasn't awesome.  And I know there weren't eggrolls.

The cheesecake... was it proper cheesecake, or was it the no-bake fake stuff they pass off as cheesecake in this country?  I haven't had a good cheesecake is so long.

Still... an all you can eat Chinese buffet is pretty 'American'.  Yay!

Whose pool?  Do we all hate you?

« Reply #6194 on: October 26, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »

There were egg rolls, maybe even several varieties.  And all kinds of steamed buns and dim sum.

The pool is public, run by the YMCA.  Open till 9 tonight. The only thing I like about winter is the pool will be less crowded.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask about the printed circuit board you mentioned.  What's the deal?  Are you soldering?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab